Astronomy master's degree with a bachelor's degree in law?

In summary, it is not possible to go straight into an astrophysics and astronomy master's degree with a bachelor's degree in law. It is recommended to pursue a physics bachelor's degree first. The first two years of a physics degree may be intermixed with general education courses, which could shorten the timeline. It is not possible to take the necessary physics courses in just 6 months. Taking courses online is not recommended and most reputable graduate programs will require a full slate of undergraduate physics courses in addition to a good performance on the PGRE.
Menna2296
Hello everybody,
according to your experience please give me an advice,
Can i go to an astrophysics& astronomy master's degree with a bachelor's degree in law ? I've studied Physics and Math 2 ( calculus, mechanices,algebra) in high school. i was getting high marks at them and I am so comfortable with numbers and i like to use my brain in maths' problems. besides I like the whole idea of laws and its applying that's why i entered a law school . but now i know i should go back to see the numbers instead of so much talk. NOW , I am 20 years old in my senior year. Please, do not say go to a physics bachelor's degree . I have no power to start my master's degree with 24 years old.
Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer is going to be to do a physics bachelor's degree, I'm afraid. A bachelor's degree in law simply won't qualify you for advanced coursework in physics. Physics is cumulative and the instructors of graduate level courses will assume that you're already familiar with everything up to the beginning of the course. So even if you were able to get in, in all likelihood you'd have a hard time keeping up. Remember, everyone else in those classes will have spent their last four years building a solid foundation in physics - studying nearly every day, wrestling with problems, working through labs, etc. And they're going to tend to be the sharper half of the group that did that too.

Likes CalcNerd and Student100
To add to Choppy, and (somewhat) alleviate your concern about how old you'll be when you finish, the first two years of a Physics degree is also intermixed with general education courses, which you should be able to claim prior credit for. That could turn a four year degree into two or three, depending on what you get credit for and how you load up courses.

Likes CalcNerd
Choppy said:
The answer is going to be to do a physics bachelor's degree, I'm afraid. A bachelor's degree in law simply won't qualify you for advanced coursework in physics. Physics is cumulative and the instructors of graduate level courses will assume that you're already familiar with everything up to the beginning of the course. So even if you were able to get in, in all likelihood you'd have a hard time keeping up. Remember, everyone else in those classes will have spent their last four years building a solid foundation in physics - studying nearly every day, wrestling with problems, working through labs, etc. And they're going to tend to be the sharper half of the group that did that too.
I've already found some program offering master's degree in physics for those with unrelated degree in chicago uni. I've not applied because of its cost. however, can i study for GRE physics test by my own and the go for master's degree ?

Student100 said:
To add to Choppy, and (somewhat) alleviate your concern about how old you'll be when you finish, the first two years of a Physics degree is also intermixed with general education courses, which you should be able to claim prior credit for. That could turn a four year degree into two or three, depending on what you get credit for and how you load up courses.
2 years is still so much, Can i take those courses intensively by 6 months for instence ?

Menna2296 said:
2 years is still so much, Can i take those courses intensively by 6 months for instence ?

Are you 8 times smarter than a UChicago undergrad?

Likes CalcNerd
Vanadium 50 said:
Are you 8 times smarter than a UChicago undergrad?
Come on, I've said (for instence). I do not need all physics taken in an undergraduate degree. I need the physics' courses qulaifying me to resume in astrophysics degree.

Menna2296 said:
Come on, I've said (for instence). I do not need all physics taken in an undergraduate degree. I need the physics' courses qulaifying me to resume in astrophysics degree.

You do, actually. The core classes are quantum mechanics, E&M, and classical mechanics. If you're going to be doing astrophysics, you'll need all of them. And even if you didn't, you will not get admitted into a graduate program without showing proficiency in all of them.

You asked a question, you got an answer. You don't like the answer you got? Whatever.

Menna2296 said:

You need all the sophomore, junior, and senior level physics and math courses. That's likely 2-3 years worth of work.

6 months is an unrealistic fantasy.

Your propensity for ignoring good advice is not a good sign.

Dishsoap said:
You do, actually. The core classes are quantum mechanics, E&M, and classical mechanics. If you're going to be doing astrophysics, you'll need all of them. And even if you didn't, you will not get admitted into a graduate program without showing proficiency in all of them.
Do you advise me with taking those courses online ? or study by myself and take the GRE physics test ? is GRE physucs is enough for a graduate astrophysics school ? or take a pre_master courses with the university i'll be admitted to ?

Menna2296 said:
Do you advise me with taking those courses online ? or study by myself and take the GRE physics test ? is GRE physucs is enough for a graduate astrophysics school ? or take a pre_master courses with the university i'll be admitted to ?

There are no accredited online offerings of quantum mechanics, E&M, classical mechanics, or thermodynamics (stat mech) that I can recommend with any enthusiasm or that I think the admissions folks for any reputable graduate program in astrophysics will not scoff at.

Most admissions folks for reputable graduate programs will likely want to see the full slate of undergrad physics courses (and a lot of math) on the transcript of an accredited institution in addition to a good PGRE score to be convinced an applicant has a good chance to succeed in their program. They want a documented track record of learning. The PGRE is a single data point, but an important one. It is necessary but not sufficient.

Vanadium 50 said:
You asked a question, you got an answer. You don't like the answer you got? Whatever.
No you've misunderstood me. Thanks for trying to help me. but i am trying to give a precise image of my problem of being late.

Dr. Courtney said:
You need all the sophomore, junior, and senior level physics and math courses. That's likely 2-3 years worth of work.

6 months is an unrealistic fantasy.

Your propensity for ignoring good advice is not a good sign.
I am not ignoring any of your sweet advice. I do thank you for giving me ur time trying to help. but I am starting my ambition in late age that's my whole problem . I want to invest short time doing what others did in 4 years because maybe they started their ambition with 16 17 years old.
Whatever 2 years are good. you mean 2 years is an undergraduate level or some like pre_master's program ?
do you advise me of studying by myself for GRE physics test ? or wait till i finish those 2 years you've mentioned ?

Dr. Courtney said:
There are no accredited online offerings of quantum mechanics, E&M, classical mechanics, or thermodynamics (stat mech) that I can recommend with any enthusiasm or that I think the admissions folks for any reputable graduate program in astrophysics will not scoff at.

Most admissions folks for reputable graduate programs will likely want to see the full slate of undergrad physics courses (and a lot of math) on the transcript of an accredited institution in addition to a good PGRE score to be convinced an applicant has a good chance to succeed in their program. They want a documented track record of learning. The PGRE is a single data point, but an important one. It is necessary but not sufficient.
Can i take an undergraduate degree in physics in 2 years ? or is it possible to ask them to give me a pre_master courses ? it is impossible to do that in my country . Which countries would accept my condition ?

Menna2296 said:
Can i take an undergraduate degree in physics in 2 years ? or is it possible to ask them to give me a pre_master courses ? it is impossible to do that in my country . Which countries would accept my condition ?

If you got the cash and can get into the US, lots of accredited institutions will likely admit you as a transient student (not degree seeking) and let you take any and all courses for which you have the pre-requisites on an accredited college transcript. Once you pass a few upper level physics courses, you would likely be admitted to a degree program to earn a BS in Physics.

You are very unlikely to qualify for financial aid. You likely need to budget $20k or so per year, depending on lifestyle, tuition, health care, etc.

But you may also face a challenge getting the university to accept what you have already done as equivalent to college credit in 2 semesters of Calculus and 2 semesters of Calculus-based general physics. All of the upper level physics courses require those as pre-requisites, and many courses also require Calc 3, Diff Eq, Linear Algebra, etc.

It can be hard to get schools to talk about the details of accepting transfer credit and pre-requisites before you are admitted as a student. In any event, no one can even give you good guidance about these questions without seeing your actual college transcript. But in most cases, work done in high school is not going to count for much unless it has already been recognized on an accredited college transcript. Nor should it.

Thinking you are two years away is likely overly optimistic. IF you get a uni to accept your pre-requisites for 1 year of freshman Physics AND Calculus, you are more likely 3 years away. IF they do not accept your pre-reqs, you are closer to 4 years away in most BS Physics programs.

Dr. Courtney said:
If you got the cash and can get into the US, lots of accredited institutions will likely admit you as a transient student (not degree seeking) and let you take any and all courses for which you have the pre-requisites on an accredited college transcript. Once you pass a few upper level physics courses, you would likely be admitted to a degree program to earn a BS in Physics.

You are very unlikely to qualify for financial aid. You likely need to budget $20k or so per year, depending on lifestyle, tuition, health care, etc.

But you may also face a challenge getting the university to accept what you have already done as equivalent to college credit in 2 semesters of Calculus and 2 semesters of Calculus-based general physics. All of the upper level physics courses require those as pre-requisites, and many courses also require Calc 3, Diff Eq, Linear Algebra, etc.

It can be hard to get schools to talk about the details of accepting transfer credit and pre-requisites before you are admitted as a student. In any event, no one can even give you good guidance about these questions without seeing your actual college transcript. But in most cases, work done in high school is not going to count for much unless it has already been recognized on an accredited college transcript. Nor should it.

Thinking you are two years away is likely overly optimistic. IF you get a uni to accept your pre-requisites for 1 year of freshman Physics AND Calculus, you are more likely 3 years away. IF they do not accept your pre-reqs, you are closer to 4 years away in most BS Physics programs.
Do you have any idea which universities with reasonable fees would accept me ? Not only in the US but also in any other european universty

Menna2296 said:
Do you have any idea which universities with reasonable fees would accept me ? Not only in the US but also in any other european universty

"Reasonable fees"? Depends on what you mean. In the US, cost of living near most college campuses is $10-$12k a year before you pay a penny in tuition. I'm not familiar with European universities, but in the US, you will not qualify for in-state tuition at most universities, so you are looking at $5-$10k per year in tuition. That is considered "reasonable" for out of state tuition at public universities and the tuition everyone pays for full time at private universities. They will likely accept you as a transient student, because they want to cash your tuition checks. Travel and the required health insurance will likely be expensive also.

Dr. Courtney said:
"Reasonable fees"? Depends on what you mean. In the US, cost of living near most college campuses is $10-$12k a year before you pay a penny in tuition. I'm not familiar with European universities, but in the US, you will not qualify for in-state tuition at most universities, so you are looking at $5-$10k per year in tuition. That is considered "reasonable" for out of state tuition at public universities and the tuition everyone pays for full time at private universities. They will likely accept you as a transient student, because they want to cash your tuition checks. Travel and the required health insurance will likely be expensive also.
Do you mean that private universities are the ones to accept me as a transient student ? Give me names of those universities

Menna2296 said:
Do you mean that private universities are the ones to accept me as a transient student ? Give me names of those universities

I think most minimally selective private and the public universities will likely accept most foreign students as transients if several conditions are satisfied:

1. They have an undergraduate transcript with a decent GPA from an accredited university.
2. They can get permission to come here in a student status.
3. They can pay.

You can google US universities yourself and contact their admissions offices.

1. What is the advantage of pursuing a master's degree in astronomy with a bachelor's degree in law?

The combination of a law degree with a master's degree in astronomy offers a unique and valuable skill set. It allows individuals to apply their legal knowledge to the rapidly growing field of space law, which is becoming increasingly important as companies and governments expand their activities in space.

2. Can I apply for a master's degree in astronomy with a bachelor's degree in law?

Yes, most universities welcome students from diverse academic backgrounds and value the interdisciplinary approach that a law degree can bring to the field of astronomy. However, it is important to note that some programs may require prerequisite courses in mathematics and physics.

3. What career opportunities are available with a master's degree in astronomy and a bachelor's degree in law?

Graduates with this unique combination of degrees may find opportunities in various industries, including space law firms, government agencies, and space companies. They may work as legal advisors, policy analysts, or consultants in areas such as space exploration, satellite communications, and space tourism.

4. What skills will I gain from pursuing a master's degree in astronomy with a bachelor's degree in law?

In addition to technical knowledge in astronomy and space law, this degree combination also develops critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. Students also gain an understanding of the legal and ethical implications of space exploration and the ability to communicate complex scientific concepts to non-scientists.

5. Are there any specific programs or universities that offer a master's degree in astronomy with a bachelor's degree in law?

Yes, there are several universities around the world that offer specialized programs in space law and policy, including the University of Leiden in the Netherlands, McGill University in Canada, and the University of Nebraska-Lincoln in the United States. It is important to research and compare different programs to find the best fit for your academic and career goals.