How do I find the area of a Quadrilateral?

• Thread starter zak100
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area
In summary, the conversation is about finding the area of a quadrilateral using the distance formula. The person initially divided the quadrilateral into two triangles, but their answer was incorrect. Other users suggest using the altitude formula or Pick's theorem to solve the problem. However, the correct solution is to use the distance formula and then calculate the area of the triangle using the alt * base formula. The conversation also includes a discussion about whether or not one of the triangles is a right triangle.
zak100
Originally posted in a non-homework forum section
Hi,
I got a question from a book to find the area of a Quadrilateral. I divided the quadrilateral into two triangles but answer is not correct. Some body please guide me.

I am uploading my work in a attached file.

Zulfi.
Book Page 315.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
For ADB, did you write ##A=\frac {1}{2}(6)(4)^2##?

And is triangle DBC a right triangle?

Last edited:
Oh, and this should also be in the homework forum, not general math.

For ADB is correct. For the second isn't simply ##\frac{1}{2}6\times 6##, hint: calculate ##BD## and ##DC## (that are not ##6##) ...

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
Ssnow said:
For ADB is correct. For the second isn't simply ##\frac{1}{2}6\times 6##, hint: calculate ##BD## and ##DC## (that are not ##6##) ...
distance formula :)

Likes Ssnow
Hi,
Thanks for replies. This is not a hw. Its exam preparation. But i would put my future questions related to book in a homework forum. I think you judge hws with the usage of books?
BD= sqrt(sqr( 5-1) + sqr(1-7))
= sqrt(16 + 36)
=2 *Sqrt(13)
Ans=? (I can't use calculator in exam)
DC = sqrt(sqr(11-5) + sqr(5-1))
= sqrt(36 + 16)
= 2*sqrt(13)

area of DBC = 1/2 (2*sqrt(13)) * ( 2 *sqrt(13))
Ans = 26

Area od ABCD = 26 + 12 =38.

This is the correct answer. Thanks.

Zulfi.

zak100 said:
Hi,
Thanks for replies. This is not a hw. Its exam preparation. But i would put my future questions related to book in a homework forum. I think you judge hws with the usage of books?
BD= sqrt(sqr( 5-1) + sqr(1-7))
= sqrt(16 + 36)
=2 *Sqrt(13)
Ans=? (I can't use calculator in exam)
DC = sqrt(sqr(11-5) + sqr(5-1))
= sqrt(36 + 16)
= 2*sqrt(13)

area of DBC = 1/2 (2*sqrt(13)) * ( 2 *sqrt(13))
Ans = 26

Area od ABCD = 26 + 12 =38.

This is the correct answer. Thanks.

Zulfi.
How do you know that ΔDBC is a right triangle ?

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
Hi,
No I am not saying that DBC is a right angle triangle. That's why i think they have asked me to use distance formula. However from fig it looks that ABD is a right angle triangle, so i am not using distance formula here and calculating the area directly using 1/2 alt * base formula.

I also have a question:
for triangle DBC why are we using sides DB & DC? why can't we take sides DB & BC??
Some body please guide me.

Zulfi.

zak100 said:
Hi,
No I am not saying that DBC is a right angle triangle. That's why i think they have asked me to use distance formula. However from fig it looks that ABD is a right angle triangle, so i am not using distance formula here and calculating the area directly using 1/2 alt * base formula.

I also have a question:
for triangle DBC why are we using sides DB & DC? why can't we take sides DB & BC??
Some body please guide me.

Zulfi.
What are you using as a formula to calculate the area of a triangle ?

The altitude is the perpendicular distance from the base to the opposite vertex.

Last edited:
Likes ProfuselyQuarky
ProfuselyQuarky said:
Oh, and this should also be in the homework forum, not general math.
Thread moved.

zak100 said:
This forum section is for homework and coursework, which includes problems found in textbooks.

SammyS said:
How do you know that ΔDBC is a right triangle ?
SammyS said:
What are you using as a formula to calculate the area of a triangle ?

The altitude is the perpendicular distance from the base to the opposite vertex.
That is why I asked whether DBC was a right triangle or not. If DBC is not a right triangle, then you can not you ##A=\frac {1}{2}bh## to find the area. Instead, you have to use Heron’s theorem which states ##A=\sqrt {(s-a)(s-b)(s-c)}## where ##s=\frac {1}{2}(a+b+c)## and variables ##a##, ##b##, and ##c## are the sides of the triangle.

ProfuselyQuarky said:
That is why I asked whether DBC was a right triangle or not. If DBC is not a right triangle, then you can not you ##A=\frac {1}{2}bh## to find the area. Instead, you have to use Heron’s theorem which states ##A=\sqrt {(s-a)(s-b)(s-c)}## where ##s=\frac {1}{2}(a+b+c)## and variables ##a##, ##b##, and ##c## are the sides of the triangle.
Are you giving the solution, or are you trying to help OP.

Heron's theorem is not needed here.

SammyS said:
Are you giving the solution, or are you trying to help OP.

Heron's theorem is not needed here.
I was just helping the OP overall. Nothing to do with the specific problem :smile:

One easy way to solve this kind of exercises is a variation on the "box method", illustrated here for the area of a triangle.

Add the points E(11,7) and F(11,1) to your graph, and the area of ABCD can be easily computed:

quadri.jpg

Or decompose your quadrilateral as follows:

quadri2.jpg

Likes ProfuselyQuarky and SammyS
@Samy_A Nice pictures. What software did you use for them?

LCKurtz said:
@Samy_A Nice pictures. What software did you use for them?
Geogebra

Likes Samy_A

1. What is the formula for finding the area of a quadrilateral?

The formula for finding the area of a quadrilateral is different depending on the type of quadrilateral. For a square or rectangle, the formula is length x width. For a parallelogram, the formula is base x height. For a trapezoid, the formula is 1/2 x (sum of bases) x height. For a kite or rhombus, the formula is 1/2 x (product of diagonals).

2. How do I know if a quadrilateral is a square, rectangle, parallelogram, trapezoid, or kite/rhombus?

To determine the type of quadrilateral, you can look at the given information about the shape. A square has four equal sides and four right angles. A rectangle has four right angles, but its sides can be different lengths. A parallelogram has two pairs of parallel sides. A trapezoid has one pair of parallel sides. A kite has two pairs of equal adjacent sides, while a rhombus has four equal sides.

3. Can I use the same formula to find the area of any quadrilateral?

No, you cannot use the same formula for every quadrilateral. As mentioned before, the formula for finding the area depends on the type of quadrilateral. Using the wrong formula will give you an incorrect answer.

4. What are the units for the area of a quadrilateral?

The units for area are typically squared, such as square inches or square meters. However, it is important to use the same units for both the length and width or base and height when calculating the area.

5. Can the area of a quadrilateral be negative?

No, the area of a quadrilateral cannot be negative. It is a measure of the space inside the shape, so it cannot have a negative value. If you get a negative answer when calculating the area, it is likely due to an error in your calculation or using the wrong formula.