Astronomy Spectroscopy help

In summary, a student is struggling with a question about continuum radiation in an Astronomy and Astrophysics course and is seeking help on how to sketch the observed continuum radiation in a given wavelength range. They have tried looking on the internet and asking for a quick lesson but are still unsure. The question involves finding the blackbody graph and accounting for the Doppler shift.
NIQ
Hello all,

I am currently doing a 3rd year Astronomy and Astrophysics course and I am having some trouble with the current problem set (this is mainly because our teacher doesn't really teach us anything but that's another story).

This is the question in particular that is bothering me:
2) Let’s assume that Star A has surface temperature of 10000 K and moving away from us at 1000 km/s. First, draw (or sketch) its observed continuum radiation in the 0.1 – 2.0 micron range. Specify the wavelength where the continuum emission is most intense. What’s the dynamic range (=maximum/minimum) of the continuum emission in the given wavelength range?

I tried looking on the internet for continuum radiation (and later found that its also called braking radiation or Bremsstrahlung) but I could not find anything useful.

So I was wondering if anyone could give me a quick lesson on how I would sketch this continuum radiation in this range? Should I find a function using the electron transition equations?

I am really clueless here and any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks,
Nick.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok I see what he is asking now... he just wants the blackbody graph in this range.

NIQ said:
Ok I see what he is asking now... he just wants the blackbody graph in this range.

Right, but don't forget about the Doppler shift.

Find the curve for a 10000 k blackbody, and then make the shift to longer wavelengths that is appropriate for a source recessional velocity of 1000 km/s.

Yeah I remembered to do that, although the shift for 1000km/s is hardly noticeable anyways.

1. What is astronomy spectroscopy?

Astronomy spectroscopy is a branch of astronomy that involves the study of celestial objects and their properties through the analysis of their light spectra. It helps scientists understand the composition, temperature, and movement of objects in space.

2. How does astronomy spectroscopy work?

Astronomy spectroscopy works by splitting the light from an object into its different wavelengths, or colors. This creates a spectrum that can be analyzed to determine the elements present in the object, as each element produces a unique spectral pattern.

3. What types of objects can be studied using astronomy spectroscopy?

Astronomy spectroscopy can be used to study a wide range of objects in space, including stars, planets, galaxies, and even interstellar gas and dust clouds. It can also be used to study objects within our own solar system, such as comets and asteroids.

4. What are some applications of astronomy spectroscopy?

Astronomy spectroscopy has many applications in the field of astronomy. It can help scientists determine the chemical composition of distant objects, study the temperature and density of different regions in space, and even detect the presence of molecules that may indicate the potential for life in other planets.

5. How does astronomy spectroscopy contribute to our understanding of the universe?

Astronomy spectroscopy is a powerful tool for understanding the universe. It allows us to study the physical properties of objects in space, such as their chemical composition and temperature, which can provide insight into the formation and evolution of the universe. It also helps us to identify and study new objects and phenomena, leading to new discoveries and advancements in our understanding of the cosmos.