1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Area of a graph with polar coordinates

1. Jul 2, 2008 #1
    I'm trying to plot the graph r = sin 3t and find its area.

This is how far I've gotten:

The graph looks like a plane propellor with one propellor pointing downward, and two pointing up-left / up-right, with the length of each equal to 1. Now to get the area...

I have to figure out where the graph reaches 0... which I'm not sure how to do (I solve sin3t = 0 and get t = 0, pi, 2pi ?? )...
    or...
    I can just get the area from 0 to 2pi... so i'll try that:

A = intergral of (1/2 (sin 3t)^2 dt) from 0 to 2pi

the solution is:
    1/2( t/2 - 1/12 sin(6t) )

If I plug in 0 or 2pi into this and solve, the last term becomes 0 and I get a weird answer... what do I do?!?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 2, 2008 #2
    [tex]\frac 1 2\int_a^b r^2d\theta[/tex]

[tex]\sin\theta=0[/tex]

[tex]\theta=0, \ \pi, \ 2\pi[/tex]

So the first limit starts and ends from [tex][0,\pi][/tex] for [tex]\sin\theta[/tex], but you want [tex]\sin 3\theta[/tex], so [tex]3\theta=...[/tex]

Solve for [tex]\theta[/tex], that would be your first limit of integration, and just multiply by a "constant" that gets you the whole area.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2008
  4. Jul 2, 2008 #3
    can you elaborate on what you wrote a bit?

sorry i'm just not sure how you got that theta = 0, pi, 2pi/3... since this last one does not equal 0 for sin(theta)

also 3*theta = inverse sin( 0, pi, etc.) = 0
    therefore, 2pi/3 works here since it becomes 2pi and sin2pi = 0...

5. Jul 2, 2008 #4
    Sorry! I was fixing latex and brain froze a bit and accidently put down 2pi/3. Should be 2pi as you said.

Anyways, you just want the starting point (obviously 0) and the ending point which it becomes 0 again for the first petal. You only need sint=0, which is 0-pi. Now find it for sin3t.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2008
  6. Jul 3, 2008 #5
    hey i got it! sweet!
    appreciate your help :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?