Atomic % & Weight % of Phosphorous in Solid Solution

In summary, the problem provides the amount of Phosphorous atoms in a solid solution of silicon and asks for the atomic percent and weight percent of Phosphorous atoms. To solve this, one can use the density of silicon to calculate the atomic and weight percent values as temperature does not significantly affect the density of solids.
somebodyelse5

Homework Statement

Given: 5x10^21 Phosphorous atoms/m^3 in solid solution in silicon

Find: atomic percent and weight percent of Phosphorous atoms

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to solve for at. % and wt. % when given two values, I am not sure how to get the second value given the mixture is a "solid solution"

Do i have enough information to solve this?

Solid solution means that it is completely mixed, but how would that lead me to a density of silicon that I could used to solve for at.% and wt.%?

Physics news on Phys.org
phosphorous in silicon...

this sounds like semiconductor doping to me
without any other information given I would assume this is the case, therefore I would decide the density of silicon by its cell structure and lattice parameter

Or just take density from any reliable source listing densities of elements. Amount of P is low enough to not change the density substantially.

My book has nothing to do with "Doping" and my class has not covered this. My book actually, does not even cover at. % or wt. %.

So I could just look up the density of silicon in as a solid and calc from there? Temperature does not matter here? (assuming that it doesn't, since the problem does not say)

Temperature doesn't matter - much. Density of solids doesn't change significantly with temperature (doesn't mean it doesn't change at all).

thanks guys, looks like i just made this problem a bit more difficult than it had to be. I am going to use a density in g/cm^3 and convert it to atoms/m^2 and calculate at.% and wt. % from there.

1. What is the difference between atomic % and weight % of phosphorous in solid solution?

Atomic % and weight % are both ways of expressing the amount of phosphorous in a solid solution, but they represent different measurements. Atomic % is the percentage of atoms in the solid solution that are phosphorous, while weight % is the percentage of the total weight of the solid solution that is due to phosphorous. This means that atomic % takes into account the number of atoms present, while weight % takes into account the mass of each atom.

2. How are atomic % and weight % of phosphorous in solid solution calculated?

Atomic % is calculated by dividing the number of phosphorous atoms by the total number of atoms in the solid solution and multiplying by 100. Weight % is calculated by dividing the mass of phosphorous by the total mass of the solid solution and multiplying by 100. Both measurements can be determined through various analytical techniques, such as X-ray fluorescence or atomic absorption spectroscopy.

3. Why is it important to know the atomic % and weight % of phosphorous in solid solution?

Knowing the atomic % and weight % of phosphorous in a solid solution is important for understanding its composition and properties. Phosphorous is an essential element in many materials and its concentration can greatly affect the properties of a solid solution, such as its strength, corrosion resistance, and conductivity. Additionally, knowing the atomic % and weight % can help with quality control and ensuring the desired amount of phosphorous is present in the solid solution.

4. Can the atomic % and weight % of phosphorous in solid solution change?

Yes, the atomic % and weight % of phosphorous in a solid solution can change depending on various factors. For example, if the composition of the solid solution changes due to the addition or removal of other elements, the atomic % and weight % of phosphorous will also change. Additionally, if there are variations in the analytical techniques used to measure the phosphorous content, the atomic % and weight % may also differ.

5. What are the units for atomic % and weight % of phosphorous in solid solution?

The units for both atomic % and weight % of phosphorous in solid solution are percentages (%). This means that the values are expressed as a proportion of 100, representing the amount of phosphorous relative to the total number of atoms or mass in the solid solution.