Asteroidal Bombardment in Space Warfare

• Thread starter schonovic
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of war in space and the effectiveness of various weapons, such as magical starships, rocks, nukes, and advanced technology. The participants have different opinions on what would be the most effective strategy in a space war and whether or not advanced technology would make certain weapons obsolete. The conversation also touches on the topic of aliens and their potential use of advanced drones in a hypothetical invasion.
schonovic
I was thinking about how the "main stream" sci-fi shows have the magical starships with their fancy weapons and that's great but I think if they want to show how war will be fought in space they should know,a good general studies strategy but a great general studies logistics. The first thing that would happen in a war in space is we'd start throwing rocks around. Asteroids. That's how you get the party started. Then nukes. Then the fancy weapons would be used to get rid of those last few pockets of resistance. Fancy weapons fry with excessive use. Metal parts warp out of shape. moving parts jam. We'd use them sparingly. Rocks in space are free. And all they need is a good nudge in the right direction to do heavy damage. Then Nukes are pre-made and destructive. More expensive than rocks but cheaper than lasers or particle cannons. Especially cheaper than fancy main stream sci-fi starship weaponry. So that's my humble opinion, what do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you underestimate the likelihood of significant advances in technology. For example, "Fancy weapons fry with excessive use" is applicable to only some weapons today and likely to be applicable to fewer tomorrow.

Oh I have magical starships with fancy weapons but I just like to get down and dirty, it's fun. Rocks are free, nukes are cheap and they're both destructive.

If you can nudge an asteroid into a collision orbit with the enemy they can nudge it out. Then there's the issue of how long it would take for the asteroid to hit the target given its new orbit.

In any case this thread is not in line with the SF forum rules. Unless there are specific works of fiction you want to discuss or help with a writing project the thread will be locked.

I don't think explosives or asteroids would at all be in the arsenal of a super advanced military race. If you have an asteroid, you have the raw materials for military drones. If I were an alien hell-bent on taking over earth, I'd drop a billion terminators into the major cities and military bases. Remember in The Matrix (I forget which one) a swarm of thousands of drones entered the city? That's what I imagine an alien invasion would be like.
Matrix-Machines-Best-Movie-AI.jpg

Related to Asteroidal Bombardment in Space Warfare

1. How common is asteroidal bombardment in space warfare?

Asteroidal bombardment is a commonly utilized tactic in space warfare, particularly in scenarios involving large-scale battles or sieges. However, its frequency depends on the specific strategies and resources of each warring faction.

2. How effective is asteroidal bombardment in destroying enemy targets?

Asteroidal bombardment can be highly effective in destroying enemy targets, as the high velocity and mass of the asteroids can cause significant damage upon impact. However, the level of destruction can vary depending on the size and composition of the asteroids, as well as the defensive capabilities of the target.

3. Can asteroid bombardment be used as a defensive tactic?

Yes, asteroid bombardment can be used as a defensive tactic to protect a faction's assets or territory in space warfare. By launching asteroids towards incoming enemy spacecrafts, the impact can cause significant damage and deter further attacks.

4. Are there any potential drawbacks or limitations to using this tactic?

One potential drawback of using asteroid bombardment in space warfare is the difficulty in accurately targeting and controlling the asteroids. This can lead to unintentional collateral damage or the asteroids missing their intended target. Additionally, this tactic can also have negative consequences for the surrounding space environment, such as creating debris and potentially disrupting the orbits of other objects.

5. Are there any defenses against asteroid bombardment?

There are a few potential defenses against asteroid bombardment, such as using advanced tracking and interception systems to destroy or redirect the incoming asteroids. Additionally, some spacecrafts may be equipped with shielding or armor to withstand the impact of smaller asteroids. However, defending against a large-scale asteroid bombardment may prove to be challenging and require advanced technology and strategic planning.