Arithmetric Sequence word problem. Thanks

In summary, the problem asks for the distribution of 100 loaves of bread among 5 people in an arithmetic sequence. The first 2 people receive 1/7 of the remaining 3 people's share. The solution involves setting up a system of equations and solving for the values of a1 and d.
nukeman

Homework Statement

Ok here is the problem:

100 loaves of bread are to be distributed such that the quantities form an arithmetric sequence, among 5 people. The first 2 together receive 1/7 of the remaining 3, together. How much (loaves and fractions) does each receive?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I have this as the form:

a1, a1+d, a1+2d, a1+3d, a1+4d

Is that correct?

How do I get d?

Any help on solving this would be great. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
How much do the first two receive? How much do the remaining three receive? What is the relationship between these two quantities? This will give you one equation for a1 and d.

How much do all the people receive (in terms of a1 and d)? This will give you another equation.

Solve this linear system of two equations with two unknowns w.r.t. a1 and d.

Related to Arithmetric Sequence word problem. Thanks

1. What is an arithmetic sequence?

An arithmetic sequence is a sequence of numbers where the difference between consecutive terms is constant. This means that each term is obtained by adding or subtracting the same number from the previous term. For example, in the sequence 2, 5, 8, 11, 14, the difference between consecutive terms is 3.

2. How do I identify an arithmetic sequence in a word problem?

An arithmetic sequence can be identified in a word problem by looking for a pattern where the difference between consecutive terms is constant. The problem may also explicitly state that the sequence is arithmetic.

3. How do I find the common difference in an arithmetic sequence?

The common difference in an arithmetic sequence can be found by subtracting any two consecutive terms. This will give you the constant value that is added or subtracted to get from one term to the next.

4. How do I find a specific term in an arithmetic sequence?

To find a specific term in an arithmetic sequence, you can use the formula an = a1 + (n-1)d, where an is the nth term, a1 is the first term, and d is the common difference. Simply plug in the values given in the problem to find the desired term.

5. Can an arithmetic sequence have negative terms?

Yes, an arithmetic sequence can have negative terms. As long as the difference between consecutive terms is constant, the sequence can include both positive and negative numbers.