Assistance with practical electromagnetism project

In summary, the speaker is working on a practical magnetism project involving neodymium magnets and an electromagnet to create a push-pull force for a model railway/railroad wagon coupling system. They have tried a 12v 2.5kg electromagnet with no success and are seeking assistance on the required power/size of the electromagnet to successfully separate the magnets. The speaker also mentions the poles of the magnets and how they will be affected by the electromagnet.
Ian Lancaster
Good afternoon,
I am carrying out a practical magnetism project which involves 2 small (2mm x 2mm - 0.6kg) neodymium magnets attached together, and an electromagnet to create a push-pull force from below in order to part them. For those that also build model railway/railroads, this will be a bespome wagon coupling system, and the electromagnet would be used as an uncoupling device. I have uploaded a picture explaining what I am attempting to achieve. The question concerns the power/pull size of the sucked electromagnet required to force the permanent magnets apart from around 10-20mm below the attached magnets. I have tried a 12v 2.5kg sucked electromagnet and it had zero effect even when almost touching the other magnets. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. This is for my own personal use and will not be used for commercial gain.

Attachments

• Magnet Coupling - 4mm Electromagnet Uncoupling.jpg
    Magnet Coupling - 4mm Electromagnet Uncoupling.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 627
Engineering news on Phys.org
Are you saying that the electromagnet is expected to push on one of the neodymium magnets and pull on the other as the arrows suggest in the picture? Suppose the top of the electromagnet is the "North" pole. Where are the North and South poles of the neodymium magnets? Can you label them in the picture?

Hello there and thank you for replying. I will draw it tomorrow but basically the poles are on the flat surface of the round magnet. So the left magnet could be south and the right north. The electromagnet would attract one and repel the other due to the pole of the electromagnet. I don't know which is which and not sure how relevant the pole would be. The main question is the power or size of magnet to create enough attraction/repulsion to cause the magnets to part

1. What is practical electromagnetism?

Practical electromagnetism is the study of the interaction between electric and magnetic fields, and how these fields can be manipulated in various devices and applications.

2. What types of projects can involve practical electromagnetism?

Projects involving practical electromagnetism can range from building simple circuits to creating complex electromagnetic devices, such as motors, generators, and sensors.

3. How can I get assistance with my practical electromagnetism project?

There are several ways to get assistance with your practical electromagnetism project. You can consult with a teacher or mentor, use online resources and tutorials, or seek help from a professional in the field.

4. What are some common challenges in practical electromagnetism projects?

Some common challenges in practical electromagnetism projects include understanding mathematical concepts and equations, troubleshooting circuit and device issues, and obtaining necessary materials and equipment.

5. How can I ensure the safety of myself and others while working on a practical electromagnetism project?

It is important to always follow safety guidelines and wear appropriate protective gear when working with electricity and electromagnetism. This includes using insulated tools, avoiding contact with live wires, and working in a well-ventilated area.