Average back emf induced in coil

In summary: I'm sorry, I don't understand what you're asking.The other thread ended with a discussion of how to approach the problem. The final result was not given. You seem to have copied an error-filled portion of the thread without fully understanding what you were copying. You can't expect to get good results that way.I'm asking for your understanding of why the problem can be approached the way you're trying to do it. What is the physical justification for the approach? How does it differ from the approach that was discussed in the other thread?I'm also asking you to check your work for accuracy, which is something you should always do. For instance, is the period of a 20kHz signal the
lloyd21

Homework Statement

The coil in a loudspeaker has an inductance of L = 56uH (or 5.6 x 10^-5 H). To produce a sound frequency of 20 kHz, the current must oscillate between peak values of +2.2 A and -2.2 A in one half of a period. What average back emf is induced in the coil during this variation? How does this compare to the applied emf of 18V?

Homework Equations

T = 1/f

emf = L(ΔI/Δt)

L = N(ΔΦB/Δl)

The Attempt at a Solution

back emf = (5.6 x 10^-5)[+2.2 - (-2.2)/Δt]

My problem here is I do not know where I can obtain Δt. I am assuming that it has something to do with the frequency of 20kHz in one half period (1/2T).

T = 1/f --> 1/2T = 1/f --> 2/f -- > T = 2/20000 = 1.0 x 10^-4 secs

If this is the case then, by subbing, Δt = 1.0 x 10^-4 secs, into the above equation, I get:

back emf = (5.6 x 10^-5)[+2.2 - (-2.2)/1.0 x 10^-4 secs]
= (5.6 x 10^-5)[4.4/1.0 x 10^-4 secs]
= (5.6 x 10^-5)(44000)
= 2.464 V

Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
This was an answer added on later to this question in a different thread- -

Okay, so if I am considering a whole period than my currents are actually +4.4 and - 4.4. Additionally, my period is actually just T = 1/f = 1/20000 = 5.0 x 10^-5.

back emf = (5.6 x 10^-5)[+4.4 - (-4.4)/5.0 x 10^-5 secs]
= (5.6 x 10^-5)[8.8/5.0 x 10^-5 secs]
= (5.6 x 10^-5)(176000)
= 9.856 V

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is the exact question I have, however I approached it differently, and this is what I got:

n = 2(pie)fL = 2(pie)(20x10^3Hz)(5.6x10^-6H) = 7.04 (ohms)

Then Irms = I/sqrt(2) = 2.2 A / sqrt(2) = 1.56 A

Then Vrms = Irms x n = 1.56A x 7.04 (ohms) = 21.9V

lloyd21 said:
This thread is the exact question I have, however I approached it differently, and this is what I got:

n = 2(pie)fL = 2(pie)(20x10^3Hz)(5.6x10^-6H) = 7.04 (ohms)

Then Irms = I/sqrt(2) = 2.2 A / sqrt(2) = 1.56 A

Then Vrms = Irms x n = 1.56A x 7.04 (ohms) = 21.9V
It's a valid approach, but you'll need to apply some thought to how to interpret the results in light of the specific time period defined by the problem, and make sure that your result is an average value not an rms value.

Your Vrms value calculation result is double what it should be. Check your calculation.

Note that you don't need to convert to rms values for the calculation. It's fine to use peak values and get a peak result. Then you can translate the peak voltage to an average voltage for the given half-cycle.

So the first approach is much more accurate ?
= (5.6 x 10^-5)(176000)
= 9.856 V

lloyd21 said:
So the first approach is much more accurate ?
= (5.6 x 10^-5)(176000)
= 9.856 V
It's not more accurate. It's just another approach. There should be some justification as to why the overall change in current for the half-cycle leads to an average back-emf over the half-cycle: It's the equivalent of assuming a straight-line (ramp) shape for the current waveform, rather than a sinusoid. So a constant dI/dt over the period and thus a constant back-emf. Why should that work?

Regarding your calculations, why have you taken the time period to be a full cycle, and why have you doubled the current values?

As you've written it you have a final current of +4.4A and an initial current of -4.4A. Shouldn't that be an initial current of +2.2A and a final current of -2.2A? And the period of the half-cycle should be 2.5 x 10-5 s, right?

Your reactance approach is interesting because it assumes a sinusoidal signal, and there's a simple relationship between the peak value and the average value for a half cycle of a sine curve. So no special justifications are involved.

sorry the initial attempt was

If this is the case then, by subbing, Δt = 1.0 x 10^-4 secs, into the above equation, I get:

= (5.6 x 10^-5)(44000)
= 2.464 V

lloyd21 said:
sorry the initial attempt was

= (5.6 x 10^-5)(44000)
= 2.464 V

You've incorporated the calculation error from the original thread again. The period of one cycle at 20kHz is 5 x 10-5 seconds. Half of that is 1/(2f) = 2.5 x 10-5 s.

And you still haven't processed the fact that the current is specified to be decreasing over time for the half-cycle described, so ##ΔI## should be negative.

If you're going to copy another's work, at least check it for accuracy o_O Are you just looking for someone to verify a result you can copy?

I just don't know what to do after that thread ended. If its wrong completely or if it was solved and that's why no one else responded haha. I've been stuck on that and another question for about a week and a half!

lloyd21 said:
I just don't know what to do after that thread ended. If its wrong completely or if it was solved and that's why no one else responded haha. I've been stuck on that and another question for about a week and a half!
You could work to a solution of the problem yourself here. But you should show your own work, not someone else's work, particularly if you're not understanding it sufficiently to avoid copying their errors. Copying something without understanding it won't help you in the long run.

Make a clean start and pick an approach. I have a feeling that the problem author intended a straight application of ##E = L \frac{ΔI}{ΔT}##, where you were to determine the time interval and change in current for that particular interval. A more complex version of this might use calculus to find the actual dI/dt, and average that over the time interval.

But your reactance approach is, in my opinion, very clever and avoids much of the hand-waving you'd have to do to justify the first approach (waveform shape). The only tricky bit involves determining the average value of a half-cycle of a sinewave from its peak value. But that's a very simple bit of calculus, and as a standard result could be simply quoted from a table.

Anyways, pick a method and present your own calculations. Helpers will be able to help you with your efforts.

What is back emf?

Back emf, or back electromotive force, is a phenomenon that occurs in an electric circuit when there is a change in the magnetic field that can cause a voltage to be induced in the opposite direction of the applied voltage.

How is back emf induced in a coil?

Back emf is induced in a coil when there is a change in the magnetic field that passes through the coil. This can happen when the current flowing through the coil changes, or when the coil moves through a magnetic field.

What is the average back emf induced in a coil?

The average back emf induced in a coil depends on the rate at which the magnetic field changes and the number of turns in the coil. It can be calculated using the equation: average back emf = -NΔφ/Δt, where N is the number of turns and Δφ/Δt is the change in magnetic flux over time.

How does back emf affect the performance of a motor?

Back emf plays a crucial role in the operation of a motor. When a motor is running, the back emf opposes the applied voltage, which helps to regulate the current flow and prevent damage to the motor. It also helps in controlling the speed and torque of the motor.

What are some applications of back emf?

Back emf is used in many applications, including electric motors, generators, transformers, and inductors. It is also used in electronic circuits to regulate voltage and prevent damage to components. Additionally, the concept of back emf is essential in understanding electromagnetic induction and the operation of many electrical devices.