Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Arithmetic versus mathematics.

1. Yes! Arithmetic is needed in order to do higher maths.

14 vote(s)
    87.5%
  2. No! You can learn how to do algebra without any arithmetic at all.

2 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. Mar 12, 2008 #1
    IMO, I don't really think arithmetic is really mathematics. It's just pure calculations, that's all.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2008 #2

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Some arithmetic is an essential part of Mathematics. You certainly do not need full mastery of arithmetic in order to study "elementary algebra", but you still must have basic understanding of most of arithmetic in order to effectively begin studying "elementary algebra".

Interesting: Why do some people do well with Arithmetic in grades 1 through 7, and then struggle so hard with Introductory Algebra?

4. Mar 12, 2008 #3
    TOTALLY WRONG....... how can you build real numbers???? without real numbers you cannot have an algebra well defined or at least the usual one .....

quote from a genus:

God made the integers; all else is the work of man.
    Leopold Kronecker

regards
    marco

5. Mar 12, 2008 #4

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

"Is arithmetic part of mathematics?" No, not really. I've always considered them distinct.

"Arithmetic is needed in order to do higher maths." Oh certainly, just like math is needed to do physics.

"You can learn how to do algebra without any arithmetic at all." Not really.

6. Mar 12, 2008 #5

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

I refer you to Serre's "A course in arithmetic" since you do not seem to understand the meaning of the word.

http://www.amazon.com/Course-Arithm...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1205374518&sr=1-1

Hardcover: 132 pages
    Publisher: Springer; 1st ed. 1973. Corr. 5th printing edition (October 10, 1996)
    Language: English
    ISBN-10: 0387900403

Serre's A Course in Arithmetic is a concentrated, modern introduction to three areas of number theory, quadratic forms, Dirichlet's density theorem, and modular forms.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2008
  7. Mar 12, 2008 #6

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I am confused. I see two distinct and non-mutually-exclusive questions here:
    1] Is arithmetic part of mathematics? (your title and your post)
    2] Is arithmetic needed to do higher order math? (your poll)

Which question do you want the answer to?

8. Mar 12, 2008 #7

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Meh. That meaning of "arithmetic" was old fashioned even back when the book was published.

9. Mar 12, 2008 #8
    Arithmetic is the most useful and therefore the most important part of mathematics. You don't need to be fast or good at it, but you do need it before you can do higher maths.

10. Mar 12, 2008 #9
    Hello, CRGreathouse! This is johnny from computer science and math forum. Nice meeting you in this forum! I hope to see you around in here as well, as far as I need help on my physics homework!

11. Mar 13, 2008 #10

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Numerical analysis requires arithmetic, does that count as higher mathematics? Certain aspects certainly do, IMO.

12. Mar 13, 2008 #11

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'd say the same about high-school algebra and physics.

Ah, that's a good point.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?