At what rate must the current be to changed to produce 40V emf

  • Thread starter Thread starter mr_coffee
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Current Emf Rate
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 9K views
mr_coffee
Messages
1,613
Reaction score
1
A 20 H inductor carries a steady current of 4.0 A. At what rate must the current be changed to produce a 40 V emf in the inductor?

I odn't get this one because it gives you all the information!
The formula is:
EMF = -L di/dt
they want u to find di/dt, but they already give you it has a steady current of 4.0A, so isn't di/dt just i, which is 4.0A?
Then the EMF would be 40, and they say L = 20H, so I'm stuck on what intermediate step I'm missing! thanks
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For a steady current, at any value,

[tex]\frac {dI} {dt} = 0[/tex]
 
So basically, I can disregard that they told me it had a steady current of 4.0A right? and then just use
di/dt = EMF/-L to find the di/dt?
 
thanks that was the trick! i did that the last time, but forgot the minus sign!