Exploring 3D Reproductions of M.C. Escher Artworks

• Thread starter Janus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    3d
In summary: The techniques you've used to create these look very realistic. I'm a big fan of M.C. Escher's art, and these recreations are amazing.
Janus
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
I've been a fan of M.C. Escher's art for a long time, and ever since I got into doing 3D rendering, I have done various attempts at doing reproductions of some of his pieces to varying degrees of success. One of the problems I had was doing realistic looking human figures. I recently came across a some new software(DAZ-3D) that made this a lot easier (Though it did create other issues I needed to work through.)
Here are my latest versions.
First is Relativity. I've done other versions of this before,, but as I alluded to before was never happy with the figures.
relativity.png

Next is Ascending and Descending. This is another one that I've done an earlier version of.

ascend_descend.png

This presented one of the new issues I had to deal with. While DAZ-3D works great with the human figures, you can't use it to build the scene you want them to appear in (the program only comes with some pre-loaded items that you can use). Anything original has to be made in another program called Hexagon and then imported into DAZ. This involved learning a whole new modeling program.

The next three are works I've never attempted before.

Another World

anotherworld2.png

I took some liberties here. The original had birds with Human-like faces, But DAZ had the dragon as a existing figure, so I thought I'd substitute. The cratered landscape is from a NASA photo of the Moon's surface.

Belvedere

belvedere.jpg

This one posed another problem. Basically it had to do with not being able to match up the view seen here with the view available in Hexagon during the building the model.

Last is Drawing hands

drawinghands3.png

This actually involved multiple software programs Hexagon and DAZ-3D for the hand and pencil model, Moray and Pov-Ray to create the effect of the going from wire-frame to 3D solid, and Paint-shop Pro to put it all together to create the final result.

Attachments

• relativity.png
    relativity.png
    119.8 KB · Views: 891
  • ascend_descend.png
    ascend_descend.png
    111.6 KB · Views: 1,064
  • anotherworld2.png
    anotherworld2.png
    125.9 KB · Views: 653
  • belvedere.jpg
    belvedere.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 679
  • drawinghands3.png
    drawinghands3.png
    46.7 KB · Views: 571
Likes dlgoff, Ibix, Greg Bernhardt and 6 others
Physics news on Phys.org
From a fellow Escher enthusiast, these are wonderful!

I have long been a fan of Escher's works myself, and these are wonderful! Great job!

PetSounds said:
From a fellow Escher enthusiast, these are wonderful!
StatGuy2000 said:
I have long been a fan of Escher's works myself, and these are wonderful! Great job!
Sounds like we were thinking in sync :biggrin:

Likes StatGuy2000
Have you considered making 3-D images that use colored glasses or polarized glasses and 3-D displays? That would be a modern version of Escher's drawings, and I bet he would appreciate the extension of his concepts... :smile:

Very cool.
Does the "Ascending and Descending" look weird from other angles?

lego_relativity.jpg

You can see it from other angles here.

Attachments

• lego_relativity.jpg
    lego_relativity.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 396
Likes Ibix and PetSounds
BillTre said:
Very cool.
Does the "Ascending and Descending" look weird from other angles?
Of course, as does Belvedere

Here's the preview versions of them from a different angle.

asc-desc.png
belvedere2.png

For at least for these two, Berkeman's suggestion of stereoscopic versions would be difficult at best.

Attachments

• asc-desc.png
    asc-desc.png
    53.9 KB · Views: 472
  • belvedere2.png
    belvedere2.png
    37.9 KB · Views: 383
Likes BillTre
Janus said:
Of course, as does Belvedere

Here's the preview versions of them from a different angle.

Very impressive!

1. What is the purpose of exploring 3D reproductions of M.C. Escher artworks?

The purpose of exploring 3D reproductions of M.C. Escher artworks is to provide a more immersive and interactive experience for viewers. By creating 3D versions of his iconic works, viewers are able to explore the intricate details and optical illusions in a new way, allowing for a deeper understanding and appreciation of Escher's art.

2. How are 3D reproductions of M.C. Escher artworks created?

3D reproductions of M.C. Escher artworks are created using computer graphics software and advanced rendering techniques. Artists and designers work to recreate the original artwork in a 3D space, paying close attention to details such as lighting, textures, and perspective to accurately replicate the original piece.

3. Are 3D reproductions of M.C. Escher artworks considered authentic?

While 3D reproductions of M.C. Escher artworks are not considered to be original pieces of art, they are still considered to be authentic representations of his works. The level of detail and accuracy in the 3D versions allows viewers to experience the artwork in a new and unique way, while still staying true to the original piece.

4. Can viewers interact with 3D reproductions of M.C. Escher artworks?

Yes, viewers can interact with 3D reproductions of M.C. Escher artworks by using virtual reality technology or by manipulating the artwork on a computer screen. This allows for a more hands-on experience, where viewers can explore different angles and perspectives of the artwork, enhancing their understanding and appreciation of Escher's work.

5. Are there any benefits to exploring 3D reproductions of M.C. Escher artworks?

Exploring 3D reproductions of M.C. Escher artworks can have several benefits, including a deeper understanding and appreciation of his art, a more interactive and immersive viewing experience, and the ability to see the artwork in a new way. It also allows for the preservation and accessibility of his art, as 3D reproductions can be viewed and experienced by people all over the world.