How Do You Calculate the Average Number of Photons in a Cavity at Temperature T?

In summary, at temperature T, the mean number of photons in a cavity is given by ## N = \frac{gV}{h^3}\int \frac{1}{e^{(E-\mu)/kT}-1}dp^3 ##, with ## k_x L_x =n_x (2 \pi) ## and similarly for y and z.
Silviu

Homework Statement

Calculate the mean number of photons in a cavity at temperature T and the mean energy per photon.

Homework Equations

In the large volume limit, the log of grand canonical partition function is: ##log(Z_g) = \frac{gV}{h^3}\int log(1-e^{(E-\mu)/kT})dp^3 ##, with g - spin degeneracy, E energy, p - momentum and ##\mu## - chemical potential.

Also the average number of particles is given by ##N = \lambda \frac{\partial log(Z_g)}{\partial \lambda}|_{T,V}##, with ##\lambda = e^{\mu/kT}##

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I calculated N using the above formula and I obtained: ##N = \frac{gV}{h^3}\int \frac{1}{e^{(E-\mu)/kT}-1}dp^3##. This is for a normal Bose-Einstein gas. Now for a photon I take ##\mu = 0## and ##E=h\nu## and I plug in in this equation. Is this correct? If not, how should I proceed?

Physics news on Phys.org
When you use the Bose function for the mean occupancy off a state is ## \frac{1}{e^{\frac{hc}{\lambda k T}}-1} ## the chemical potential ## \mu ## is set to zero for reasons that I'm not entirely sure. ## \\ ## Anyway, the photon mode counting can proceed in a couple of ways, but I like to use a method that F. Reif uses: ## e^{ik_xx}=e^{ik_x (x+L_x)} ##. This means ## k_x L_x =n_x (2 \pi) ## and similarly for y and z. This means the number of photon modes is ## \Delta N=\Delta^3 n=V \frac{\Delta^3 k}{(2 \pi)^3} ##. Then ## \Delta^3 k=4 \pi k^2 \, dk ## and ## k=\frac{2 \pi}{\lambda} ##. There is also a factor of 2 for photon polarization. You can write the expression entirely in terms of a spectral density ## f(\lambda) d \lambda ##. (We counted photon modes. Don't forget to include the Bose factor for mean occupancy of the state(mode).) ## \\ ## You then integrate over ## d \lambda ## from ## 0 ## to ## +\infty ## to get the mean number of photons in the volume ## V ## at temperature ## T ##. ## \\ ## Editing: Question is, is your integral identical to this, with polarization factor ## g=2 ##, and I believe the answer is yes. You can use ## E_p=\frac{hc}{\lambda} ## and work entirely with wavelength. A google of the subject shows the integral that you have can be evaluated in closed form, but it is a somewhat difficult one. The answer they give is ## I=16 \pi \zeta(3) (\frac{kT}{hc})^3 ##, where ## \zeta ## is the Riemann zeta function. ## \zeta(3)=1.202 ## (approximately).

Last edited:

What is the definition of "average number of photons"?

The average number of photons refers to the average number of individual particles of light that are emitted or absorbed by a system.

How is the average number of photons calculated?

The average number of photons is calculated by dividing the total energy of the system by the energy of a single photon, also known as the Planck constant.

What factors can affect the average number of photons in a system?

The average number of photons can be affected by the temperature of the system, the type of material the photons are traveling through, and the energy level of the system.

Why is the average number of photons important in scientific research?

The average number of photons is important in scientific research because it can provide insight into the behavior and properties of light, which is a fundamental aspect of many natural phenomena.

How does the average number of photons relate to the intensity of light?

The average number of photons is directly proportional to the intensity of light. As the average number of photons increases, the intensity of light also increases.