Attaching a LED to the comp power supply

In summary, my LEDs didn't work, and my computer kept on rebooting. I think I might have connected them incorrectly the first time I did it. I also need to be careful with my wiring because something might be touching something else and causing a short.
chaoseverlasting
I bought three LEDs, three 1k ohm resistors, and some wire. When I bought the LEDs, I made the person show me that they worked. He connected the negative end of the LED to the yellow wire, and the positive part to the resistor, which he then connected to the black wire. The LED lit up.

As far as I know, the yellow wire is the 12v wire, and the black is the ground wire.

At home, I spliced the wire into three wires, and connected the three diodes in parallel in the same manner. The diodes didnt work though. Also, my comp refused to start up (kept on getting rebooted again and again).

What could I have done wrong? I don't even know if the diodes work anymore. I may have connected them incorrectly once, cause nothing happened the first time I did do it the right way. I don't have a lot of equipment to test the diodes (almost none in fact). Could I test them in some way?

Engineering news on Phys.org
At home, I spliced the wire into three wires, and connected the three diodes in parallel in the same manner. The diodes didnt work though. Also, my comp refused to start up (kept on getting rebooted again and again).

I may be misinterpreting you on this part about the three wire thing. Could you post a small schematic on how you hooked up the LEDs? Did you use the black wire in your circuit? Also include resistor values, VF, and IF for the LEDs.

http://www.overclockersclub.com/guides/powersupplyledmod.php

Last edited:
I connected one end of the wire to the yellow wire from the PSU and split the other end into three parts. Each of these parts I connected to the negative terminal of the LED.

I then connected another wire to the black wire coming from the PSU and again split the other end into three parts. These parts I connected to 1 kilo ohm resistor each. Then, I connected the resistors to the positive terminal of the LED.

I think the LED voltage is about 3 volts and that's why I used a 1k ohm resistor to step down the voltage.

I bought three LEDs, three 1k ohm resistors, and some wire. When I bought the LEDs, I made the person show me that they worked. He connected the negative end of the LED to the yellow wire, and the positive part to the resistor, which he then connected to the black wire. The LED lit up.
Are you sure it isn't positive to yellow (12V) and negative to ground (black) ?

I connected one end of the wire to the yellow wire from the PSU and split the other end into three parts. Each of these parts I connected to the negative terminal of the LED.

I then connected another wire to the black wire coming from the PSU and again split the other end into three parts. These parts I connected to 1 kilo ohm resistor each. Then, I connected the resistors to the positive terminal of the LED.
I get a picture that you're making three individual LED circuits here (yellow wire -> negative LED terminal -> positive LED terminal -> 1K resistor -> black wire) ?
You're reverse biasing the LED here. In other words, it won't work. It should have been something like this [yellow wire -> positive LED terminal -> negative LED terminal -> 1K resistor -> black wire]
I think the LED voltage is about 3 volts and that's why I used a 1k ohm resistor to step down the voltage.
You're using the 1K to control the amount of current that flows through the LED (current limiting resistor).

Last edited:
If your computer keeps rebooting, it probably means you'll pulling too much current from the power supply, and it's switching off to protect itself. Reverse-biasing your diodes will do nothing at all -- the diodes will conduct essentially zero current, won't light up, and won't affect the power supply at all.

If they're connected properly (forward-biased), the three diodes will consume something on the order of 30 milliamps of current, which again won't affect the power supply.

In short, the "symptoms" you're witnessing, like the computer restarting, will not happen no matter how you've wired the diodes.

From the sound of it, you've somehow formed a short that has connected the yellow (12V) supply to ground. You might want to be very careful with your wiring to make sure nothing's touching anything else. I give money that you've got some wires twisted together, and these wires are touching the case. Since the case is grounded, you are shorting the power supply through the case.

- Warren

chroot said:
I give money that you've got some wires twisted together, and these wires are touching the case. Since the case is grounded, you are shorting the power supply through the case.

- Warren

Oh man. I never thought of that. Thank you. I'll try that.

1. How do I attach a LED to my computer's power supply?

To attach a LED to your computer's power supply, you will need to locate a 12V source on your power supply. This can usually be found on the 24-pin motherboard connector. You will then need to solder the positive lead of the LED to the 12V source and the negative lead to a ground source. It is important to use the correct type of LED and to take proper precautions when working with electronics.

2. Can I use any type of LED for this project?

No, you cannot use any type of LED for this project. It is important to use an LED that can handle the voltage and amperage of your power supply. The LED should also have the appropriate resistance to prevent it from burning out. It is recommended to use a specialized computer LED or to consult with an electronics expert before proceeding.

3. Is it safe to attach a LED to my computer's power supply?

If done correctly, it is generally safe to attach a LED to your computer's power supply. However, it is important to take proper precautions when working with electronics, such as wearing protective gear and being aware of potential hazards. If you are unsure about the process, it is best to consult with an expert or seek out a tutorial before attempting it yourself.

4. Will attaching a LED to my computer's power supply affect its performance?

Attaching a LED to your computer's power supply should not affect its performance as long as it is done correctly and with the appropriate components. However, it is always a good idea to monitor your computer's performance after making any changes to ensure that everything is functioning properly.

5. Can I remove the LED if I no longer want it attached to my computer's power supply?

Yes, you can remove the LED if you no longer want it attached to your computer's power supply. This can be done by desoldering the LED from the power supply or by cutting the wires and removing them. It is important to ensure that your power supply is turned off and unplugged before attempting to remove the LED.