1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Arithmetic progressions

1. Oct 9, 2007 #1
    a question came up

"show that the arithmetic progression ax+b contains an infinite subsequence (not necessarily a progression), every two of whose elements are relatively prime."

i have a hunch that the chinese remainder theorem has something to do with this, but I'm not sure how. any thoughts?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2007 #2
    Is that true? What if a=2, b=o?

4. Oct 9, 2007 #3
    sorry, assuming a, b are non zero

5. Oct 9, 2007 #4
    Then a=2, b=2 is a counterexample. I think you really need that a and b are coprime, in which case the sequence actually contains infinitely many primes.

6. Oct 9, 2007 #5
    right again. its actually a two part question so it says on the top that (a,b) = 1, i forget to mention; if so (now that we finally got the problem) how is the CRT applicable here?

7. Oct 9, 2007 #6
    and deriving some sort of solution that does not employ dirichlet's theorem, i think, because then that would be obvious; i really do not know how the CRT can be used here.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?