Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Artificially Creating Clouds

1. Mar 28, 2011 #1
    Lately I have been getting into meteorology and things alike. I have heard of people controlling the weather. So, what are some methods of creating clouds? List as many methods as you can.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2011 #2
  4. Mar 28, 2011 #3

JaredJames

Gold Member

I recently had a conversation which ended abruptly when I was informed the US wanted to get to the moon first to control the weather. :uhh:

On a brighter note, look up "cloud seeding". I don't know much about it, but I've heard it's been done.

5. Mar 29, 2011 #4

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

On a slightly unrelated note, I had a friend who was talking to some old guy one day. This guy stated, and I quote, "If they weren't shooting rockets up through the ozone, they wouldn't get them holes in it!".

:yuck:

6. Mar 29, 2011 #5

JaredJames

Gold Member

:rofl:

7. Mar 29, 2011 #6

Dotini

Gold Member

1) http://www.magneticeast.com/ecology/rain.html
    This technique for creating clouds seems to have made some progress in the Islamic Middle East.

Respectfully submitted,
    Dotini

8. Mar 29, 2011 #7

JaredJames

Gold Member

I'm going to look into this, it appears like a crackpot site from the outset - in fact it screams it. I'll report back on my findings.

EDIT: Scrap that, here is something right down the bottom of the page that worries me:
    This is non-sense. It's no different to putting a magnet on your gas meter.

They are claiming "after installation of magnetic generators, desert turned into a blooming garden.", yet for this to work you have to install irrigation - of course it's going to turn into a successful garden if you install irrigation, clouds or not. Not to mention the fact they want you to spread propoganda.

5 years with a good irrigation system will give you good agriculture, no need for this mumbo jumbo.

EDIT 2: They also claim the system reduces water useage, but gives up to 60% more crops.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?