Area under Curve: Find x-intercept & y-intercept

In summary, the area bound by the two given curves is calculated using the formula dA = (upper curve - lower curve) dx, with the upper curve being 2sqrt(x) and the lower curve being x. After integration, the final area is found to be 16, with the correct integrand being 2sqrt(x) - x.
uradnky

Homework Statement

Find the area bound by y= x - 2[tex]\sqrt{x}[/tex] and y=0

The Attempt at a Solution

X intercept = 4
Y intercept = 0

Using verticle rectangles..

dA = ((Upper curve)-(Lower curve)) dx
[tex]\int[/tex](dA = [tex]\int[/tex](0-(x-2[tex]\sqrt{x}[/tex])) dx

A= -(1/2X^2)-((2x^(3/2))/(2/3)) Evaluated from 0 to 4

A= 16

I understand this is an extremely easy question but I just cannot see where I have gone wrong with it. Is there a problem with my signs since the area I am finding is below the x-axis? Sorry if this is a bit messy, any help is appecricated, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You should be calculating [tex]\int[/tex]2sqrt(x) - x from 0 to 4.

That was easy. Thanks.

Related to Area under Curve: Find x-intercept & y-intercept

1. What is the purpose of finding the x-intercept and y-intercept of a curve?

Finding the x-intercept and y-intercept of a curve is useful for determining the points where the curve crosses the x-axis and y-axis, respectively. This information can be used to analyze the behavior of the curve and make predictions about its values at specific points.

2. How do you find the x-intercept and y-intercept of a curve?

To find the x-intercept, set the y-value of the curve to 0 and solve for the corresponding x-value. To find the y-intercept, set the x-value of the curve to 0 and solve for the corresponding y-value. This can be done algebraically or graphically.

3. Can the x-intercept and y-intercept of a curve be negative?

Yes, the x-intercept and y-intercept of a curve can be negative. This simply means that the curve crosses the x-axis and y-axis at points with negative coordinates.

4. Is there a relationship between the x-intercept and y-intercept of a curve?

The x-intercept and y-intercept of a curve are not directly related. However, they can be used together to determine the slope of the curve at a specific point.

5. How can finding the x-intercept and y-intercept help in real-world applications?

In real-world applications, the x-intercept and y-intercept can provide valuable information about the behavior of a curve. For example, in economics, the x-intercept can represent the break-even point for a business, while the y-intercept can represent the initial investment. In science, the x-intercept and y-intercept can help in analyzing data and making predictions about the behavior of a system.