Is there a proper etiquette for asking questions to my research advisor?

• Thread starter bjnartowt
  • Start date
In summary: For instance, if you're working on a problem in theoretical physics, you might be able to figure out what questions could be answered by looking at data that is not typically-used in your field. This would make you "stand out" in the sense that you would be able to contribute something that other students might not be able to.In summary, try to take the time to work through the problem yourself, rather than rely on your advisor to guide you. Also, focus on what is relevant about the problem you're working on, rather than trying to figure out what you "should" know.
bjnartowt
"Asking Questions" Ettiquette

How do I go about the proper way asking my research-advisor physics-questions?

Right now: I (1) write page and equations numbers, (2) use the book's same notation, etc. Yet: it still takes him awhile to think through my questions, and ususually the questions are a silly bit of semantics, rather than something profound. Is there some sort of question-ettiquette I'm missing? I can't really avoid having stupid questions, try as I might, so I bet those are OK (and there will eventually come a time when I ask not-stupid questions and actually contribute to our discussions). On the other hand: are there any practices I should use to make the question-asking-and-answering process any less obtrusive to my research-advisor's professorly-duties?

Physics news on Phys.org

I'm concerned that (1) you consider your questions "stupid", and (2) an intrusive burden on your advisor. S/he's there to help you, not to discourage you.

But, to your question, the best way for you to ask questions that are taken seriously is to take the questions seriously yourself. That means spend to some struggling with the question, and asking your advisor to block out some time to discuss your question.

Does that help? Can you give a "for instance"?

The best "for instance" I can think of: I was working out this problem with spinors and gamma-matrices that come up in Griffiths "Intro to Elementary Particles", and I got stuck on this part that turned out to require me to recognize the ij^(th) component of the product of two matrices when I saw it. I know how to multiply two matrices together, but I didn't recognize the ij^(th) product when I saw it in Griffiths's text. I felt a little silly when my advisor told me what I was missing.

My advisor is a very quiet and brilliant man who is extremely-difficult to read. He sees almost every facial expression of yours, but doesn't say much in return...but then 5-6 days later, he'll recount the meeting he had with you in lucid detail, and remember just about everything you say. I guess I just get paranoid that I'm wasting his time, and I just bristle at this "annoyed tone" I seem to hear (which may not actually be there at all) while speaking with him. On the other hand: the man has taken me out to dinner three times and given me a bottle of wine...so he seems to regard me as a worthwhile student.

I know it's standard for a professor to know loads more than the students (s)he teaches and the students (s)he advises...but I still get stressed when I find out my question is about something that I "should" know (like matrix multiplication). I have to "stand out" and "be indispensible" in order to make it in my field...not just suck up education like a sponge.

bjnartowt said:
The best "for instance" I can think of: I was working out this problem with spinors and gamma-matrices that come up in Griffiths "Intro to Elementary Particles", and I got stuck on this part that turned out to require me to recognize the ij^(th) component of the product of two matrices when I saw it. I know how to multiply two matrices together, but I didn't recognize the ij^(th) product when I saw it in Griffiths's text. I felt a little silly when my advisor told me what I was missing.

My advisor is a very quiet and brilliant man who is extremely-difficult to read. He sees almost every facial expression of yours, but doesn't say much in return...but then 5-6 days later, he'll recount the meeting he had with you in lucid detail, and remember just about everything you say. I guess I just get paranoid that I'm wasting his time, and I just bristle at this "annoyed tone" I seem to hear (which may not actually be there at all) while speaking with him. On the other hand: the man has taken me out to dinner three times and given me a bottle of wine...so he seems to regard me as a worthwhile student.

I know it's standard for a professor to know loads more than the students (s)he teaches and the students (s)he advises...but I still get stressed when I find out my question is about something that I "should" know (like matrix multiplication). I have to "stand out" and "be indispensible" in order to make it in my field...not just suck up education like a sponge.

Imo, what would help you would be to take an approach that is less fixated on whether you will "stand out" or "be indispensable." Instead, you should orient toward figuring out what is relevant about the kind of work you do. If you know the purpose of what you're doing, you can more easily come up with new directions to pursue that will contribute to what is already known and increase its relevance.

bjnartowt said:
On the other hand: the man has taken me out to dinner three times and given me a bottle of wine...

I'm not really sure what to think of this. On the face of it, it's unprofessional- especially if you are an undergrad (my assumption, since you are using Griffiths).

I echo brainstorm's advice: the buzzword is "pathway to independence". You should be striving to become an independent scientist, not someone's indispensable lab monkey.

Andy Resnick said:
I'm not really sure what to think of this. On the face of it, it's unprofessional- especially if you are an undergrad (my assumption, since you are using Griffiths).

I echo brainstorm's advice: the buzzword is "pathway to independence". You should be striving to become an independent scientist, not someone's indispensable lab monkey.

There are innocent motives for taking someone out to dinner and giving gifts. Some professors feel a desire to spend some of their big salaries on promising students as a way of repaying the favors that their mentors did for them. They will often tell you that you can take them out when you have succeeded in achieving your own professorship - or that you can repay them by carrying on their legacy and mentoring students the way they mentored you.

brainstorm said:
There are innocent motives for taking someone out to dinner and giving gifts. .

Perhaps. But giving a bottle of wine (ESPECIALLY to someone underage) is questionable.

Well, for the record: I'm a 26 year old grad student (M.S. seeking). I wish I were an undergraduate though: I'd at least have a larger window of time to make the mistakes I'm making right now. Ha ha...

In any event: I've been able to focus more on the material and Doing The Physics instead of trying to develop some non-pertinent "thing" like indispensibility or competence...I guess those things are supposed to be "incidentals" in a stricter sense than I thought.

bjnartowt said:
In any event: I've been able to focus more on the material and Doing The Physics instead of trying to develop some non-pertinent "thing" like indispensibility or competence...I guess those things are supposed to be "incidentals" in a stricter sense than I thought.

I don't know how people think they can become indispensably competent by focussing on indispensable competency. It seems to me a lot like getting an A in a class by concentrating on the letter A or making lots of money by visualizing yourself swimming in piles of money. I prefer the idea that discovering relevance leads to rewards, although it's not always the case. Sadly, I think many people DO achieve rewards by playing a system - but at least if you discover relevance and fail to achieve the rewards you have a sense that you achieved something. People who get the rewards without discovering the relevance can never truly believe in themselves.

1. What is the proper way to ask a question in a scientific setting?

The proper way to ask a question in a scientific setting is to first introduce yourself and your credentials, state the purpose of your question, and provide background information or context. Be specific and concise, and avoid asking multiple questions at once. Use a professional and respectful tone, and be open to feedback and discussion.

2. How should I phrase my questions to encourage meaningful discussions?

To encourage meaningful discussions, it is important to use open-ended questions that require more than a yes or no answer. Use neutral language and avoid leading or biased questions. Ask for clarification or elaboration if needed, and actively listen to the responses to further the discussion.

3. Is it appropriate to ask questions during a presentation or lecture?

Yes, it is appropriate to ask questions during a presentation or lecture, but it should be done at appropriate times and in a respectful manner. Wait for a designated Q&A session or a break, and avoid interrupting the speaker. Ask relevant and well thought-out questions that contribute to the topic being discussed.

4. How can I ensure that my questions are not offensive or inappropriate?

To ensure that your questions are not offensive or inappropriate, it is important to be aware of cultural and social norms, as well as the personal boundaries of the person you are asking. Avoid making assumptions or using offensive language. If in doubt, ask for permission to ask the question or apologize if it was unintentionally offensive.

5. What should I do if I don't understand the answer to a question?

If you don't understand the answer to a question, it is okay to ask for clarification or further explanation. You can also follow up with additional questions to gain a better understanding. If the person answering the question is unable to provide a clear answer, it is okay to seek out other resources or ask for help from someone else.