Automorphisms are isomorphisms

• Thread starter Dustinsfl
  • Start date
In summary, if \sigma\in Aut(G) and \varphi_g is conjugation by g, then \sigma\varphi_g\sigma^{-1}=\varphi_{\sigma(g)}. This can be deduced from the fact that Inn(G) is a normal subgroup of Aut(G) and that automorphisms preserve the group multiplication operation.
Dustinsfl
If [itex]\sigma\in Aut(G)[/itex] and [itex]\varphi_g[/itex] is conjugation by g prove [itex]\sigma\varphi_g\sigma^{-1}=\varphi_{\sigma(g)}[/itex]. Deduce [itex]Inn(G)\trianglelefteq Aut(G)[/itex]

Let [itex]x\in G[/itex].

[tex]\sigma\varphi_g\sigma^{-1}(x)=\sigma(g\sigma^{-1}(x)g^{-1})=\sigma(g)x\sigma(g)^{-1}[/tex]

Why is this:
[tex]\sigma(g\sigma^{-1}(x)g)=\sigma(g)x\sigma(g)^{-1}[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Dustinsfl said:
If [itex]\sigma\in Aut(G)[/itex] and [itex]\varphi_g[/itex] is conjugation by g prove [itex]\sigma\varphi_g\sigma^{-1}=\varphi_{\sigma(g)}[/itex]. Deduce [itex]Inn(G)\trianglelefteq Aut(G)[/itex]
You should include more information when you ask questions like this. Perhaps I suck more than most at abstract algebra terminology, but I have no idea what Inn and trianglelefteq means, and I'm not sure "conjugation" means what I'm guessing it means either.

Dustinsfl said:
Let [itex]x\in G[/itex].

[tex]\sigma\varphi_g\sigma^{-1}(x)=\sigma(g\sigma^{-1}(x)g)=\sigma(g)x\sigma(g)^{-1}[/tex]
OK, it looks like my guess about "conjugation" was right. You meant [itex]\varphi_g(h)=ghg^{-1}[/itex], right? (You missed a ^{-1}).

Dustinsfl said:
Why is this:
[tex]\sigma(g\sigma^{-1}(x)g)=\sigma(g)x\sigma(g)^{-1}[/tex]
Because Aut(G) is the group of automorphisms on G. Automorphisms are permutations that preserve the group multiplication operation.

Fredrik said:
You should include more information when you ask questions like this. Perhaps I suck more than most at abstract algebra terminology, but I have no idea what Inn and trianglelefteq means, and I'm not sure "conjugation" means what I'm guessing it means either. OK, it looks like my guess about "conjugation" was right. You meant [itex]\varphi_g(h)=ghg^{-1}[/itex], right? (You missed a ^{-1}).Because Aut(G) is the group of automorphisms on G. Automorphisms are permutations that preserve the group multiplication operation.

Inn is inner automorphism. Correct on conjugation.
trianglelefteq is a normal subgroup.

I still don't see how that is equal.

I assume that you know that automorphisms are isomorphisms, that isomorphisms are homomorphisms, and that every homomorphism f satisfies f(xy)=f(x)f(y) for all x,y in the group? So what is f(xyz)?

What you actually need to evaluate is of the form f(xyz-1), but it's easy to prove that f(x-1)=f(x)-1 for all x in the group.

1. What are automorphisms and isomorphisms?

Automorphisms and isomorphisms are both mathematical concepts used to describe the relationship between two structures. An automorphism is a function that maps a structure onto itself, preserving all of its properties. An isomorphism is a one-to-one correspondence between two structures that preserves their operations and relations.

2. How are automorphisms and isomorphisms related?

Automorphisms and isomorphisms are closely related in that an automorphism is a special type of isomorphism. Specifically, an automorphism is an isomorphism between a structure and itself.

3. What is the significance of automorphisms being isomorphisms?

The fact that automorphisms are isomorphisms is significant because it means that the structure being mapped onto itself is essentially unchanged. This is useful in many areas of mathematics, as it allows for the study of symmetries and invariances.

4. Can all automorphisms be considered isomorphisms?

No, not all automorphisms can be considered isomorphisms. An automorphism must be a bijective function, meaning it has to be both one-to-one and onto, in order to be considered an isomorphism. If an automorphism is not bijective, it is not an isomorphism.

5. How are automorphisms and isomorphisms used in real-world applications?

Automorphisms and isomorphisms have numerous real-world applications, particularly in the fields of physics, chemistry, and computer science. In physics, they are used to study the symmetries and invariances of physical systems. In chemistry, they are used to study molecular structures and their transformations. In computer science, they are used for data encryption and error correction algorithms.