Astrologist sues NASA over comet crash

In summary: This astrologist pisses me off. :mad: This gives those of us trying to study the subject with objectivity a bad reputation. Why is it the few bad apples ruin it for the rest of us? As far as I know, planetoids are sometimes considered in a chart, but that is all dependent upon the astrologist. Besides, how much of an impact would our satellite have upon this huge rock? And if there was an impact that made a significant difference to the orbit of the comet,...then wouldn't that impact have been detected by now? :
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
MOSCOW (Reuters) - A Russian astrologist who says NASA has altered her horoscope by crashing a spacecraft into a comet is suing the U.S. space agency for damages of $300 million, local media reported Monday.

http://reuters.excite.com//article/...309275_RTRIDST_0_ODD-RUSSIA-HOROSCOPE-DC.html

:uhh: :rofl: I feel bad for whoever the people are at NASA who have to actually deal with the legal nonsense, but I sure do wish I was there to see the expression on the face of whoever the first person was to read it. :bugeye: Hopefully it will be quickly dismissed by the courts.

Physics news on Phys.org
Kerrie would know for sure, but I don't believe comets are part of astrological charts, especially ones that aren't visible or tracked, unlike Haley's.

What a nut.

comets are parts of astrological charts. I think they 'symbolize' something.

what a crazy nut! Nobody complained about the moon landing... :mad:

I was hoping nobody would mention this idiotic "story"

Thanks Moonbear, you ruined my last hopes. My probability is shattered - I mean wow, you are the last person I thought would post this. I woulda expected this from like yomomma or Astronuc.. ah what the hey, the world's gone up in flames.

Next time my windows crashes, I'm filing a class action suit against Microsoft for moral, emotional, educational, and spiritual/religious damages caused to me.

cronxeh said:
I was hoping nobody would mention this idiotic "story"

Thanks Moonbear, you ruined my last hopes. My probability is shattered - I mean wow, you are the last person I thought would post this. I woulda expected this from like yomomma or Astronuc.. ah what the hey, the world's gone up in flames.

Next time my windows crashes, I'm filing a class action suit against Microsoft for moral, emotional, educational, and spiritual/religious damages caused to me.

Just don't sue me for it. :biggrin: :rofl: That's why I posted it over here in GD. It just struck me as so idiotic that I had to share it with others I knew would appreciate the idiocy. If it's so important to your astrological chart, remake the chart. :tongue2:

yes I do believe this Newtonian bump caused my libra/scorpio cusp compatibility to be nudged a little and I'm now attracted to Scorpios.. Say, Moonbie.. how you doin'?

raaawrr :tongue2:

According to the "Astrology Encyclopedia" - "The astrological significance of comets has been the subject of much study, but so far no definite conclusions have been reached."

http://www.astrologyweekly.com/dictionary/comets.php

The only ones even mentioned are ones that have been seen. She doesn't even seem to have the field of astrology behind her.

Moonbear said:
Just don't sue me for it. :biggrin: :rofl:
:rofl: :rofl:

What kind of belief system doesn't take into account NASA spacecraft s crashing? I thought that was a given. :biggrin:

Her lawyer said that under Russian law she can recover the cost of any damage that results.
Sounds fair to me: Value of a comet: $0. Say, the damage comes out to 50% of the value... let's see, multiply by the uhhh...carry the, hmmm... can someone figure that one out for me?

Perhaps astrology is nonsense, perhaps not. But either way its a more sensible idea than the idea of dropping bombs on passing comets. I guess American taxpayers are a bit more easy going about how their money is spent than most.

Canute said:
Perhaps astrology is nonsense, perhaps not. But either way its a more sensible idea than the idea of dropping bombs on passing comets.
Why?

Btw, the Japanese are shooting bullets at asteroids... http://www.planetary.org/news/2004/hayabusa_earth-swingby_preview.html :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
honestrosewater said:
:rofl: :rofl:

What kind of belief system doesn't take into account NASA spacecraft s crashing? I thought that was a given. :biggrin:

She obviously should have sought the advice of a fortune teller prior to preparing her chart. Can't blame NASA if her fortune teller got it wrong. :rolleyes:

Russ_Watters said:
Btw, the Japanese are shooting bullets at asteroids...
Hey, I loved that game as a kid! Um... :uhh: I mean the video game Asteroids. :biggrin:

I don't care if it screwed up her horoscope. It finally straightened mine out!

Evo said:
Kerrie would know for sure, but I don't believe comets are part of astrological charts, especially ones that aren't visible or tracked, unlike Haley's.

What a nut.

This astrologist pisses me off. :mad: This gives those of us trying to study the subject with objectivity a bad reputation. Why is it the few bad apples ruin it for the rest of us? As far as I know, planetoids are sometimes considered in a chart, but that is all dependent upon the astrologist. Besides, how much of an impact would our satellite have upon this huge rock? And if there was an impact that made a significant difference to the orbit of the comet, I would think this would be an opportunity for astrolgists (the legitimate ones) to study the impact from the astrological point of view.

She obviously should have sought the advice of a fortune teller prior to preparing her chart. Can't blame NASA if her fortune teller got it wrong

Astrology is not meant to tell your fortune.

zoobyshoe said:
I don't care if it screwed up her horoscope. It finally straightened mine out!
Maybe she should be suing you. Stealing her karma or something?? Sounds like "solid legal ground" to me...

Kerrie said:
Astrology is not meant to tell your fortune.
It seems that must be her interpretation of it, that if something disrupts a comet, her future is going to change. But, that's not what I meant by that comment anyway. I meant she needed a fortune teller to let her know the comet would collide with a satellite so she could prepare her chart accordingly, not that the chart was going to tell her future (if it could, her chart should have already predicted this anomaly). I'm just countering a nutty argument with another nutty argument. It's her own fault for not calling a fortune teller before embarking on the task of preparing her chart. :tongue2:

honestrosewater said:
Maybe she should be suing you. Stealing her karma or something?? Sounds like "solid legal ground" to me...
Let her try suing me! My horoscope now says: "You will be invincible in all legal battles."

This just up

Roy's News Service said:
...but today, the Russian astrologist retracted her charges against NASA saying only, "oh, that comet. Never mind". She was otherwise unavailable for comment

Well isn't THAT convienent...

This astrologist is too funny. Should we give her a big hand? lol

Ivan Seeking said:
Originally Posted by Roy's News Service, Moscow
...but today, the Russian astrologist retracted her charges against NASA saying only, "oh, that comet. Never mind". She was otherwise unavailable for comment
:rofl: Roy's News Service :biggrin:

Well so happy :biggrin: :biggrin: :smile:

too funny.

$300 million?!? Did she actually expect to make that much money in the future from astrology? If so, maybe I'm in the wrong business. :)

I should probably let sleeping dogs lie, but if she believes that celestial objects affect (or even control) our future, then wouldn't NASA's actions been part of the Cosmic Plan? Didn't her horoscope predict that her horoscope would be messed up? Or is that too much of a paradox? (apologies to Kerrie...I know this is not how you view astrology)

I like how humans try learn about something, we either shoot it or try blow it up. Reminds me of apes and monkeys.

1. What is the reason for the astrologist suing NASA over the comet crash?

The astrologist is claiming that the comet crash, which occurred in 2005 as part of NASA's Deep Impact mission, disrupted the natural balance of the universe and caused negative effects on her personal life and career as an astrologist.

2. What evidence does the astrologist have to support her lawsuit against NASA?

The astrologist has claimed to have experienced a series of unfortunate events, such as illness and financial struggles, following the comet crash. She believes that these events are a direct result of the disruption caused by NASA's mission.

3. Has NASA responded to the lawsuit?

Yes, NASA has responded to the lawsuit and has stated that there is no scientific evidence to support the astrologist's claims. They maintain that the comet crash was a successful and necessary part of their scientific research.

4. What is the likelihood of the astrologist winning the lawsuit against NASA?

It is unlikely that the astrologist will win the lawsuit, as she does not have any scientific evidence to support her claims and NASA has a strong defense. Additionally, the court system does not typically recognize astrology as a valid science.

5. What impact could this lawsuit have on the field of astrology?

This lawsuit has the potential to bring attention to the debate over whether astrology should be considered a valid science. However, it is unlikely to have a significant impact on the field as a whole, as astrology is not widely recognized or accepted in the scientific community.