As a geology major, I picking classes....

In summary, the conversation discusses the options for required courses in engineering and life sciences, specifically in regards to taking calculus and physics with or without calc. The speaker wonders if taking the lower level math and science courses will make them less skilled or prepared for a career in geology. The other speaker advises to seek guidance from senior faculty in the geology department and suggests that taking more advanced math courses may benefit the speaker in the long run. The speaker also mentions their interests in oceanography and plate tectonics and advises to consult with an academic advisor or faculty member for further guidance.
JR Sauerland
Gold Member
1.PNG

Here are the required courses. I'll explain my options:
  • Engineering calc 1/2 or Life Sciences calc 1/2
  • Physics with calc1/2 or physics without calc 1/2
Basically, that's my whole dilemma. Do I want Engineering Calc and Physics with calc, or without? Like does it make me any less skilled or less prepared to be a Geologist if I take the math without it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Real scientists know calculus and how to think about every problem they encounter with the tools of calculus and the ideas of instantaneous rate of change and acculumation of area under a curve.

Engineering calculus and calc-based physics are not required to achieve that level of mastery, but they certainly will help achieve that end.

Why deviate from the recommended path by taking the lower road? What is the advice of the senior faculty in the geology department? I'm sure they would be happy to talk about it if you stop by their offices or send a polite email.

Likes Student100
Dr. Courtney said:
Real scientists know calculus and how to think about every problem they encounter with the tools of calculus and the ideas of instantaneous rate of change and acculumation of area under a curve.

Engineering calculus and calc-based physics are not required to achieve that level of mastery, but they certainly will help achieve that end.

Why deviate from the recommended path by taking the lower road? What is the advice of the senior faculty in the geology department? I'm sure they would be happy to talk about it if you stop by their offices or send a polite email.

Hm, never saw this message. I guess you have a very good point there! I suppose it offers an alternative to those weak of heart to the math world that want that science degree still.

Do you have any particular focus/interests? Oceanography? Soil science? Mineralogy/petrology? Geophysics? Plate tectonics? (Micro)Paleontology/stratigraphy? Geochem?
You'll probably be happier in the long run biting off everything you can chew, but do keep in mind that different areas place different emphases on levels and rigor of fundamental requirements.

Bystander said:
Do you have any particular focus/interests? Oceanography? Soil science? Mineralogy/petrology? Geophysics? Plate tectonics? (Micro)Paleontology/stratigraphy? Geochem?
You'll probably be happier in the long run biting off everything you can chew, but do keep in mind that different areas place different emphases on levels and rigor of fundamental requirements.

I haven't even started my major courses yet (or even applied to the program), but I know it's what I want to do. I've taken an oceanography course, loved it. And I love Plate tectonics

If you believe you might be interested in geophysics even in the slightest, definitely take the engineering calc and physics with calc. You might even want to take more math like Calc 3 and Differential Equation.

JR Sauerland said:
I haven't even started my major courses yet (or even applied to the program), but I know it's what I want to do. I've taken an oceanography course, loved it. And I love Plate tectonics

You really should either see your academic adviser or a faculty member FIRST, rather than asking about it on forum like this. These people not only know about the field and the state of the field, but are also familiar with the academic atmosphere of your school, something that we don't know of.

Zz.

1. What classes are required for a geology major?

The specific required classes for a geology major may vary slightly between universities, but in general, common required courses include introductory geology, mineralogy, petrology, sedimentology, and structural geology. Other required courses may include field trips, lab work, and electives in related subjects like chemistry and physics.

2. Are there any recommended electives for a geology major?

It is always a good idea to take electives that align with your interests and career goals. Some recommended electives for a geology major may include environmental science, hydrology, oceanography, or GIS (Geographic Information Systems).

3. Can I take classes in other departments for my geology major?

Yes, it is common for geology majors to take classes in other departments, especially if they have a specific career interest that requires knowledge in another subject. For example, a student interested in environmental law may take classes in political science or law.

4. Do I need to have a strong background in math and science for a geology major?

A strong background in math and science is recommended for a geology major, as many courses will involve calculations and scientific concepts. However, if you are passionate about geology and willing to put in the effort, you can still succeed in the major with a lower level of math and science knowledge.

5. Can I switch to a geology major if I have already completed some general education requirements?

It is possible to switch to a geology major after completing some general education requirements, but it may require taking additional courses to fulfill the specific requirements for the major. It is best to speak with an academic advisor to determine the best plan of action for your individual situation.