Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Art critics

1. Jun 23, 2005 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2005 #2
    When I viewed this piece BT, it was over on the left top corner of the page. Page placement is important to a work like this. How the eye moves around can be greatly effected by image placement. For instance, the triangle leading your eye off to the top left. Because of it's position, the eye is quickly stopped by the edge of the screen, where it might otherwise move wider before heading back to the image to seek balance.

That said, the image is interesting. Properly placed, I think it could work well as a piece of art.

4. Jun 23, 2005 #3

wolram

Gold Member

For some reason it reminds me of a panda.

5. Jun 23, 2005 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

yah, its a panda to me

6. Jun 23, 2005 #5
    I wonder if you left off the lines completing the circles in the white areas (top right and bottom left) if the mind would complete them or not? Just a thought.

7. Jun 23, 2005 #6

wolram

Gold Member

To me this type of art either suggests something, and only requires a glance,
    Or it is ambiguous, and requires study, is this part solid, or hollow or is this a
    pure black and white image.

8. Jun 23, 2005 #7
    Interesting, Artman. I had not fully considered the issue of placement. It probably would look more free in the middle of the page.
    I think that's probably because of the World Wildlife Fund logo that involves a panda, which is probably the most famous black-and-white picture that involves mental completion of lines. http://www.worldwildlife.org/

I honestly hadn't thought of that logo until you mentioned it. But it reminds me more of the front paws of a panda than the panda itself.

9. Jun 23, 2005 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hmm...I don't see a panda at all. It looks like another of BT's bicycles, though I guess this one is hanging from a rack on the wall based on the orientation. Two circles are wheels, the triangle inside the circles is the chain, and the triangle sticking out the top left is the handlebar. It's interesting enough that if it were painted on a large canvas, some would call it art (I'm personally not as enthusiastic about it being completely black and white, but would find it more eye-catching if it was placed on a bright, primary-colored background, but that's just me). It would be interesting as a template for sculpture too, leaving the white parts hollow and the black as the sculpture material...metal I suppose.

Otherwise, it would be a cool logo for a bike shop.

10. Jun 23, 2005 #9

Danger

Gold Member

I like it. I don't try to analyse stuff. My first impression was Felix the Cat with a serious hangover. It's visually pleasing, so who cares if it means anything?

11. Jun 23, 2005 #10
    if you look carefully, you can see pacman eating chips out of a bowl...

12. Jun 23, 2005 #11
    Yes, it could be a logo for a bike shop. But if the smaller triangle is the chain, then the beetling triangle would be on the wrong side to be the handlebars. Maybe the picture is more like the two sets of gears.

13. Jun 23, 2005 #12

Pengwuino

Gold Member

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

14. Jun 23, 2005 #13
    You know, I really can see that. The inside triangle would be the pedals and the outside triangle would represent what happens when the chain gets caught on the front sprocket.

15. Jun 23, 2005 #14

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I thought it was a folded nun.

16. Jun 23, 2005 #15
    Pacman: purplish blue
    Chips: Yellow
    Bowl: brown

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 23, 2005
  17. Jun 24, 2005 #16
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2005
  18. Jun 25, 2005 #17
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?