Understanding Atomic Particle 'Spin': Exploring Its Physical Meaning and Value

In summary: I don't know! I guess I'm just not that clear on how it works. Maybe someone who is more familiar will be able to answer those questions more clearly.In summary, the quantum number ##m## defines the angular momentum about a given axis, and can take the values: ##m = 0, \frac 1 2, 1, \frac 3 2, 2 \dots##. Someone decided to define it as an integer, but this does not change the measured values.
cmb
I've been looking hard (really, I have) for an explanation of what 'spin' is.

Is there any way to explain this in a physical-real way, or is it 'just a thing'?

Every description I have come across, and I mean dozens, say something like 'well, it's like angular momentum but it isn't really that it is something else. It's to do with the magnetic moment. It comes in integer or half integer values'.

OK, but what is it? Also, who decided to use half integer values? What is it a half of? Why not double up the number so 'spin' is always an integer?

Thanks. I really don't know how to access this information. Maybe it's just a characteristic with an unknown physical meaning? (That's OK, if it's the case, I just want to be clear.)

Physics news on Phys.org
cmb said:
OK, but what is it? Also, who decided to use half integer values? What is it a half of? Why not double up the number so 'spin' is always an integer?

In quantum mechanics, a measurement of angular momentum about a given axis must result in one of the following (quantised) values:

##0, \frac 1 2 \hbar, \hbar, \frac 3 2 \hbar, 2 \hbar \dots##

Someone at some stage decided it was a sensible idea to define the quantum number ##m##, where the angular momentum is ##m\hbar## and ##m## takes the values:

##m = 0, \frac 1 2, 1, \frac 3 2, 2 \dots##

You could redefine this so that ##m## is an integer, but that doesn't change the measured values.

Likes ohwilleke
cmb said:
Is there any way to explain this in a physical-real way, or is it 'just a thing'?
It's a good idea to avoid insisting that things must be "real" before you are prepared to accept them. There is no reason to expect our world to make intuitive sense because our intuition is based on our experience and that is very limited.
The nearest I think you can get to what spin is must be based on the conservation laws, which seem to apply to quantum objects as well as classical objects.

A serious problem with particle spin is the axis! Why should it be in any particular direction? Clearly the only answer to that sort of problem is that the spin is only 'there' when the particle interacts with something which actually defines an axis. (My humble view of the thing!) This is similar to the notion of a photon, which need (/can) only exist when it interacts with something. People keep trying to nail what a photon 'looks like' and there just isn't a good answer to that question.

Likes ohwilleke and PeroK
cmb said:

`What's the difference? It's something you can measure in a lab, so does that make it "physical real"? Or "just a thing".

I suspect what your question boils down to is "can I understand this with less than X hours of study?"
Well, maybe.

Last edited:
Likes ohwilleke, weirdoguy and sophiecentaur
cmb said:
dozens, say something like 'well, it's like angular momentum but it isn't really that it is something else
It is angular momentum, not just like angular momentum, it is in fact angular momentum. It has the units of angular momentum and everything.

What it is not is the angular momentum of a microscopic classical ball. There is no little rigid object spinning. It is more similar to the angular momentum of the electromagnetic field in Maxwell’s equations.

Likes ohwilleke
Vanadium 50 said:
I suspect what your question boils down to is "can I understand this with less than X hours of study?"
Well, maybe.
Yes, exactly that. Less than X minutes, preferably. More than that and it's more information than I want.

I'd like to know if there is an explanation along the lines Feynman might have given for it to a six year old.

Maybe, in fact, as mentioned it is better to understand the ways of how to measure it, and work 'backwards' so to speak. Again, the 'popular' text is not very clear on this. When searching for that detail, most papers are either at that high level 'like angular momentum, but...' or descend into something very complicated very quickly and I can't make head nor tail how they'd actually measure anything.

I believe I understand how it is that some 'spinning' electromagnetic 'thing' would precess in a magnetic field, and you could measure an emission from that precession, viz NMR. I am happy with that, but are there more direct measurements of 'spin'?

I am also interested in how come spin cannot be changed (yet the axis can be changed, which presumably means the spin has changed a little bit during the transition?), why it cannot be increased indefinitely in multiples of that spin, whether if you spin an atom about an axis which is parallel to its spin axis does its spin artificially increase, and other stuff. I can't even picture if those questions are sensible to ask because I have no physical image of it beyond a little ball spinning on its axis.

Also, how come excited isotopes can have different spin to their de-excited states, if the spin is a composition of the spins of their fundamental particles (which don't change during a de-excitation)?

Dale said:
It is angular momentum, not just like angular momentum, it is in fact angular momentum. It has the units of angular momentum and everything.

What it is not is the angular momentum of a microscopic classical ball. There is no little rigid object spinning. It is more similar to the angular momentum of the electromagnetic field in Maxwell’s equations.
OK, so, in a conventional spinning thing with angular momentum, if you turn it upside down, reversing the axis, then there is a transfer of the change of that angular moment to something else. Is this the same for nuclear spin?

cmb said:
OK, so, in a conventional spinning thing with angular momentum, if you turn it upside down, reversing the axis, then there is a transfer of the change of that angular moment to something else. Is this the same for nuclear spin?
How do you turn a field upside down?

Dale said:
How do you turn a field upside down?
I don't understand your question.

If I have an object in my hand with all the spins of the atoms lined up (by whatever means you make them line up ... that was one of my questions) and then you turn the object over, how is angular momentum conserved?

If it was a spinning top in my hand, then as I invert it there would be a mechanical torque reaction that'd nudge me, and the planet, over a little bit. Is there such a mechanical torque from atomic spin as you turn an object over? Do all the spins stay lined up and the atoms don't turn over?

Really, I don't have even a starting footing to form an idea how to conceptualise this.

cmb said:
If I have an object in my hand with all the spins of the atoms lined up
I am not sure that is possible.

However, it doesn’t change my question to you. How do you turn a field upside down?

This is not me avoiding your question, this is me getting you to think more deeply about your own question. If you are interested in quantum spin then you need to ask about quantum objects which are fields. Macroscopic objects or tops are a distraction.

So how do you turn a field upside down? Or equivalently, how do you recognize that field B is field A turned upside down?

You turn the field generator upside down.

If I have a permanent magnet in my hand, I turn it upside down, the field is inverted. That being said, I would not presume there is necessarily a field there at all, unless there is another magnetic thing between which there is a field. So as I turn the magnet upside down, I would feel the magnet tugging on the magnetic thing, and impart some mechanical force there to turn the field over. If there was no magnetic thing there at all, maybe there was no field?

If I have an atom with spin, I turn it upside down.

That's the only answer I feel I can understand right now.

cmb said:
You turn the field generator upside down.
That is a good approach. How about if the field generator is a charged ball?

cmb said:
If I have an object in my hand with all the spins of the atoms lined up (by whatever means you make them line up ... that was one of my questions) and then you turn the object over, how is angular momentum conserved?
Your body is exerting a force on the object, applying a torque which turns the object and changes its angular momentum... but by Newton’s third law there is an equal and opposite force acting you, and the resulting torque is changing your angular momentum as well. The two changes cancel so the total angular momentum of the system consisting of the ball and the your body (and the entire earth, if your feet are solidly planted on the ground) does not change.

cmb said:
I'd like to know if there is an explanation along the lines Feynman might have given for it to a six year old.

If you try to explain the angular momentum and the magnetic moment of something like an electron by modelling the electron as a spinning sphere it doesn't work. The electron has an angular momentum and a magnetic moment "as if" it were spinning and that is the reason it's called spin.

cmb said:
an explanation of what 'spin' is.
cmb said:
Just like the total mechanical energy is the sum of several parts (kinetic and potential energy), so the total angular momentum is the sum of several parts: the orbital angular momentum and the intrinsic angular momentum. The intrinsic angular momentum of a particle (called its spin) is the part that it cannot get rid of by changing its motion. (It is due to the representation theoretic properties of the group SO(3) of 3-dimensional rotations.) Thus it is a property independent of its state of motion, which makes it useful for classifying particles. For example, electrons have spin 1/2 while the Higgs particle has spin 0.

Viewed in more detail, the wave function of a spin ##k/2## particle (used to characterize its detailed quantum state) has ##k+1## components. This explains why the spin must be one of the numbers 0, 1/2, 1, 3/2, 2,... It also explains why directions matter when the spin is positive, since then these components form a vector of dimension ##>1##.
cmb said:
I have no physical image of it beyond a little ball spinning on its axis.
A classical ball spinning on its axis has zero spin (intrinsic angular momentum) since one can stop it spinning and is then left with a total angular momentum of zero.
cmb said:
how come excited isotopes can have different spin to their de-excited states, if the spin is a composition of the spins of their fundamental particles (which don't change during a de-excitation)?
Because under composition, the spins don't satisfy the rules of ordinary arithmetic but those of the representation theory of SO(3). The dimensions ##k+1## multiply because the wave function of the composition is represented in a tensor product, and then decompose additively into a sum of dimensions of irreducible representations of different spin.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes Dale
cmb said:
If I have a permanent magnet in my hand, I turn it upside down, [...] If I have an atom with spin, I turn it upside down.
Unlike the former you cannot do the latter. Atoms cannot be handled like little balls.

1. What is atomic particle spin and why is it important in physics?

Atomic particle spin is an intrinsic property of subatomic particles, such as electrons and protons, that determines their angular momentum. It is important in physics because it is a fundamental property that affects the behavior and interactions of particles, and is crucial in understanding the structure of matter and the laws of quantum mechanics.

2. How is atomic particle spin measured and quantified?

Atomic particle spin is measured using a technique called spin spectroscopy, which involves analyzing the energy levels and transitions of particles in a magnetic field. It is quantified using the spin quantum number, denoted as "s", which can have values of 1/2, 1, 3/2, etc. depending on the type of particle.

3. Can atomic particle spin change or be manipulated?

Atomic particle spin is a conserved quantity, meaning it cannot be changed or manipulated in isolation. However, it can be affected by external forces, such as magnetic fields, which can change the orientation of the spin axis.

4. How does atomic particle spin relate to the concept of spin in classical mechanics?

Atomic particle spin is a quantum mechanical phenomenon and is not directly related to the concept of spin in classical mechanics. However, the concept of angular momentum is similar in both classical and quantum mechanics, and atomic particle spin can be thought of as a type of intrinsic angular momentum.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding atomic particle spin?

Understanding atomic particle spin has many practical applications, including in the development of new technologies such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and spintronics. It also plays a crucial role in fields such as quantum computing and particle physics research.