Can someone explain the reverse sum in arithmetic series?

In summary, the formula for arithmetic series is sn = n/2 (2a + (n-1)d), where a is the first term, d is the common difference, and n is the number of terms. The concept of reversing the sum is used to get pairs of numbers that have the same sum, and then dividing by 2 to get the actual sum of the series. This is part of the derivation of the formula and can be found in any Algebra 2 textbook.
roger
Please can someone help me with arithmetic series.

I don't understand why you reverse the sum when summing 1 to 100.

also I don't understand the formula given : sn = n/2 ( 2a+(n-1)d )

thanks

Roger

Mathematics news on Phys.org
what do you mean by reverse the sum...? when adding the numebrs 1-100, its is clear that 1 + 100 = 101, 2 + 99 = 101, etc
therefore you can notice that you would take 101 and multiply by the number of terms. however, this would give you 2 times the sum because 2 + 99 = 99 + 2... so you then divide by 2. This in part explains the formula you have, and also notice that a + (n-1) * d is really an expression for the last term in terms of the first and d... if your looking for a complete derivation of the formula(s) look in any algebra 2 textbook.

Exacly as T@p said. If you wanted to add from, say 1+ 2+ 3+ 4+ 5+ 6 (yes, I know that's easy to do directly- its a simple example) you could write
1+ 2+ 3+ 4+ 5+ 6 and reverse:
6+ 5+ 4+ 3+ 2+ 1 and notice that the sum of each pair of numbers is 7!

since there are 6 numbers in the original sum there are 6 7's: a total of 42. But since we have added 1+ 2...+ 6 TWICE (once in reversed order), we have to divide this by 2: 42/2= 21 which is, in fact, is 1+2+3+4+5+6.

The PURPOSE of reversing the order was to get the pairs of numbers all giving the same sum. In a general arithmetic series, going from a<sub>n</sub> to a<sub>n+1</sup> we ADD the "common difference" d. When we reverse the order, we are now SUBTRACTING d: the "+d" and "-d" cancel so we always get the same sum of pairs.

Personnaly when I was presented this problem for the first time I:

-Realized that the sum of all these terms would be the same as the average of all these terms times the number of terms
-Since it's a line, the average is right at the center (or [1 + 100]/2)

That made it:

(1 + 100)/2 * 100 = 50.5 * 100 = 5050
average * number of data = sum

ooh that reverse order :) yes i remember that. its part of the derivation of the formula i think.

Related to Can someone explain the reverse sum in arithmetic series?

1. What is an arithmetic series?

An arithmetic series is a sequence of numbers in which each term is obtained by adding a constant value to the previous term. For example, 2, 5, 8, 11, 14, 17... is an arithmetic series with a common difference of 3.

2. How do you find the sum of an arithmetic series?

The formula for finding the sum of an arithmetic series is Sn = (n/2)(a1 + an), where Sn is the sum, n is the number of terms, a1 is the first term, and an is the last term. For example, the sum of the series 2, 5, 8, 11, 14, 17... with 10 terms would be (10/2)(2+17) = 95.

3. What is the difference between an arithmetic sequence and an arithmetic series?

An arithmetic sequence is a list of numbers with a constant difference between each term, while an arithmetic series is the sum of an arithmetic sequence. In other words, a series is the result of adding all the terms in a sequence.

4. Can an arithmetic series have negative numbers?

Yes, an arithmetic series can have negative numbers. As long as the terms have a constant difference, the series is still considered arithmetic. For example, -3, 0, 3, 6, 9... is an arithmetic series with a common difference of 3.

5. What are some real-life applications of arithmetic series?

Arithmetic series can be found in many real-life situations, such as calculating the total number of items sold over a period of time with a constant increase or decrease in sales, determining the total distance traveled by a vehicle with a constant speed, or finding the total amount of money earned with a constant salary increase. They can also be used in financial applications, such as calculating compound interest.