Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Automatic detection using wireless sensors

1. Feb 25, 2010 #1
    I am designing a system that must automatically detect if a person is inside their office. The trick here now is that there are people going in and out and i just want to detect the owner of the office. Tracking them is useless since the average office sizes are not big, 5m width maximum so my next best bet is to have pressure sensor on the chair.

Please help coz ive never used these before and it seems like there are so many variations.

Thanx :-)

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2010 #2

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How about an RFID tag in their ID badge (asuuming they have ID badges)? It seems strange that the lights would only turn on for the "owner" of the office however, it should really turn on any time someone walks in (in which case you can use a simple motion sensor).

4. Feb 25, 2010 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

What is the application? You could just use the existing systems for monitoring inmates who are on house arrest....

5. Feb 26, 2010 #4
    @ Mech Engineer, the RFID is a good idea but they dont have them:-( . I wanted it to detect when people are in their office, then have a display unit eg:7-seg saying that they are available. Hence detect when they are not present, which is why I thought of using the chair since everyone sits on the chair in the office. If i use the tags, how will I know that they have left because the door can be closed from the inside, I need to be able to detect that as well.
    @berkemen I not familiar with the systems for inmates, how does that work?

6. Feb 26, 2010 #5

berkeman

See "Ankle Monitor" here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_arrest

Honestly, why don't you just put a switch at the door of each office, and have folks flip it ON when they are in their office?

7. Mar 8, 2010 #6
    The thing is it must be automatic, I know its crazy but it must be done. I was thinking of using IR reflective sensors on the chair, does anyone know that exactly works? Ive been researching but i havent found anything constructive yet...

8. Mar 8, 2010 #7

berkeman

I think you said it has to differentiate between the "owner" of the office versus others. IR sensors aren't going to do that. RFID at the door may be able to work, but it would have to be able to detect motion in versus out too...

9. Mar 8, 2010 #8
    IP camera with face recognition software.

10. Mar 16, 2010 #9
    Hmmm, often, when I'm in my office, that's the only time I can be unavailable....

P.S. Berkeman, I love the reference to ankle monitor. Continual interrupts by emails, and texts have been damaging enough. My last work place was inundated with ADD managers - incapable of resolving / remembering simple chains of thought.

If anything, I think it's time for uninterrupted spaces.

- Mike

11. Mar 18, 2010 #10
    over thinking it guys

a strip switch in the chair that makes connection when they are sitting in the chair
    similar to what is in the passenger side of early cars to detect seatbelt usage
    that, or just teather them directly to the desk... ankle locks to the floor
    (in 2001 HALS VOICE....." why no fred, you CAN NOT leave early")

dr

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook