Area bounded inside the quarter-circles.

In summary, the person is trying to find an equation that will solve for the area of a unit square. Once they solve for the area of a unit square, they are able to solve for the area of a quarter circle, and then the area of a triangle.
kensaurus
Its a question that I had from a friend in the past.
I had tried solving it but to no avail.

Have tried integration and stuff like that, but I think there is an easier way to solve this question.

Question -> Square of 7cm, find the shaded area.
[PLAIN]http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/555/questionx.jpg

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Call the area in the center Z, the four pieces that border Z Y, and the flattish triangular pieces that don't border Z X.

Now write three equations based on the following:

1) The area of one of the quartercircles is pi/4 times the area of the square.
2) Consider the area if you take the two quartercircles at opposite ends of a diagonal. Together they are pi/2 * area of the square. But the entire square is included in both, with some excess.
3) Consider the "rounded" equilateral triangle made up of Z and the two Ys and X on one side of the square. Find the area of this "rounded" equilateral triangle, and set it equal to those three.

Once you do this you'll have three equations in three unknowns and voila!

i just realized that the equations can't be solved based on your equations.

it still results in 2 equations and I AM UNABLE to find your third equation. any help please?

Last edited:
You can find the area of piece X by integration.

ehild

so it all comes down to integration?
okay, thanks...

btw, this was a question from mensa, so i think there should be a brilliant way to solve it -.-

It doesn't look to hard to split the center piece into 4 triangles and 4 circular segments.

But anyways, who's more brilliant? The person who solves it in a minute with integration, or the person who spends 5 minutes trying to come up with a "brilliant" solution? :wink:

For a unit square, the three equations are:

[itex] X + 2Y = 1 - \pi/4 [/itex]
[itex] Z + 2Y = \pi/2 - 1 [/itex]
[itex] X + 2Y + Z = \pi/3 - \sqrt{3}/4 [/itex]

Solving these yields [itex] Z = \pi/3 + 1 - \sqrt{3} [/itex]

hgfalling said:
For a unit square, the three equations are:

[itex] X + 2Y = 1 - \pi/4 [/itex]
[itex] Z + 2Y = \pi/2 - 1 [/itex]
[itex] X + 2Y + Z = \pi/3 - \sqrt{3}/4 [/itex]

Solving these yields [itex] Z = \pi/3 + 1 - \sqrt{3} [/itex]

It is really brilliant! But isn't a typo in the first equation ? It should be [itex] 2X + Y = 1 - \pi/4 [/itex], isn't it?

ehild

Oh, right, that's correct.

Related to Area bounded inside the quarter-circles.

1. What is the formula for finding the area bounded inside the quarter-circles?

The formula for finding the area bounded inside the quarter-circles is A = πr2/2, where r is the radius of the quarter-circles.

2. How do you calculate the radius of the quarter-circles?

The radius of the quarter-circles can be calculated by dividing the diameter of the full circle by 2. In other words, the radius is half the length of the diameter.

3. What is the total area of the figure formed by the quarter-circles?

The total area of the figure formed by the quarter-circles is equal to the sum of the areas of the two quarter-circles. This can be calculated by multiplying the area of one quarter-circle by 2.

4. Can the area bounded inside the quarter-circles be expressed in terms of the circumference of the full circle?

Yes, the area bounded inside the quarter-circles can be expressed in terms of the circumference of the full circle. It is equal to (π/4)(C2/π), where C is the circumference of the full circle.

5. Is there a real-life application of this concept?

Yes, this concept can be applied in various fields such as architecture, engineering, and physics. For example, it can be used to calculate the area of curved surfaces or to determine the amount of material needed for a circular structure with quarter-circles at each corner.