What causes current decay in plasma collisions?

In summary, the plasma inside a tokamak is heated by current induction, which accelerates ions and electrons in specific directions. This leads to collisions between the ions and electrons, causing them to randomize their motion. When measuring the temperature in two different states, the one with the higher temperature will be the state neglecting radiation. The rotation of ions is not considered a bulk motion and therefore does not increase the temperature. However, in a real tokamak, there are other factors to consider such as radiative effects, turbulence, and auxiliary heating.
TESL@
Hello PF,

This has been frustrating me for a while:

The plasma inside a tokamak is being heated by current induction, which accelerates the ions and electrons in specific directions, thus the velocity of ions increase. These ions collide with each other, eventually randomizing the motion. Now, if the temperature is measured in two states, which one will have the higher temperature neglecting radiation? Is the rotation of ions considered a bulk motion therefore not increasing the temperature?

Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
TESL@ said:
Now, if the temperature is measured in two states, which one will have the higher temperature neglecting radiation?

What are the two states you're wondering about?

1. Current is induced, I assume no collisions happened.
2. The current dissipated into "heat".

My problem is about the concept of heat.

I don't think I can help you, but I've moved this to the nuclear engineering forum where someone should be able to.

TESL@ said:
Hello PF,

This has been frustrating me for a while:

The plasma inside a tokamak is being heated by current induction, which accelerates the ions and electrons in specific directions, thus the velocity of ions increase. These ions collide with each other, eventually randomizing the motion. Now, if the temperature is measured in two states, which one will have the higher temperature neglecting radiation? Is the rotation of ions considered a bulk motion therefore not increasing the temperature?

Thank you.

The simple picture is this: Induction drives toroidal currents. These currents resistively decay and heat the electrons. The electrons then heat the ions via a collisional thermal relaxation process. In this simple picture electrons are hotter than the ions.

In a real tokamak the picture isn't so simple and we have to worry about radiative effects, turbulence, neoclassical effects, auxiliary heating, etc.

Likes TESL@
Thank you. So in this "simple picture", are we neglecting current decay due to ion-ion collisions? And I guess electron-ion collisions are too effective to ignore.

TESL@ said:
Thank you. So in this "simple picture", are we neglecting current decay due to ion-ion collisions? And I guess electron-ion collisions are too effective to ignore.

No. Plasma currents are the difference between ion and electron flows. Collisional processes that cause the currents to decay must involve both species. Therefore the current decay is only due to collisions between the electrons and the ions.

Electron and ion flows perpendicular to the magnetic filed give rise to electric fields that can drive current. Electron-electron and ion-ion collisions can alter the flow of the respective species. This in turn alters the electric field and alters the current evolution. This is a secondary effect that is normally pretty small. This is not an "resistive" effect and does not necessarily lead to current decay.

1. What is ion temperature in plasma?

Ion temperature in plasma is a measure of the average kinetic energy of ions in a plasma, which is a state of matter consisting of highly charged particles with both positive and negative charges. It is an important property that influences the behavior and properties of plasma.

2. How is ion temperature in plasma measured?

Ion temperature in plasma is typically measured using a diagnostic tool called a Langmuir probe. This involves inserting a small metal probe into the plasma and measuring the current flow to determine the average energy of the ions.

3. What factors can affect ion temperature in plasma?

There are several factors that can affect ion temperature in plasma, including the density of the plasma, the strength of the magnetic field, and the energy input from external sources such as heating mechanisms or collisions with other particles.

4. What are the applications of studying ion temperature in plasma?

Studying ion temperature in plasma is important for understanding and controlling processes in various fields, such as astrophysics, fusion energy, and space exploration. It can also help in developing new technologies, such as plasma-based materials processing and plasma propulsion systems.

5. How does ion temperature in plasma relate to plasma temperature?

Ion temperature in plasma is typically higher than the overall plasma temperature, as ions are typically more energetic than electrons. However, in some cases, such as in strongly magnetized plasmas, the ion temperature can be lower than the electron temperature.