Asking for hint to MTW's problem

• Thread starter qinglong.1397
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses verifying the expressions given for the electromagnetic field of an oscillating dipole in equations (4.23) and (4.24) satisfy dF=0 and d*F=0 everywhere except at the origin. There is difficulty in proving dF=0 at the origin while d*F≠0 at the origin, and alternative methods are being explored.
qinglong.1397

Homework Statement

Page. 124, MTW Gravitation. Exercise 4.6.

Verify that the expressions given for the electromagnetic field of an oscillating dipole in equations (4.23) and (4.24) satisfy [itex]dF=0[/itex] everywhere and [itex]d*F=0[/itex] everywhere except at the origin.

Homework Equations

(4.23) [itex]F=[/itex]real part of [itex]\left\{p_1e^{iω(r-t)}[2\cos θ(1/r^3-iω/r^2)dr\wedge dt+\sin θ(1/r^3-iω/r^2-ω^2/r)rdθ\wedge dt+\sin θ(-iω/r^2-ω^2/r)dr \wedge rdθ]\right\}[/itex]

(4.24) [itex]*F=[/itex]real part of [itex]\left\{p_1e^{i(r-t)}[\sin \theta(-i\omega /r^2-\omega^2/r)dt \wedge r\sin\theta d\phi+2\cos\theta (1/r^3-i\omega /r^2)rd\theta \wedge r\sin\theta d\phi+\sin\theta (1/r^3-i\omega /r^2-\omega^2/r)r\sin\theta d\phi\wedge dr]\right\}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

It is easy to show that [itex]dF=0[/itex] and [itex]d*F=0[/itex] everywhere except at the origin. But how to show [itex]dF=0[/itex] at the origin, while [itex]d*F≠0[/itex] at the origin?

Physics news on Phys.org
I tried to calculate dF and d*F at the origin, but I could not get an expression that is easy to be simplified. Is there any other way to prove this statement?

Related to Asking for hint to MTW's problem

1. What is MTW's problem?

MTW's problem refers to the Wheeler–DeWitt equation, which is a central equation in the theory of quantum gravity. It is a mathematical equation that describes the quantum state of the universe.

2. Why is it important to ask for hints to MTW's problem?

Asking for hints can help guide researchers and scientists in finding a solution to MTW's problem. It allows for collaboration and the sharing of ideas, which can lead to new insights and approaches to solving this complex problem.

3. Who can I ask for hints to MTW's problem?

You can ask other scientists and researchers who are working on similar topics or have expertise in the field of quantum gravity. You can also attend conferences and workshops where experts in this area gather to exchange ideas and discuss current research.

4. Are there any resources available for asking for hints to MTW's problem?

Yes, there are various online forums and discussion groups dedicated to discussing MTW's problem and related topics. You can also reach out to individuals directly through email or academic networking platforms such as ResearchGate.

5. How can asking for hints to MTW's problem benefit the scientific community?

Asking for hints can lead to new collaborations and breakthroughs in understanding quantum gravity and the nature of the universe. It also promotes open communication and the sharing of knowledge within the scientific community, ultimately advancing research in this field.