Art critics

When I viewed this piece BT, it was over on the left top corner of the page. Page placement is important to a work like this. How the eye moves around can be greatly effected by image placement. For instance, the triangle leading your eye off to the top left. Because of it's position, the eye is quickly stopped by the edge of the screen, where it might otherwise move wider before heading back to the image to seek balance.

That said, the image is interesting. Properly placed, I think it could work well as a piece of art.

wolram

Gold Member
For some reason it reminds me of a panda.

Pengwuino

Gold Member
yah, its a panda to me

I wonder if you left off the lines completing the circles in the white areas (top right and bottom left) if the mind would complete them or not? Just a thought.

wolram

Gold Member
Artman said:
I wonder if you left off the lines completing the circles in the white areas (top right and bottom left) if the mind would complete them or not? Just a thought.
To me this type of art either suggests something, and only requires a glance,
Or it is ambiguous, and requires study, is this part solid, or hollow or is this a
pure black and white image.

Interesting, Artman. I had not fully considered the issue of placement. It probably would look more free in the middle of the page.
wolram said:
For some reason it reminds me of a panda.
Pengwuino said:
yah, its a panda to me
I think that's probably because of the World Wildlife Fund logo that involves a panda, which is probably the most famous black-and-white picture that involves mental completion of lines. http://www.worldwildlife.org/

I honestly hadn't thought of that logo until you mentioned it. But it reminds me more of the front paws of a panda than the panda itself.

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hmm...I don't see a panda at all. It looks like another of BT's bicycles, though I guess this one is hanging from a rack on the wall based on the orientation. Two circles are wheels, the triangle inside the circles is the chain, and the triangle sticking out the top left is the handlebar. It's interesting enough that if it were painted on a large canvas, some would call it art (I'm personally not as enthusiastic about it being completely black and white, but would find it more eye-catching if it was placed on a bright, primary-colored background, but that's just me). It would be interesting as a template for sculpture too, leaving the white parts hollow and the black as the sculpture material...metal I suppose.

Otherwise, it would be a cool logo for a bike shop.

Danger

Gold Member
I like it. I don't try to analyse stuff. My first impression was Felix the Cat with a serious hangover. It's visually pleasing, so who cares if it means anything?

if you look carefully, you can see pacman eating chips out of a bowl...

Yes, it could be a logo for a bike shop. But if the smaller triangle is the chain, then the beetling triangle would be on the wrong side to be the handlebars. Maybe the picture is more like the two sets of gears.

Pengwuino

Gold Member
klusener said:
if you look carefully, you can see pacman eating chips out of a bowl...
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

You know, I really can see that. The inside triangle would be the pedals and the outside triangle would represent what happens when the chain gets caught on the front sprocket.

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I thought it was a folded nun.

Pengwuino said:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Pacman: purplish blue
Chips: Yellow
Bowl: brown

Attachments

Last edited: