1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

As a geology major, I need help picking classes...

1. Aug 1, 2015 #1

JR Sauerland

Gold Member

1.PNG
    Here are the required courses. I'll explain my options:
    • Engineering calc 1/2 or Life Sciences calc 1/2
    • Physics with calc1/2 or physics without calc 1/2
    Basically, that's my whole dilemma. Do I want Engineering Calc and Physics with calc, or without? Like does it make me any less skilled or less prepared to be a Geologist if I take the math without it?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 1, 2015 #2
    Real scientists know calculus and how to think about every problem they encounter with the tools of calculus and the ideas of instantaneous rate of change and acculumation of area under a curve.

Engineering calculus and calc-based physics are not required to achieve that level of mastery, but they certainly will help achieve that end.

Why deviate from the recommended path by taking the lower road? What is the advice of the senior faculty in the geology department? I'm sure they would be happy to talk about it if you stop by their offices or send a polite email.

4. Aug 2, 2015 #3

JR Sauerland

Gold Member

Hm, never saw this message. I guess you have a very good point there! I suppose it offers an alternative to those weak of heart to the math world that want that science degree still.

5. Aug 2, 2015 #4

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Do you have any particular focus/interests? Oceanography? Soil science? Mineralogy/petrology? Geophysics? Plate tectonics? (Micro)Paleontology/stratigraphy? Geochem?
    You'll probably be happier in the long run biting off everything you can chew, but do keep in mind that different areas place different emphases on levels and rigor of fundamental requirements.

6. Aug 2, 2015 #5

JR Sauerland

Gold Member

I haven't even started my major courses yet (or even applied to the program), but I know it's what I want to do. I've taken an oceanography course, loved it. And I love Plate tectonics

7. Aug 3, 2015 #6
    If you believe you might be interested in geophysics even in the slightest, definitely take the engineering calc and physics with calc. You might even want to take more math like Calc 3 and Differential Equation.

8. Aug 3, 2015 #7

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

You really should either see your academic adviser or a faculty member FIRST, rather than asking about it on forum like this. These people not only know about the field and the state of the field, but are also familiar with the academic atmosphere of your school, something that we don't know of.

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook