1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Area Moment of Inerita simple rectangle composite I'm lost

1. May 23, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Determine the moments of the inertia of the Z-section about its centroidal x0 and y0 axes.
    I didn't draw them in, but the x0 axis is 80[mm] up from the bottom and the y0 axis is 90[mm] from the left most point. So it is in the middle of the piece.

3. The attempt at a solution

So I guess I'm confused as to whether or not I need to even set up this chart since its only asking for [tex]\bar{I}x[/tex] and [tex]\bar{I}y[/tex]. Its just the sum of each from the three different parts? If I do need the chart, what is dx a distance from/to? I dont think my numbers are right at all.

I have the answers in the book.
    staticsprobA43.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2010 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your values for dx an dy appear correct (d = distance from centroid of area to centroid of shape). But your chart is missing the Ix and Iy values, of the areas you designate as 1 and 3, about their individual centroids. You need the parallel axis theorem to compute the Ix and Iy of the overall shape.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook