Assignment about Extreme Sports

In summary, the conversation is about a student's assignment on extreme sports, specifically skydiving and bungee jumping. They are asking for help with analyzing the physics involved in a skydiver's fall and breaking it down into distinct phases. The conversation also includes a discussion on equations and information needed to calculate the drag for a skydiver in freefall.
sorra54

Homework Statement

I'm writing an assignment about Extreme Sports, including Skydiving and Bungee Jump,
and since I'm not that good at physics, I was hoping that maybe some of you guys could help me!

I am to analyze a skydiver, and chop the fall into phases, and use both math and physics to describe what happens at each phase.
This is what I've come up with so far.

A skydiver will go through 3-5 phases,
phase 1. a = g
phase 2. F gravity > F air
phase 3. F gravity = F air
phase 4. Parachute opens, F air > F gravity
phase 5. F air = F gravity

Homework Equations

My question to you guys is first of all, at the page http://ffden-2.phys.uaf.edu/211_fall2002.web.dir/DaneLenakerSkydiving/drag.htm under the hyperlink that says drag, you'll find an animation at the bottom of this page. I says that a = Fnet/m.
Is that really an equation for the acceleration a?

Second of all, i have come across an equation that will calculate the drag for,
F drag = 0.5*Cd*(greek letter rho)*A*v^2, how will i know what speed his traveling with at a given time, and what the cross-sectional area, A, is for a human, and most important of all, the drag coefficient for a human, and later a parachute?

The Attempt at a Solution

No solutions that are worth posting so far, sorry !

Physics news on Phys.org

That is the equation for the skydiver's acceleration (a = F_net/m, is the equation for instantaneous acceleration of basically anything with a net force applied to it). To find his speed at any given time you will need to know calculus. To find cross-sectional area, take a logical guess. Look up drag coefficients in tables.

Also, I believe you can leave off phase 1. Since there is still air when he initially jumps. Unless phase 1 is him sitting on the plane still, which seems odd that it is a phase of the jump.

Related to Assignment about Extreme Sports

1. What are extreme sports?

Extreme sports refer to recreational activities that involve high levels of risk, physical exertion, and adrenaline rush. These activities often take place in extreme environments and require specialized skills and equipment.

2. What are some examples of extreme sports?

Examples of extreme sports include skateboarding, snowboarding, surfing, rock climbing, BASE jumping, skydiving, and motocross. These are just a few of the many extreme sports that exist.

3. What are the benefits of participating in extreme sports?

Participating in extreme sports can have physical, mental, and emotional benefits. It can improve physical fitness, enhance problem-solving skills, boost self-confidence, and provide a sense of accomplishment.

4. What are the potential risks and dangers of extreme sports?

The main risk associated with extreme sports is the potential for serious injury or death. These activities often involve high speeds, heights, and unpredictable environments, which can lead to accidents. It is important to properly train and use safety equipment when participating in extreme sports.

5. How can one get started in extreme sports?

To get started in extreme sports, it is important to first research and understand the risks and requirements of the activity. It is also recommended to seek professional instruction and start with beginner-level courses. Proper training, equipment, and knowledge are crucial for safely participating in extreme sports.