1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Area of sphere-continuum mechanics

1. Jul 10, 2016 #1
    suppose I have a sphere that has radius with the vlaue of 1.
    the integral is:∫∫n⊗ndA
    where dA = sinθdθdφ

what is n⊗n????
    I'm supposed to the area of the sphere.

This question was in an exam in continuum mechanics in the Technion

Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2016 #2
    It looks like the tensor product of the unit normal vector by itself. For which purpose such an expression is considered depends on the environment

4. Jul 10, 2016 #3

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Welcome to Physics Forums!

What's the context? Usually ##\vec{a} \otimes \vec{b}## denotes the tensor product of two vectors. In Cartesian components it denotes the tensor ##T_{jk}=a_j b_k##. For a unit vector ##\vec{n}## it's also the projection operator to this direction, ##\vec{a}_n=\vec{n} \otimes \vec{n} \cdot \vec{a}=\vec{n} (\vec{n} \cdot \vec{a})##.

5. Jul 10, 2016 #4
    I'm supposed to find the area of the sphere.

This question was in an exam in continuum mechanics in the Technion

what is n in sphere coordinates?

6. Jul 10, 2016 #5
    If the sphere is determined by the equation ##\boldsymbol r=\boldsymbol r(\theta,\phi)## then the area element can be expressed in outdated terms as follows ##dA=\Big|\frac{\partial\boldsymbol r}{\partial \theta}\times\frac{\partial\boldsymbol r}{\partial \phi}\Big|d\theta d\phi##. I can not find another reason to mention the normal vector in this context

7. Jul 10, 2016 #6
    On the surface of a sphere with its center at the origin, n is the same as the unit vector in the spherical coordinate radial direction.

8. Jul 10, 2016 #7

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

A sphere can be parametrized by spherical coordinates (with the exception of the two points at the polar axis):
    $$\vec{x}(\vartheta,\varphi)=R \begin{pmatrix} \sin \vartheta \cos \varphi \\ \sin \vartheta \sin \varphi \\ \cos \vartheta \end{pmatrix}.$$
    The coordinate lines build a mesh, defining tangent vectors which span the surface-vector elements
    $$\mathrm{d} \vec{F} = \mathrm{d} \vartheta \mathrm{d} \varphi \frac{\partial \vec{x}}{\partial \vartheta} \times \frac{\partial \vec{x}}{\partial \varphi} = R^2 \sin \vartheta \begin{pmatrix} \sin \vartheta \cos \varphi \\ \sin \vartheta \sin \varphi \\ \cos \vartheta \end{pmatrix}.$$
    The surface normal vectors are the unit vectors in direction of ##\vec{x}##, i.e.,
    $$\vec{n} = \frac{\vec{x}}{|\vec{x}|}=\frac{\vec{x}}{R} = \begin{pmatrix} \sin \vartheta \cos \varphi \\ \sin \vartheta \sin \varphi \\ \cos \vartheta \end{pmatrix}.$$
    To evaluate the surface of the sphere you just take the modulus of the surface vectors and integrate over ##\vartheta \in [0,\pi]##, ##\varphi \in [0,2 \pi]##:
    $$S=\int_{0}^{\pi} \mathrm{d} \vartheta \int_0^{2 \pi} \mathrm{\varphi} R^2 \sin \vartheta=4 \pi R^2,$$
    as it should be.

I'm still not sure, what all this has to do with your original question, where you look at a dyad (Kornecker product ##\vec{n} \otimes \vec{n}##), which is a 2nd-rank tensor by definition.

9. Jul 10, 2016 #8

10. Jul 10, 2016 #9
    thank you all very much! you have all directed me to the right answer

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted