Automatic detection using wireless sensors

In summary, the conversation discusses designs for a system that can automatically detect when a person is inside their office. The suggested methods include using a pressure sensor on the office chair, an RFID tag in their ID badge, a motion sensor at the door, or an IP camera with face recognition software. There is also a mention of using a strip switch on the chair or tethering the person to the desk. The conversation ends with a humorous mention of the need for uninterrupted spaces in the workplace.
Mpume
I am designing a system that must automatically detect if a person is inside their office. The trick here now is that there are people going in and out and i just want to detect the owner of the office. Tracking them is useless since the average office sizes are not big, 5m width maximum so my next best bet is to have pressure sensor on the chair.

Please help coz I've never used these before and it seems like there are so many variations.

Thanx :-)

Engineering news on Phys.org
How about an RFID tag in their ID badge (asuuming they have ID badges)? It seems strange that the lights would only turn on for the "owner" of the office however, it should really turn on any time someone walks in (in which case you can use a simple motion sensor).

Mpume said:
I am designing a system that must automatically detect if a person is inside their office. The trick here now is that there are people going in and out and i just want to detect the owner of the office. Tracking them is useless since the average office sizes are not big, 5m width maximum so my next best bet is to have pressure sensor on the chair.

Please help coz I've never used these before and it seems like there are so many variations.

Thanx :-)

What is the application? You could just use the existing systems for monitoring inmates who are on house arrest...

@ Mech Engineer, the RFID is a good idea but they don't have them:-( . I wanted it to detect when people are in their office, then have a display unit eg:7-seg saying that they are available. Hence detect when they are not present, which is why I thought of using the chair since everyone sits on the chair in the office. If i use the tags, how will I know that they have left because the door can be closed from the inside, I need to be able to detect that as well.
@berkemen I not familiar with the systems for inmates, how does that work?

Mpume said:
@berkemen I not familiar with the systems for inmates, how does that work?

See "Ankle Monitor" here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_arrest

Honestly, why don't you just put a switch at the door of each office, and have folks flip it ON when they are in their office?

The thing is it must be automatic, I know its crazy but it must be done. I was thinking of using IR reflective sensors on the chair, does anyone know that exactly works? I've been researching but i haven't found anything constructive yet...

Mpume said:
The thing is it must be automatic, I know its crazy but it must be done. I was thinking of using IR reflective sensors on the chair, does anyone know that exactly works? I've been researching but i haven't found anything constructive yet...

I think you said it has to differentiate between the "owner" of the office versus others. IR sensors aren't going to do that. RFID at the door may be able to work, but it would have to be able to detect motion in versus out too...

IP camera with face recognition software.

Hmmm, often, when I'm in my office, that's the only time I can be unavailable...

P.S. Berkeman, I love the reference to ankle monitor. Continual interrupts by emails, and texts have been damaging enough. My last work place was inundated with ADD managers - incapable of resolving / remembering simple chains of thought.

If anything, I think it's time for uninterrupted spaces.

- Mike

over thinking it guys

a strip switch in the chair that makes connection when they are sitting in the chair
similar to what is in the passenger side of early cars to detect seatbelt usage
that, or just teather them directly to the desk... ankle locks to the floor
(in 2001 HALS VOICE..." why no fred, you CAN NOT leave early")

dr

What is automatic detection using wireless sensors?

Automatic detection using wireless sensors is a method of detecting and monitoring various environmental parameters, such as temperature, humidity, and motion, using wireless sensor devices. These devices use wireless communication technology to send data to a central system for analysis and monitoring.

What are the benefits of using wireless sensors for automatic detection?

There are several benefits to using wireless sensors for automatic detection. These include cost-effectiveness, convenience, scalability, and the ability to collect data in real-time. Wireless sensors also eliminate the need for physical wiring, making them more flexible and easier to install in different environments.

What types of applications can benefit from automatic detection using wireless sensors?

Automatic detection using wireless sensors has a wide range of applications, including building automation, environmental monitoring, industrial process control, smart agriculture, and healthcare. These sensors can be used to detect and monitor conditions in various settings, providing valuable data for decision-making and optimization.

What are the main challenges of using wireless sensors for automatic detection?

One of the main challenges of using wireless sensors for automatic detection is ensuring reliable communication between the sensors and the central system. Interference from other wireless devices and obstacles in the environment can affect the quality of the data received. Power management is also a challenge, as the sensors need to be powered for extended periods without human intervention.

How can the accuracy of automatic detection using wireless sensors be ensured?

To ensure the accuracy of automatic detection using wireless sensors, regular calibration and maintenance of the sensors are necessary. The sensors should also be placed strategically to minimize interference and provide accurate readings. Additionally, the data received from the sensors should be validated and cross-checked with other sources to ensure accuracy.