1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Arithmetic series

1. Oct 28, 2004 #1
    Please can someone help me with arithmetic series.

I dont understand why you reverse the sum when summing 1 to 100.

also I dont understand the formula given : sn = n/2 ( 2a+(n-1)d )

thanks

Roger

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2004 #2

T@P

what do you mean by reverse the sum...? when adding the numebrs 1-100, its is clear that 1 + 100 = 101, 2 + 99 = 101, etc
    therefore you can notice that you would take 101 and multiply by the number of terms. however, this would give you 2 times the sum because 2 + 99 = 99 + 2... so you then divide by 2. This in part explains the formula you have, and also notice that a + (n-1) * d is really an expression for the last term in terms of the first and d... if your looking for a complete derivation of the formula(s) look in any algebra 2 textbook.

4. Oct 28, 2004 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Exacly as T@p said. If you wanted to add from, say 1+ 2+ 3+ 4+ 5+ 6 (yes, I know that's easy to do directly- its a simple example) you could write
    1+ 2+ 3+ 4+ 5+ 6 and reverse:
    6+ 5+ 4+ 3+ 2+ 1 and notice that the sum of each pair of numbers is 7!

since there are 6 numbers in the original sum there are 6 7's: a total of 42. But since we have added 1+ 2...+ 6 TWICE (once in reversed order), we have to divide this by 2: 42/2= 21 which is, in fact, is 1+2+3+4+5+6.

The PURPOSE of reversing the order was to get the pairs of numbers all giving the same sum. In a general arithmetic series, going from a<sub>n</sub> to a<sub>n+1</sup> we ADD the "common difference" d. When we reverse the order, we are now SUBTRACTING d: the "+d" and "-d" cancel so we always get the same sum of pairs.

5. Oct 28, 2004 #4

Alkatran

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Personnaly when I was presented this problem for the first time I:

-Realized that the sum of all these terms would be the same as the average of all these terms times the number of terms
    -Since it's a line, the average is right at the center (or [1 + 100]/2)

That made it:

(1 + 100)/2 * 100 = 50.5 * 100 = 5050
    average * number of data = sum

6. Oct 28, 2004 #5

T@P

ooh that reverse order :) yes i remember that. its part of the derivation of the formula i think.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook