Atwood's machine with 3 masses

• Thread starter AHinkle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Machine
In summary, the conversation discusses the tension on a string between two masses suspended on a pulley system. The conversation provides equations and diagrams to determine the correct tension, but initially overlooks the weight of one of the masses in an equation. After correcting this oversight and solving for the tension, the correct solution is found.
AHinkle

Homework Statement

A pulley is massless and frictionless, 2kg, 3kg, and 6kg masses are suspended. The 2 and 3 kilogram masses are suspended on the left side of the pulley (the 2 kilogram mass on the bottom) and are connected by a cord of negligible mass that does not stretch(T1), the 6kg mass is suspended on the right side and is connected around the pulley via a cord of negligible mass that does not stretch (T2). Down is the positive direction on the right side, up is positive on the left. what is the tension on the string between mass 1 and mass 2.

Homework Equations

Fnet=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

Sorry there's not a picture. I did not have anywhere to host it.

I drew free body diagrams for each mass and came up with the Fnet equations for each. I assume we're only working with y accelerations.
m3g-T2=m3a
T2-T1=m2a
T1-m1g=m1a

I added the equations together for m2 and m3 because they're connected by a cord and
the acceleration for the whole system should be the same.

m3g-T2+T2-T1=(m2+m3)a
m3g-T1=(m2+m3)a

m3=6kg m2=3kg g=9.8

(6kg)(9.8m/s^2)-T1 = 9a

i solved for a

T1-m1g=m1a

a = (T1-m1g)/(m1)

58.8-T1=9((T1-m1g)/(m1))

58.8-T1=9((T1-(2)(9.8))/(2))

58.8-T1=(9T1-176.4)/(2)

117.6-2(T1)=9(T1)-176.4

294-2(T1)=9(T1)

11(T1) = 294

T1 = 26.7272 N

I felt like i did this right, and it's tormenting me..

Physics news on Phys.org
In your second equation T2 -T1 = m2a, you forgot to include the weight, m2g, in that equation.

AHinkle said:
T2-T1=m2a

This equation i wrong. Gravity acts on all masses!

ehild

Thanks guys, I got it right. That small oversight cost me an hour at least.

m3g-T2 = m3a
T2-T1-m2g=m2a
T1-m1g=m1a

m3g-T1-m2g=(m2+m3)a

a=(T1-m1g)/(m1)

(6)(9.8)-T1-(3)(9.8)=9a
58.8-T1-29.4=9a
29.4-T1=9a

sub in a
29.4-T1=9((T1-m1g)/(m1))

29.4-T1=((9)(T1)-(18)g)/2
58.8-2(T1)=9(T1)-176.4

-(2)(T1)=(9)(T1)-235.2
-(11)(T1)=-235.2
T1= (-235.2)/(-11)

T1= 21.3818 N

It is an easier job if you add up all equations. That cancels all inner forces (tensions here) and you get the acceleration as the total external force divided by the total mass. Knowing the acceleration, it is easy to find the tensions.

ehild

1. What is an Atwood's machine with 3 masses?

An Atwood's machine with 3 masses is a mechanical device used to demonstrate the principles of Newton's laws of motion and conservation of energy. It consists of three masses, typically hanging from a pulley system, and is used to study the effects of varying mass and force on the acceleration of the system.

2. How does an Atwood's machine with 3 masses work?

An Atwood's machine with 3 masses works by utilizing the force of gravity to create a tension in the string or rope that connects the masses. This tension causes the masses to accelerate, with the heavier mass moving downwards and the lighter mass moving upwards. The acceleration of the system can be calculated using the masses and the force of gravity.

3. What are the factors that affect the acceleration of an Atwood's machine with 3 masses?

The acceleration of an Atwood's machine with 3 masses is affected by the difference in mass between the two hanging masses, the force of gravity, and the friction in the pulley system. The acceleration can also be affected by external factors such as air resistance or the type of string or rope used.

4. How is the acceleration of an Atwood's machine with 3 masses calculated?

The acceleration of an Atwood's machine with 3 masses can be calculated using the formula: a = (m1 - m2)g / (m1 + m2 + m3), where m1 and m2 are the masses of the two hanging masses, m3 is the mass of the pulley, and g is the force of gravity.

5. What are some real-world applications of an Atwood's machine with 3 masses?

An Atwood's machine with 3 masses is commonly used in physics classrooms to demonstrate concepts such as acceleration, force, and energy. It can also be used in engineering to test the strength and durability of materials, and in the design of elevators and other lifting systems. Additionally, the principles of Atwood's machine can be applied in the study of pulley systems and mechanical advantage in various industries.