Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Area under graph when log-log scale gives straight line

1. Mar 5, 2009 #1
    Hi,

I have a graph with a frequency on the x axis and power density on the y axis. Both scales are logarithmic, and the graph shows a straight line between the points (110Hz, 0.001V^2/Hz) and (200Hz, 0.004V^2/Hz). I need to work out the area under this portion of the graph as it relates to total power.

So, my understanding is I need to find the function of the line, then set up and evaluate a definite intergral between 110Hz and 200Hz. My real question is, how do I work out the function of the line, and is this a correct method?

Thanks

Rob

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That straight line has slope .0001/3 and passes through 0(110Hz, 0.001) so has equation log(y)= (0.0001/3)(x- 110)+ 0.001. Taking exponentials of both sides,
    [tex]y= (e^{0.001})e^{\frac{0.0001(x-110)}{3}}[/tex]

That should not be difficult to integrate.

4. Mar 5, 2009 #3
    ok, i can integrate that, my real question is about how you found the function of y... How did you find that slope?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook