1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Atomic % and weight %

1. Nov 11, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given: 5x10^21 Phosphorous atoms/m^3 in solid solution in silicon

Find: atomic percent and weight percent of Phosphorous atoms

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know how to solve for at. % and wt. % when given two values, I am not sure how to get the second value given the mixture is a "solid solution"

Do i have enough information to solve this?

Solid solution means that it is completely mixed, but how would that lead me to a density of silicon that I could used to solve for at.% and wt.%?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2011 #2

wukunlin

Gold Member

phosphorous in silicon...

this sounds like semiconductor doping to me
    without any other information given I would assume this is the case, therefore I would decide the density of silicon by its cell structure and lattice parameter

4. Nov 11, 2011 #3

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Or just take density from any reliable source listing densities of elements. Amount of P is low enough to not change the density substantially.

5. Nov 11, 2011 #4
    My book has nothing to do with "Doping" and my class has not covered this. My book actually, does not even cover at. % or wt. %.

So I could just look up the density of silicon in as a solid and calc from there? Temperature does not matter here? (assuming that it doesn't, since the problem does not say)

6. Nov 12, 2011 #5

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Temperature doesn't matter - much. Density of solids doesn't change significantly with temperature (doesn't mean it doesn't change at all).

7. Nov 12, 2011 #6
    thanks guys, looks like i just made this problem a bit more difficult than it had to be. I am going to use a density in g/cm^3 and convert it to atoms/m^2 and calculate at.% and wt. % from there.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook