Asking for an internship extension

In summary, the conversation is about the speaker's current summer co-op with a company and their desire to return for future breaks. They also express interest in exploring other fields, particularly in the semi-conductor area. They are unsure of how to ask for an extension and are seeking advice on how to approach their supervisor. Despite their liking for the company, they do not want to come across as desperate.
ndnbolla
Right now I am in an EE Summer Co-Op with a nice company. They hired me knowing that it was only for my summer break.

However, I would like to come back for my 1 month winter break or even next summer's break.

How would I go about asking my supervisor for an extension.

Although I like the company I am working with which is in Power field of EE I would eventually like to try out some of the other fields, specifically the semi-conductor area.

How would it look if I asked for the extension, was granted it, but then decided that I was going to take on another Co-Op with a different company?

Physics news on Phys.org
No guidance?...

Well my co-op will be over in a few weeks so I will be asking soon. No one can give me any tips so I can be prepared for this?

I really would like to stay with this company but I don't want it to sound desperate.

Dear [Supervisor's Name],
I hope this email finds you well. I am writing to express my gratitude for the opportunity to work with [Company Name] as part of my summer co-op for the past few months. I have thoroughly enjoyed my time here and have gained valuable experience in the power field of electrical engineering.

As my summer break comes to an end, I am writing to inquire about the possibility of extending my internship for my upcoming 1-month winter break or even for next summer's break. I understand that this was initially a temporary position for my summer break, but I have found the work and environment at [Company Name] to be extremely rewarding and would love the opportunity to continue contributing to the team.

I also wanted to share with you my interest in exploring other areas of electrical engineering, particularly in the semi-conductor field. I believe that [Company Name] would provide a great platform for me to gain exposure and experience in this area.

I understand that extending my internship may require additional resources and I am willing to discuss any arrangements that would be suitable for both parties. I would be grateful if you could consider my request and let me know if this is a possibility.

Lastly, I want to assure you that I am fully committed to the work and responsibilities assigned to me during my extended internship period. However, in the event that I am offered another co-op opportunity in a different company, I will inform you immediately and discuss any necessary arrangements.

Thank you for your consideration. I look forward to hearing back from you.

1. Can I ask for an internship extension?

Yes, you can ask for an internship extension. It is important to communicate with your supervisor or the appropriate person in charge to discuss your reasons for needing an extension and to come up with a plan for how you will use the extended time.

2. How do I ask for an internship extension?

You can ask for an internship extension by scheduling a meeting with your supervisor or the appropriate person in charge. It is best to have a written request that outlines your reasons for needing an extension and your proposed plan for using the extended time. Be sure to be polite and professional in your communication.

3. Is it common to ask for an internship extension?

It is not uncommon to ask for an internship extension. Many interns may need more time to complete their projects or may encounter unexpected circumstances that require an extension. However, it is important to communicate and ask for an extension in a timely manner and with valid reasons.

4. Will asking for an internship extension affect my chances of getting a job offer?

Asking for an internship extension should not affect your chances of getting a job offer. In fact, it can show your dedication and commitment to the internship and the company. However, it is important to make the most of the extended time and continue to perform well during your internship.

5. Can I ask for an internship extension multiple times?

It is not recommended to ask for an internship extension multiple times. It is important to communicate with your supervisor and plan your internship accordingly to avoid the need for multiple extensions. If you do need an extension, it is best to have a valid reason and to use the extended time effectively.