Astrophysics for the Math Challenged

In summary, the individual is considering pursuing a path in astrophysics/cosmology despite struggling with math skills. They have a job that allows for studying and will have free tuition for the first three years. They are seeking advice on where to self-teach math and if it is worth taking a Math 101 class. The recommended advice is to use resources like Khan Academy and a book on physical cosmology, and to take the necessary math classes for a deeper understanding of physics.
IkeB777
I am seriously considering a path of education in the direction of astrophysics/cosmology, but I can barely divide numbers on paper. I have never had any aptitude for mathematics, in my view, but I am extremely interested in the concepts of physics and always have been. If I go to school, I will be going for free for at least 3 of the 4 first years, thank you Obama, but I wouldn't be seeking a career with it, I just want to know it better. I think I would be a cut-rate astrophysicist were I to seek it as a profession. I have a job that I like, which affords me a lot of time for study most of the year, and we go crazy and make a third of our yearly income within 6 weeks in the middle of the summer.

My struggle is not only with an apparent block to, or fear of math, but also the fear of all that other stuff I would have to 'complete' in order to learn deeper the subjects about which I care the most. This is my laziness speaking, and I know the answer to this question is just suck it up, thanks for reading...

Also, could someone point me in the direction of good places to look for self-teaching on the internet, hopefully free of charge, particularly in lower maths, so I may not have to waste the free money on a couple of classes?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that most likely the path of least resistance towards getting the math skills you will need is by taking classes, not avoiding them and trying to learn on your own.

So you think the money spent on Math 101 is money well spent?

Go to the library (or Amazon) and get a book like this:
Principles of Physical Cosmology by Phillip James Edwin Peebles.
Start reading it and see if you can make any sense out of it.

Thanks Robin and gmax. That's teamwork!

IkeB777 said:
So you think the money spent on Math 101 is money well spent?

If you want to take Math 201, yes.

Obviously there is a subjective element to these things. Some people take the class and just learn everything out of the textbook, but if you want to seriously study physics at more than a superficial level (i.e. beyond a first year college class) you need the prerequisits and that's all there is to it.

1. What is the purpose of learning about astrophysics for someone who is not good at math?

Learning about astrophysics can help us better understand the universe we live in and the laws that govern it. It can also help us appreciate the beauty and complexity of the cosmos. While math may be challenging for some, the concepts of astrophysics can still be understood and appreciated without extensive mathematical knowledge.

2. How does astrophysics relate to everyday life?

Astrophysics has many practical applications in our everyday lives. For example, GPS systems rely on the principles of relativity, and understanding the behavior of celestial bodies can help us predict and prepare for natural disasters. Additionally, many technological advancements, such as medical imaging and solar energy, have roots in astrophysics research.

3. Can someone with no background in science understand astrophysics?

Yes, astrophysics can be understood by anyone with an interest in the subject. While some mathematical knowledge may be helpful, many concepts can be explained and understood without it. There are also many resources available, such as books and online lectures, that break down complex ideas into more accessible language.

4. What are the most fundamental concepts in astrophysics?

Some of the most fundamental concepts in astrophysics include gravity, electromagnetism, and the laws of motion. These principles help explain the behavior of celestial bodies, the formation of galaxies, and the evolution of the universe.

5. How does astrophysics contribute to our understanding of the universe?

Astrophysics plays a crucial role in expanding our understanding of the universe. By studying the behavior of celestial bodies, the formation of galaxies, and the origins of the universe, we can gain insight into the fundamental laws and processes that govern our universe. This knowledge can also lead to advancements in other scientific fields and improve our understanding of our place in the cosmos.