Artistic Depression

• Thread starter hc_17
  • Start date
  • Tags
    depression
You forgot 3.) a certain je-ne-sais-quoi :biggrin:
Oh yeah, You need a magic word or animal sacrifice.

You forgot 3.) a certain je-ne-sais-quoi :biggrin:
Besides 1) and 2)

I've heard 3) was:

salesmanship and/or sales management* (self or someone else)

*that is, if you want to be 'known' in your own lifetime

and 4) productivity

hc_17

How are a few random opinions by people who dabble in art on the side of any importance?

I'm doing a project for my A-level art, we can do whatever we want, as long as it relates back to art, so i chose depression, which is a huge issue as many artists suffered from it, and if people who paint have an opinion on it i would like to hear it so i can incorporate it into my project to understand what different people think of the matter, whether it inspires people to work or not, how it affects them, or how they think it affects other people, the more opinions i get the better :smile:

I'm doing a project for my A-level art, we can do whatever we want, as long as it relates back to art, so i chose depression, which is a huge issue as many artists suffered from it, and if people who paint have an opinion on it i would like to hear it so i can incorporate it into my project to understand what different people think of the matter, whether it inspires people to work or not, how it affects them, or how they think it affects other people, the more opinions i get the better :smile:
There's different types of depression--are you going to go into that?---

Never mind that.

You like this drawing? :

Violet650Gr.jpg

hc_17

didn't mean to hit a nerve there, zoobie---

I thought hc_17 might find reading some about kid's art and relate something that he may be looking for
Thankyou i do find it very helpful, i suffer from depression myself and when i was a bit younger i used to write poetry and at my worse i whacked out an awful lot of art and became quite ahead in my class because thats all i ever did to express myself. I think children are just as important, because although my project is based around adults, they go through a lot of the same things adults do which are usually passed off because they are so young.

oh and im a girl :smile:

hc_17

There's different types of depression--are you going to go into that?---
The main one im exploring is Bipolar, because during my research ive found it seems to be a lot more common.
And ive already interviewed an artist with bipolar and cant be bothered trying to get in touch with other artists, i was lucky with her, and very grateful for it.

Never mind that.

You like this drawing? :

Violet650Gr.jpg
Ok, admit it zoobyshoe, you take pictures and press "posterise" on adobe, the jig is up :biggrin:

If your project is strictly about painters, then I'm not of much help; I work in film (starting to, at least). Sometimes I write non-screenplaywise as well (I posted a link to one of my stories about a month ago), but I'm not too serious into it. I'm not much of a painter; the best I can do is doodles like my profile pics.

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I agree with zooby that depression is more debilitating than enabling. At a very general level (I am not commenting on individual experiences, and I am not a mental health professional), I think fighting with depression (therapy, emotional awareness, etc.) is more likely to contribute to one's focus and productivity. IMO, the people who are more creative are the ones that have a handle on their depression -- they might be conscious of their anger and looking for a way to deal with it. (Or perhaps they are "riding the manic cycle" -- the opposite of depression.) Contrast this with someone who is not even aware that there is anger inside, just depressed; he or she would be more likely to just stare at the TV all day.

Thankyou i do find it very helpful, i suffer from depression myself and when i was a bit younger i used to write poetry and at my worse i whacked out an awful lot of art and became quite ahead in my class because thats all i ever did to express myself. I think children are just as important, because although my project is based around adults, they go through a lot of the same things adults do which are usually passed off because they are so young.

oh and im a girl :smile:
whoops, my assumption---I should have been a little more aware and recognized a softer writing style --and then asked anyway.

Are you looking at the history, personal subjective viewpoint, or inventory-type overview of others, general attitudes, images, or ?????

Ok, admit it zoobyshoe, you take pictures and press "posterise" on adobe, the jig is up :biggrin:
Don't even say idiot **** like that. People will believe it.

The main one im exploring is Bipolar, because during my research ive found it seems to be a lot more common.
And ive already interviewed an artist with bipolar and cant be bothered trying to get in touch with other artists, i was lucky with her, and very grateful for it.
"Can't be bothered"????? If you're not going to try and get a real sampling of real working artists then you might as well be writing fiction.

I don't understand why you posted here at all. There are plenty of Art forums on the web.

Don't even say idiot **** like that. People will believe it.
tough crowd...

OP you should be more specific with your question, and an art forum would give you a larger sample.

"Can't be bothered"????? If you're not going to try and get a real sampling of real working artists then you might as well be writing fiction.

I don't understand why you posted here at all. There are plenty of Art forums on the web.
play nice, children

It's OK. I'm going to an art forum now to get some physics information.
good idea--there's a lot of physics in art, doncha know

and that's seems logical---especially since there's a lot of 'art' stuff here to look at and learn about from the artists here with their special more scientific perspective, too

good idea--there's a lot of physics in art, doncha know

and that's seems logical---especially since there's a lot of 'art' stuff here to look at and learn about from the artists here with their special more scientific perspective, too
It's funny: you run into artists now and then who have a lot more physics and chemistry knowledge than artists are supposed to. Supposedly artists hate science. Some of them enjoy it a lot, though.

I definitely do. I spend a lot of my free time reading on science, and I'm always on PF while I work on my computer... I barely ever go on the cinematography forums, unless I have a technical problem or something like that.

Plus, scientists are fun to talk to because, well, it's your job to know stuff, and people who know stuff are interesting to talk to... you don't find a lot of places on the internet where you can have a rational debate like on PF, and I love debating (obviously :biggrin:); it's a great way to both learn and exercise one's mental muscles at the same time.

I agree with zooby that depression is more debilitating than enabling. At a very general level (I am not commenting on individual experiences, and I am not a mental health professional), I think fighting with depression (therapy, emotional awareness, etc.) is more likely to contribute to one's focus and productivity. IMO, the people who are more creative are the ones that have a handle on their depression -- they might be conscious of their anger and looking for a way to deal with it. (Or perhaps they are "riding the manic cycle" -- the opposite of depression.) Contrast this with someone who is not even aware that there is anger inside, just depressed; he or she would be more likely to just stare at the TV all day.
It's one of the hallmarks of depression that you no longer enjoy just about anything. It takes longer and longer to accomplish whatever you do undertake, and formerly enjoyed activities are no longer rewarding.

I think it's fairly common for people to try and fend it off before it reaches this point by undertaking solitary and introspective kinds of activities like art, journal writing, practicing musical instruments, and such.

This kind of therapeutic impulse isn't what drives real, working artists. The ceiling of the Sistine Chapel did not represent a place where Michaelangelo could go and work out his emotional problems. A day's painting represented a huge amount of preparation, the gathering together and supervision of his assistants, and it had to be done in one fell swoop before the plaster dried. It was work. This is the way it is for working artists: you can't just drop things if you're not in the mood. You have to push yourself through distractions and keep the work going.

I definitely do. I spend a lot of my free time reading on science, and I'm always on PF while I work on my computer... I barely ever go on the cinematography forums, unless I have a technical problem or something like that.

Plus, scientists are fun to talk to because, well, it's your job to know stuff, and people who know stuff are interesting to talk to... you don't find a lot of places on the internet where you can have a rational debate like on PF, and I love debating (obviously :biggrin:); it's a great way to both learn and exercise one's mental muscles at the same time.
So, you're some kind of cinematographer?

PF used to be full of fascinating people to talk to and debate with. Then there was this infestation of penguins and 13 year olds. It's seeming a little better now, though.

right now I just started doing some freelance editing (I'm only 19; just getting started). Saving some money to produce my own shorts, build up a resume, take it from there.

I'm doing editing right now because it's what I'm most technically skilled and comfortable with, plus you get to work from home a lot of times with the whole digital thing going on now.

cinematography.com is a forum where I find most people know their stuff, and they have editing/audio/directing sections, so I usually go there for help.

A debilitating depression would not work for a moviemaker. It's a LOT of hard work... especially if you're producing your own films, starting out and don't have a resume... you have to take care of city permits, actors releases, finding a crew you can count on, etc. etc. etc. ... I don't see anyone in a very deep depression taking on such large projects.

Then there was this infestation of penguins and 13 year olds. It's seeming a little better now, though.
is an infestation of 19 year-old proto-filmmakers at least a little less unbearable?

Evo

Mentor
A guy is used to date is now a somewhat successful artist with art galleries exclusive to him in Connecticut and I forget where else. He didn't show up one night for our date, then called me two years later asking if I was ready to be picked up. He was joking, of course, he confessed to being bi-polar and having serious issues but was under medication and felt he could handle a relationship again. He was gorgeous, rich and talented and my youngest daughter talked me out of seeing him again. She said I had an obligation to another guy I was kind of dating at the time, which died shorty there after.

Last edited: