Is nitric oxide good or bad for the body?

• Medical
  • Thread starter fog37
  • Start date
In summary, Nitrous Oxide can inhibit an important enzyme that is part of the electron transport chain and lead to less ATP production. This can give nitrous oxide a bad rap, but there are also studies that show that nitric oxide is good for longevity and blood circulation. It is unclear if nitrous oxide is good or bad, but it is important to consider the circumstances surrounding its use.
fog37
Hello,

I am learning about cellular respiration, and ATP. I was reading how nitric oxide (NO) can inhibit an important enzyme that is part of the electron transport chain and lead to less ATP production. That seems to give a bad rap to NO. But I also read how good NO is for longevity and blood circulation...

Does anyone have some clarifications to offer on this topic? Is NO good or bad? It seems bad if it affects ATP production. I am confused.

Thank you!

Biology news on Phys.org
It would help to give you a better answer if you let us know where you got the information you cited.

1. I can say is that there have been studies (random controlled trials) on several different aspects of Nitrous Oxide use in medical and dental procedures.
Try this google search: random controlled trial on nitrous oxide
There is one trial now on for treatment of cardiovascular disease which has really positive results.

2. There is no perfect good or bad answer to a lot of medical questions. Why? Because circumstances surrounding a proposed treatment make some options completely unacceptable, like patient allergies/reactions to medications and anesthetics. I think that is what you are seeing.

3. Unless the study is of very high quality (usually an RCT (Random Controlled Trial)) you really cannot derive anything more than a good maybe about the conclusions. Sometimes the lower quality study is all we have. That can leave the reader in exactly the quandary you seem to have.

Last edited:
jim mcnamara said:
I can say is that there have been studies (random controlled trials) on several different aspects of Nitrous Oxide use in medical and dental procedures.

You seem to be confusing nitric oxide (NO), an important biological signaling molecule, with nitrous oxide (N2O), an anesthetic.

Yes, I did mix things. Thank you. I did not get what what NO was supposed to be obviously.

fog37 said:
Does anyone have some clarifications to offer on this topic? Is NO good or bad? It seems bad if it affects ATP production. I am confused.

As with most things in a complex living system its about balance and WHERE in the body they appear.. And as with most drugs, they are good in some cases in the right dose, while they can be toxic during other conditions. So one can say that NO is categoritcally good or bad, this is the wrong question.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biological_functions_of_nitric_oxide

NO is a known potent vasodilator, and exist both naturally in the body (autoregulation from mechanoreceptors produce NO locally), and its also released from nitroglycerin which is a potent vasodilator drug typically used with ischemia. So nitroglycerin may be "good" if you have an ischemic attack, but not otherwise!

There also seems to be toxic effects, but they are dose dependent.
The Toxicology of Inhaled Nitric Oxide
https://academic.oup.com/toxsci/article/59/1/5/1658774

/Fredrik

Likes BillTre

1. What is ATP and Nitric Oxide (NO)?

ATP (adenosine triphosphate) is a molecule that serves as the primary energy source for cellular processes. Nitric Oxide (NO) is a gas produced by the body that plays a crucial role in various physiological functions, including regulating blood flow and immune response.

2. How are ATP and NO related?

ATP and NO are both important molecules involved in cellular signaling and metabolism. ATP is necessary for the production of NO, which in turn helps regulate the release of ATP. Additionally, NO can stimulate the production of ATP in cells.

3. What are the functions of ATP and NO?

ATP is primarily responsible for providing energy for cellular processes, such as muscle contraction, nerve impulses, and biochemical reactions. NO plays a role in vasodilation, neurotransmission, and immune response.

4. How are ATP and NO levels regulated in the body?

The levels of ATP and NO are tightly regulated in the body. ATP is constantly produced through cellular respiration and broken down by enzymes. NO is produced by specific enzymes and can be broken down by other enzymes or react with other molecules in the body.

5. What are the potential health implications of ATP and NO dysregulation?

Dysregulation of ATP and NO levels can lead to various health issues. For example, low levels of ATP can result in fatigue and muscle weakness, while high levels of NO can contribute to inflammation and oxidative stress. Imbalances in ATP and NO levels have also been linked to conditions such as heart disease, diabetes, and neurological disorders.