Astrophysics Help: Calculating Mass of Hydrogen Converted in Sun Over 10B Years

In summary, a first year astronomy student at Curtin University in Western Australia is struggling with an assignment to calculate the mass of hydrogen converted to helium and energy over 10 billion years in the sun. Using scientific notation and equations, the student determines the total power emitted by the sun over 10 billion years, and uses the equation e=mc^2 to find the mass converted into energy. However, when trying to calculate the amount of hydrogen burnt, the student encounters a discrepancy - only 14% of the current mass of hydrogen in the sun would have been converted in 10 billion years. The student questions whether the reaction rate increases as the sun becomes denser, but it is noted that the commonly quoted 10 billion year lifespan of
Thoth
hey guys, I am new here and thought you might like to help me out. I am a first year astronomy student at Curtin University in Western Australia.

my current assignment has asked me to calculate the mass of hydrogen converted in the sun to helium and energy over 10 billion years (10 billion years being its lifespan on the HR diagram).

now, i understand peoples reluctance to help others who don't prove they have done any work themselves. which is lovely, considering youll now be reading all my own calculations and the result I am getting!

my problem is that my amount of hydrogen burnt in 10 billion years seems to be only 14% of the mass of hydrogen in the sun now. shouldn't it be MUCH more than 14%? stars are supposed to burn of all of their hydrogen by the time they hit red giant phase.

without further ado, and recognising my use of the letter e in figures is scientific notation (10 to the power of) and nothing to do with natural logs.

FIRSTLY, the amount of seconds in 10 billion years.

60 x 60 = 3600 seconds per hour

3600 x 24 = 86400 seconds per day

86400 x 365 = 31536000 seconds per non leap year
86400 x 366 = 31622400 seconds per leap year.

since 10 billion years will consist of 75% non leap years and 25% leap years:

0.75 x 10 billion years = 7.5 e 9 years
0.25 x 10 billion years = 2.5 e 9 years

therefore:

(2.5e9 x 31622400) + (7.5e9 x 31536000) = 3.16224 e 17 seconds in 10 billion years

SECONDLY since the sun emits 3.84e26 joules per second of energy, the total power emitted over 10 billion years would be:

3.84 e 26 x 3.16224 e 17 = 1.214 e 44 watts (or joules per second) of power in 10 billion years we will need this figure later.

THIRDLY now that we have the total power output of the sun over 10 billion years we can use e=mc^2 to find out how much mass has been converted into energy in that time.

1.214 e 44 = m (3 e 8)^2

rearranging for m, gives m = 1.349 e 27 kilograms of mass converted to energy in the sun over 10 billion years

FOURTH so now we get onto the heavy stuff. knowing the masses of the hydrogen atom and helium atoms, and the reaction in the sun which converts the former to the latter + energy, i should be able to get a figure for the total hydrogen burnt. let's give it ago!

The fusion reaction summed up is 4 Hydrogen + 2electrons ----> 1 Helium + 2 neutrinos + 6 photons. Now, remember this is a summary of the 3 steps, but they arent important. only need to know the input and final output.

the mass of a hydrogen atom is 1.673 e -27
the mass of a helium atom is 6.647 e -27

now there are 4 hydrogens going into the reaction so:

4 x 1.673 e -27 = 6.692 e -27 the mass of hydrogen going into a single full reaction

therefore:

6.692 e -27 = (6.647 e -27 + X) with X being the amount of mass converted to energy per reaction.

rearranging for X gives X = 4.5 e -29 kg mass converted into energy per reaction.

FIFTH so if the total mass converted to energy over 10 billion years is 1.349 e 27, and we know now that the mass being converted to energy per full reaction is 4.5 e -29 then:

1.349 e 27 / 4.5 e -27 = 2.998 e 55 total reactions in 10 billion years

so if 6.692 e -27 kg of hydrogen goes into a single reaction, and there is 2.998 e 55 total reactions then:

6.692 e -27 x 2.998 e 55 = 2.006 e 29 kg of hydrogen converted into helium and energy in 10 billion years

so now you see my problem. if sun right now has 70% hydrogen, making that total hydrogen to be 1.393 e 30 kg of hydrogen in the sun right now, then how can the hydrogen burnt over 10 billion years be only one seventh (14%) of the mass of hydrogen right now?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
helium is denser then hydrogen. maybe the reaction rate increases as the sun becomes denser.

The sun will not burn up all its hydrogen by the time it turns into a red giant. The commonly quoted lifetime for the sun, 10 billion years, is for the sun as a Main Sequence star. Even after it leaves the MS, it will still have plenty of hydrogen.

What is astrophysics?

Astrophysics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of the physical properties and behavior of celestial objects, such as stars, galaxies, and the universe as a whole.

Why is it important to calculate the mass of hydrogen converted in the sun over 10 billion years?

Calculating the mass of hydrogen converted in the sun over 10 billion years is important because it helps us understand the energy production and lifespan of stars, as well as the evolution of the universe. It also allows us to make predictions about the future of our own sun.

How is the mass of hydrogen converted in the sun over 10 billion years calculated?

The mass of hydrogen converted in the sun over 10 billion years is calculated using the famous equation E=mc², where E represents energy, m represents mass, and c represents the speed of light. By measuring the energy output of the sun and knowing the rate of energy conversion through nuclear fusion, we can determine the amount of mass that has been converted into energy.

What is the significance of the 10 billion year time frame in this calculation?

The 10 billion year time frame is significant because it represents the estimated age of the sun and the current main sequence phase of its life cycle. This time frame allows us to make accurate calculations and predictions about the mass conversion in the sun during its entire lifespan.

What other factors may affect the accuracy of this calculation?

Other factors that may affect the accuracy of this calculation include the precise measurement of the sun's energy output and the rate of hydrogen fusion, as well as any fluctuations or variations in these processes over time. Additionally, the accuracy of our current understanding of astrophysical principles and nuclear physics also plays a role in the accuracy of this calculation.