Astrophysics Problem - Protons Collision Temperature at Washington U

In summary, the question asks for the temperature needed for two protons to collide, assuming that nuclei with velocities ten times the rms value for the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution can overcome the Coulomb barrier. The suggested approach is to calculate the Coulomb potential for two protons, use it to find the velocity of a proton, and then use this velocity to calculate the rms velocity. From there, the relation between rms velocity and temperature in the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution can be used to solve for the required temperature. This approach is not guaranteed to be correct, but it does provide a possible solution to the problem.
Tloh
This is from Physics 312 Astrophysics at Washington University.

Question:

What temperature would be required for two protons to collide if quantum mechanical tunneling is neglected? Assume that nuclei having velocities ten times the root mean square (rms) value for the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution can overcome the Coulomb barrier. Compare your answer with the estimated central temperature of the Sun.

My Rational:

I am stuck because I keep running in circles with this question. It asks to provide the temperature required for two protons to collide. Alright, good so far. Then it says that nuclei having velocities 10 times the rms will colide. Aren't these two statements in a loop? ie. the temperature controls the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution and thus the rms and thus the 10rms and yet it is telling us that protons simply over the 10rms will collide. So, let's say the temperature is extremely low, the rms will be low and the 10rms will be low, but there will be a 10rms that exists... Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
The way that I read the question is this:

Find the temperature such that protons having ten times the rms velocity predicted by the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution can overcome the Coulomb potential barrier and collide.

Found this website that could help you out:

http://www.answers.com/topic/maxwell-boltzmann-distribution

The way I understand the problem is that you should write down the Coulumb potential for 2 protons, and then plug in the radius of a proton to calculate the energy required for 2 protons to come in contact. Then you can use this energy to figure out the velocity of the proton. When you have the velocity, you divide it by 10 to get the root mean squeare velocity. Then using the link above you can find the equation that relates the rms velocity to the temperature in M-B distribution. Then you just solve the equation.

Makes sense to me, but that's no guarantee it's rigth :/

Borxter said:
Found this website that could help you out:

http://www.answers.com/topic/maxwell-boltzmann-distribution

The way I understand the problem is that you should write down the Coulumb potential for 2 protons, and then plug in the radius of a proton to calculate the energy required for 2 protons to come in contact. Then you can use this energy to figure out the velocity of the proton. When you have the velocity, you divide it by 10 to get the root mean squeare velocity. Then using the link above you can find the equation that relates the rms velocity to the temperature in M-B distribution. Then you just solve the equation.

Makes sense to me, but that's no guarantee it's rigth :/

1. What is astrophysics?

Astrophysics is a branch of physics that studies the physical properties and behavior of objects and phenomena in the universe, including stars, galaxies, planets, and other celestial bodies.

2. What are protons?

Protons are subatomic particles that have a positive charge and are found in the nucleus of an atom. They are one of the fundamental building blocks of matter.

3. What is a collision temperature?

A collision temperature is the temperature at which particles collide with enough energy to cause a reaction or change in their physical state. In this case, we are looking at the temperature required for protons to collide and produce a certain effect.

4. How is the collision temperature of protons calculated at Washington University?

The collision temperature of protons at Washington University is calculated using various methods, including mathematical equations and data from experiments conducted at the university's facilities. It also takes into account factors such as the energy of the protons and the conditions under which the collision will occur.

5. Why is studying proton collisions important in astrophysics?

Studying proton collisions is important in astrophysics because it helps us understand the fundamental processes that occur in the universe. These collisions can produce high-energy particles and radiation, which can give us insights into the behavior of stars, galaxies, and other celestial bodies. They also play a crucial role in the formation of new elements and the evolution of the universe.