Finding the nth Term of an Arithmetic Sequence

In summary, the nth term of an arithmetic sequence can be determined by the formula an = a1 + d(n-1), where a1 is the first term, d is the common difference, and n is the term number. In this case, the sum of the first n terms, Sn, is given by Sn = 3n2 - n. After solving for a1 + an = 6n - 2 and using the formula for the nth term, it can be seen that the common difference is 6 and the first term is 2. Therefore, the nth term of the sequence is given by an = 6n - 4.
demonelite123
The sum of the first n terms in a certain arithmetic sequence is given by Sn = 3n2 - n. Show that the nth term of the sequence is given by an = 6n - 4.

so far i have done:
Sn = (n / 2) (a1 + an) = 3n2 - n
i solved for a1 + an = 6n - 2

i also have an = a1 + d(n-1).

i don't know what do to next. please help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
d = 6, from [tex]{d'}_{n} = S_{n+1} - S_{n}[/tex] and then evaluate [tex]d = {d'}_{n+1} - {d'}_n =6[/tex]
and note that [tex]a_1 = S_1[/tex]

i don't understand what dn is. isn't d just the common difference? how come there's an apostrophe on it?

demonelite123 said:
i don't understand what dn is. isn't d just the common difference? how come there's an apostrophe on it?

the way I have written it, [tex]d'[/tex] is not actually [tex]d[/tex] in the defintion of: [tex]a_n = a_1 + d (n-1)[/tex]
so I put the "prime" or apostrophe on it. But the difference between two consecutive [tex]d'[/tex] is the [tex]d[/tex] we are after... write down the sequence and the progression and work out the differences between consecutive entries to see the pattern and visualise how these results are derived.

sorry i don't understand this part: Sn+1 - Sn = d' and then evaluate d = d'n+1 - d'n = 6.

how did you find what d'n+1 was? and how did you know d = 6?

You are told that the sum of the first n terms is 3n2- n. Then the first term, alone, a1= 3(12)- 1= 2. Also the sum of the first two terms is a1+ a2= 3(22)- 2= 10 so a2= 10- a1= 10- 2= 8. So the first term is 2 and the common difference is 8-2= 6. The nth term is 2+ 6(n-1)= 2+ 6n- 6= 6n- 4.

thanks a bunch!
i don't know why i didn't think of that!

1. What is an arithmetic sequence?

An arithmetic sequence is a sequence of numbers where the difference between consecutive terms is constant. This means that each term in the sequence is obtained by adding or subtracting the same number from the previous term.

2. How do you find the common difference in an arithmetic sequence?

The common difference in an arithmetic sequence can be found by subtracting any term from the previous term. This will give you the same value for each term in the sequence.

3. How do you find the nth term in an arithmetic sequence?

The formula for finding the nth term in an arithmetic sequence is: an = a1 + (n-1)d, where an is the nth term, a1 is the first term, and d is the common difference.

4. How do you find the sum of an arithmetic sequence?

The sum of an arithmetic sequence can be found using the formula: Sn = (n/2)(a1 + an), where Sn is the sum, n is the number of terms, a1 is the first term, and an is the nth term.

5. How can arithmetic sequences be applied in real life?

Arithmetic sequences can be used in various real-life situations, such as calculating interest rates, population growth, and depreciation of assets. They can also be used in solving problems involving patterns and sequences, and in creating mathematical models for predicting future values.