Atoms never touch each other because of electons

• Thread starter Hepic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Atoms
In summary, atoms do not actually touch due to electrons, and pain is only felt if there are nerve connections. The marking on the hand when pressing hard is a result of pressure on the skin, not the removal of electrons. There have been previous discussions on this topic.
Hepic
Recenty I learned that there is not real touch. That atoms never touch each other because of electons. I have two question to this.

1) Why we feel the pain(I think is because of brain analysys but I am not sure)
2) Why if I press hard my hand,I will mark that?? Why this sign in my hand will be exists(I will get out the electrons from there?)

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
1-If you have no nerve connections there,you won't feel any pain.So that's only a problem with our brain.How are you marking?By paint or just pressing hard?

1. Why do atoms never touch each other?

Atoms never touch each other because they are made up of mostly empty space. The nucleus of an atom is surrounded by electrons, and there is a significant distance between the nucleus and the outermost electrons. This means that even though two atoms may come close to each other, their electrons will repel each other and prevent them from truly touching.

2. What role do electrons play in preventing atoms from touching?

Electrons have a negative charge, which causes them to repel other electrons. This repulsion is what prevents atoms from touching each other. As long as the electrons are in motion, they will continue to repel each other and keep the atoms from coming into contact.

3. Can atoms ever touch each other?

No, atoms cannot ever truly touch each other. Even in the most extreme conditions, such as high pressure or temperature, atoms will only come very close to each other but never make physical contact due to the repulsion of their electrons.

4. How does the concept of atoms not touching each other relate to the physical world?

The concept of atoms not touching each other is important in understanding the structure and behavior of matter in the physical world. It explains why objects appear solid and why they cannot pass through each other. It also plays a crucial role in fields such as chemistry and material science.

5. Is it possible for atoms to bond with each other if they never touch?

Yes, it is possible for atoms to bond with each other without ever touching. This is because chemical bonding is a result of the interaction between the electrons of different atoms. When atoms come close enough, their electrons can be shared or transferred, creating a bond between the atoms.