Area Moment of Inerita simple rectangle composite I'm lost

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 5K views
frozenguy
Messages
186
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Determine the moments of the inertia of the Z-section about its centroidal x0 and y0 axes.
I didn't draw them in, but the x0 axis is 80[mm] up from the bottom and the y0 axis is 90[mm] from the left most point. So it is in the middle of the piece.

The Attempt at a Solution



So I guess I'm confused as to whether or not I need to even set up this chart since its only asking for [tex]\bar{I}x[/tex] and [tex]\bar{I}y[/tex]. Its just the sum of each from the three different parts? If I do need the chart, what is dx a distance from/to? I don't think my numbers are right at all.

I have the answers in the book.
staticsprobA43.jpg
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Your values for dx an dy appear correct (d = distance from centroid of area to centroid of shape). But your chart is missing the Ix and Iy values, of the areas you designate as 1 and 3, about their individual centroids. You need the parallel axis theorem to compute the Ix and Iy of the overall shape.