Help my Original comic book become more capable

• Thread starter TevinDoolyrah
  • Start date
TevinDoolyrah
Roulette GAUNTLET.jpeg

Hey guys I’m working on a comic book and need a little help with making sense of my character’s kit. This is my OC Roulette, he’s a Boxer with different gauntlets at his disposal. The gauntlets are to allow him to contend with supernatural opponents. He has no powers or special abilities... Just technology and skill.

Anyway two questions. Do any of you all have any suggestions for a gauntlet that can damage heavily armored/Metallic opponents? For example like an Ironman or Colossus type of opponent. Any suggestions? Most fictional characters have armors that are damn near impenetrable so I need a clever, scientific way to deal with it.

Next question durability negation. What that means is being able to hurt a opponent no matter how physically strong they are. So for example I hear that Sonic waves are able to hurt internal organs. Do you all have any gauntlet suggestions that solves these problems?

Thank you all for your time. All responses welcome

Physics news on Phys.org
TevinDoolyrah said:
OC Roulette, he’s a Boxer with different gauntlets at his disposal. The gauntlets are to allow him to contend with supernatural opponents. He has no powers or special abilities... Just technology and skill.
I take this to mean that, though the gauntlets are useful against supernatural opponents, they have no supernatural properties. This makes sense, because supernatural creatures can be vulnerable to ordinary materials. There is nothing supernatural about wooden stakes, silver bullets, wolfsbane, garlic, or iron, but these materials are proof against some supernatural creatures. So far, so good.

A gauntlet with spikes, some made of silver, others of iron, others of the hardest known wood (Australian Buloke), could help your hero dispatch vampires, werewolves, and witches.

Against superpowers like the X-Men's, which, in your comic book universe, might be explained with magic, you might consider powerful ultrasound or lasers. However, depending on how "hard" you want to science of the gauntlets to be, the latter two methods might damage the hero's hands. This wouldn't be the case with gauntlets that launch miniature robot insects that double as bombs--or cover the opponents' eyes with sticky black pigment, or inject chemical agents, or drill through metal.

Likes TevinDoolyrah
Lren Zvsm said:
This wouldn't be the case with gauntlets that launch miniature robot insects that double as bombs--or cover the opponents' eyes with sticky black pigment, or inject chemical agents, or drill through metal.
And you might also consider that they eject nano-bots that do something like convert flesh to dust and replicate themselves as they do it (but dissolve themselves soon after so they become harmless to others).

Likes TevinDoolyrah and Lren Zvsm
TevinDoolyrah said:
Do any of you all have any suggestions for a gauntlet that can damage heavily armored/Metallic opponents? For example like an Ironman or Colossus type of opponent. Any suggestions?
Ironman has technobabble that is close to magic, and Colossus is pure fantasy, so having something that is close to physically possible is pretty unlikely. So instead:

A nutrenic reaction with the surface coating of the gauntlets turns electrons into muons! This makes all the atoms suddenly contract and become much heavier. All chemical bonds fall apart into basic elements. Structures fail because muon atoms can't interact with normal ones. The muons revert back to electrons in microseconds, but by that time, anything sold has turned to fine elemental powder. (Which may suddenly oxidize, burn, or explode, depending on what the original item was made of.)

This has the added advantage that anyone who wants to fight your character must first spend all day reading those wikipedia links.

Likes TevinDoolyrah and Lren Zvsm
Lren Zvsm said:
I take this to mean that, though the gauntlets are useful against supernatural opponents, they have no supernatural properties. This makes sense, because supernatural creatures can be vulnerable to ordinary materials. There is nothing supernatural about wooden stakes, silver bullets, wolfsbane, garlic, or iron, but these materials are proof against some supernatural creatures. So far, so good.

A gauntlet with spikes, some made of silver, others of iron, others of the hardest known wood (Australian Buloke), could help your hero dispatch vampires, werewolves, and witches.

Against superpowers like the X-Men's, which, in your comic book universe, might be explained with magic, you might consider powerful ultrasound or lasers. However, depending on how "hard" you want to science of the gauntlets to be, the latter two methods might damage the hero's hands. This wouldn't be the case with gauntlets that launch miniature robot insects that double as bombs--or cover the opponents' eyes with sticky black pigment, or inject chemical agents, or drill through metal.
hey appreciate your input my friend! Could you please go into ultra sonics? How does that work exactly and what effects would that have on the body? Or are the effects something I can just make up?

Algr said:
Ironman has technobabble that is close to magic, and Colossus is pure fantasy, so having something that is close to physically possible is pretty unlikely. So instead:

A nutrenic reaction with the surface coating of the gauntlets turns electrons into muons! This makes all the atoms suddenly contract and become much heavier. All chemical bonds fall apart into basic elements. Structures fail because muon atoms can't interact with normal ones. The muons revert back to electrons in microseconds, but by that time, anything sold has turned to fine elemental powder. (Which may suddenly oxidize, burn, or explode, depending on what the original item was made of.)

This has the added advantage that anyone who wants to fight your character must first spend all day reading those wikipedia links.
Yoooooo this sounds crazzzzyyy!!!!! So essentially you’re saying He could punch an armored opponent and based on the material the armor would be degraded?! That sounds really cool! Question you mentioned atoms contracting and becoming heavier, so there is a sci-fi way of making something become heavier without using gravity? Could you elaborate on that?

I had a concept where the character could increase his weight With technology temporarily making him stronger but more difficult to move. I liked this concept because it was similar to a boxer changing weight classes, but scrapped it because I couldn’t explain how it would theoretically work at all without the use of gravity. So any information helps man thank you! 💪

phinds said:
And you might also consider that they eject nano-bots that do something like convert flesh to dust and replicate themselves as they do it (but dissolve themselves soon after so they become harmless to others).
That’s absolutely terrifying technology but that’s definitely durability negation alright!

TevinDoolyrah said:
Question you mentioned atoms contracting and becoming heavier, so there is a sci-fi way of making something become heavier without using gravity? Could you elaborate on that?
Well, Muons aren't as heavy a protons, so the added weight would be less than double, and would last for only microseconds. To make a Muon, you add a Electron neutrino and a Muon neutrino to the electron. Since those are very light, and variable mass, I'm not clear on where the extra mass of the Muon comes from. But their lifespan is so short that you aren't going to be slowing any people down much.

Turning an electron into a Muon has an unexpected result: The atom becomes an isotope of a different atom, as if it had fewer protons. Turning the carbon in their DNA into Boron & Beryllium is going to mess up your opponent's day. Even if it turns back instantly, all the molecules will still be chopped to bits and won't be DNA anymore. I can't imagine what this would do to steel or adamantium.

I've been figuring that these neutrinos come from some sort of contrived vacuum fluctuations, and thus disappear once the Muon decays back into an electron.

Likes TevinDoolyrah
Algr said:
Well, Muons aren't as heavy a protons, so the added weight would be less than double, and would last for only microseconds. To make a Muon, you add a Electron neutrino and a Muon neutrino to the electron. Since those are very light, and variable mass, I'm not clear on where the extra mass of the Muon comes from. But their lifespan is so short that you aren't going to be slowing any people down much.

Turning an electron into a Muon has an unexpected result: The atom becomes an isotope of a different atom, as if it had fewer protons. Turning the carbon in their DNA into Boron & Beryllium is going to mess up your opponent's day. Even if it turns back instantly, all the molecules will still be chopped to bits and won't be DNA anymore. I can't imagine what this would do to steel or adamantium.

I've been figuring that these neutrinos come from some sort of contrived vacuum fluctuations, and thus disappear once the Muon decays back into an electron.
This is lovely information my friend!! Thank you so much for the information!!

Wouldn't something based on simpler principles be better? Like what they did in The Boys, where a guy's skin is made of carbon nanotubes or somesuch,, so he gets badly electrocuted because that's conductive.

Iron-person types could similarly be susceptible to high current. Although a genius engineer would likely include proper shielding where possible.

Or, say, magnets. You have a dude(tte) with the skin made of ferromagnetic materials that is still, supernaturally, flexible - you put an (implausibly strong, perhaps) electromagnet against his/her skin, and the skin on the back side is attracted to the front side, squeezing all the organs inside into a paste.
Or if the organs are made of iron too, and get jerked from their proper places by the magnet outside the body.
Tough luck for the hero if the metal is not ferromagnetic.

Likes TevinDoolyrah
Bandersnatch said:
Wouldn't something based on simpler principles be better? Like what they did in The Boys, where a guy's skin is made of carbon nanotubes or somesuch,, so he gets badly electrocuted because that's conductive.

Iron-person types could similarly be susceptible to high current. Although a genius engineer would likely include proper shielding where possible.

Or, say, magnets. You have a dude(tte) with the skin made of ferromagnetic materials that is still, supernaturally, flexible - you put an (implausibly strong, perhaps) electromagnet against his/her skin, and the skin on the back side is attracted to the front side, squeezing all the organs inside into a paste.
Or if the organs are made of iron too, and get jerked from their proper places by the magnet outside the body.
Tough luck for the hero if the metal is not ferromagnetic.
That’s some mortal kombat type dang right there! Highly creative and Beautifully described. unfortunately like you said though most fictional suits/armor are all usually immune or resistant to electricity. Hmmm what would you do to hypothetically bypass iron man’s suit?

TevinDoolyrah said:
Hmmm what would you do to hypothetically bypass iron man’s suit?
Go around it, via the fourth spatial dimension.

As far as anyone else could see, the suit, or the person inside, would just vanish. You'd then get to decide how the fourth dimension works. Maybe they would slowly flutter back into the 3d plane after a few minutes. Or maybe they would float away and be gone forever. If you have enough control, you might be able to pluck his wallet and keys back into 3d and walk off with them. Or place McDonalds food into his stomach against his will.

TevinDoolyrah said:
View attachment 335895
Hey guys I’m working on a comic book and need a little help with making sense of my character’s kit. This is my OC Roulette, he’s a Boxer with different gauntlets at his disposal. The gauntlets are to allow him to contend with supernatural opponents. He has no powers or special abilities... Just technology and skill.

Anyway two questions. Do any of you all have any suggestions for a gauntlet that can damage heavily armored/Metallic opponents?

Nature is always there for inspiration (wiki on The Mantis Shrimp):

"Both types [of shrimps] strike by rapidly unfolding and swinging their raptorial claws at the prey, and can inflict serious damage on victims significantly greater in size than themselves. In smashers, these two weapons are employed with blinding quickness, with an acceleration of 10,400 g (102,000 m/s2 or 335,000 ft/s2) and speeds of 23 m/s (83 km/h; 51 mph) from a standing start.[10] Because they strike so rapidly, they generate vapor-filled bubbles in the water between the appendage and the striking surface—known as cavitation bubbles.[10] The collapse of these cavitation bubbles produces measurable forces on their prey in addition to the instantaneous forces of 1,500 newtons that are caused by the impact of the appendage against the striking surface, which means that the prey is hit twice by a single strike; first by the claw and then by the collapsing cavitation bubbles that immediately follow.[11] Even if the initial strike misses the prey, the resulting shock wave can be enough to stun or kill."

What are some effective strategies for enhancing the capabilities of my original comic book?

To enhance your original comic book, focus on developing rich, multi-dimensional characters and a compelling storyline. Utilize feedback from readers to refine your narratives and artwork. Incorporating interactive elements, such as augmented reality or digital features, can also elevate the reader's experience and engagement. Additionally, staying consistent with your publishing schedule helps maintain reader interest and loyalty.

How can I increase the visibility and reach of my original comic book?

Increasing visibility and reach can be achieved by leveraging social media platforms, creating engaging content that can be shared, and interacting with your audience. Attending comic conventions, participating in comic book forums, and collaborating with other comic creators or influencers can also expand your reach. Consider offering a free first issue or sample to attract new readers. Additionally, SEO optimization for your comic's website can help attract more online traffic.

What are the best platforms to publish my original comic book?

Choosing the right platform depends on your target audience and goals. Popular digital platforms like Webtoon, Tapas, and ComiXology offer great exposure to a wide audience. For physical copies, self-publishing through services like Kickstarter for initial funding and print-on-demand services like Amazon's Kindle Direct Publishing can be effective. Local comic shops may also agree to stock your comic, providing a direct channel to dedicated comic book readers.

How can I effectively monetize my original comic book?

Monetizing your comic book can be done through direct sales of digital and physical copies, subscriptions, and merchandise related to your comic. Crowdfunding platforms offer a way to fund your project while building a community. Additionally, offering exclusive content through Patreon or similar services can generate ongoing revenue. Licensing deals and advertising in your comic or on your website are other viable revenue streams.

What legal considerations should I keep in mind when creating and publishing my original comic book?

It's crucial to protect your intellectual property by copyrighting your comic book's content. If you are including elements created by others, ensure you have the appropriate licenses or permissions. Be aware of trademark issues, particularly with character names and distinctive logos. Consulting with a legal expert specializing in intellectual property rights in the publishing or entertainment industry is advisable to avoid potential legal issues.