Atomic Form Factor: Finding f(|G|) with λ & θ

In summary, we are trying to find the atomic form factor, f(|\vec{G}|), for a uniformly distributed -Q charge over a sphere radius R. This involves using the equation f(|\vec{G}|)=\int_0^{\infty} \rho(r) e^{i \vec{G} \cdot \vec{r}} dr, where \rho(r) = -Q \delta (r-R) and \vec{G} \cdot \vec{r} =\vec{G} \cdot r \hat{r} = |G||r| cos(\theta). The solution is f(|\vec{G}|)=-Q e^{i |G|R cos
anon134

Homework Statement

1. Let -Q charge be uniformly distributed over a sphere radius R. Find [itex]f(|\vec{G}|)[/itex], the atomic form factor.
2. Let the incident xrays have wavelength [itex]\lambda[/itex], determine the dependence of [itex]f(|\vec{G}|)[/itex] on [itex]\theta[/itex], the scattering angle.

Homework Equations

[tex]f(|\vec{G}|)=\int_0^{\infty} \rho(r) e^{i \vec{G} \cdot \vec{r}} dr [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex] \rho(r) = -Q \delta (r-R) [/tex]

[tex]\vec{G} \cdot \vec{r} =\vec{G} \cdot r \hat{r} = |G||r| cos(\theta) [/tex]

[tex]f(|\vec{G}|)=\int_0^{\infty} -Q \delta (r-R) e^{i |G|r cos(\theta)} dr [/tex]

My instinct would be just to say:

[tex]f(|\vec{G}|)=-Q e^{i |G|R cos(\theta)} [/tex]

But this leaves the term to be imaginary. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
anyone have any thoughts?

Well, your calculation is correct from what I can see. What is the problem with an complex form factor?

Torquil

1. What is an atomic form factor?

An atomic form factor is a mathematical expression that describes the scattering of X-rays or other radiation by atoms. It takes into account the size, shape, and electron density of the atom, and is used to determine the atomic structure of materials.

2. How is the atomic form factor determined?

The atomic form factor is typically determined through experiments that involve scattering X-rays off of atoms at different angles and wavelengths. The resulting data is then analyzed and fit to a mathematical model to determine the form factor.

3. What is the significance of finding f(|G|) with λ & θ?

By finding f(|G|) with λ & θ, we are able to determine the atomic form factor, which provides valuable information about the electron distribution and structure of atoms. This can help us understand the properties and behaviors of materials at the atomic level.

4. How does atomic form factor relate to diffraction patterns?

The atomic form factor is directly related to the diffraction pattern produced when X-rays or other radiation are scattered off of atoms within a material. The form factor determines the intensity of the diffraction peaks at different angles and can help identify the types and arrangements of atoms within the material.

5. Can the atomic form factor be calculated theoretically?

Yes, the atomic form factor can be calculated theoretically using quantum mechanical equations that describe the electron density and scattering behavior of atoms. However, experimental data is often used to refine and improve these theoretical calculations.