Calculating Average Speed from Lap 1 & 2

In summary, the average speed for two laps with the first lap completed at 135mph and the second lap completed at 90mph is 112.5mph. This can be calculated by using the equation vave = 2L / (t1 + t2), where L is the distance of one lap, t1 is the time to complete the first lap, and t2 is the time to complete the second lap. By finding expressions for t1 and t2 in terms of L and the respective speeds, we can then add the times together and replace them in the equation to solve for vave. In this case, the average speed is the sum of the lap distances (2L) divided by the sum of the
NettioB

Homework Statement

Hi

I read a question recently on the British Mensa website and I thought the answer was 112.5mph. The answer given was 108mph. What is the calculation for this scenario?

"Lap 1 is completed at 135mph, lap 2 is completed at 90mph, what’s the average speed?"

Homework Equations

summation and division of two numbers

The Attempt at a Solution

135 plus 90 equals 225. 225 divided by 2 eqals 112.5

Thanks.

N.

Physics news on Phys.org
NettioB said:

Homework Equations

summation and division of two numbers
Not in this case. Averaging is sometimes tricky. Average speed is defined as total distance traveled divided by total time required to travel that distance. Use this idea and you might be surprised with the result.

NettioB said:
So? Can you do the calculation as I indicated? It requires a little bit of algebra or the realization that is question is entirely analogous to finding the equivalent resistance of two resistors in parallel or the equivalent capacitance of two capacitors in series.

With this information I cannot. We only have two average speeds, one per lap (or two constant speeds, one per lap). We have neither a distance or a time.

NettioB said:
We have neither a distance or a time.
Neither of these are needed. Just the knowledge that the laps are of equal length. Start writing something down and see what develops.

Step 1. Can you write an equation for the definition of the average speed that I gave you? Use symbols for quantities that you don't know and have faith that it will all come out in the wash.

If L = lap distance and T1 and T2 = time to travel each lap, we can write:

Average speed = 4L / (T1 + T2)

But I can't get further than this.

It should be

vave = 2L/(t1+t2) where L is the distance of one lap. The total trip is two laps or 2L.

Step 2: Can you find expressions for t1 and t2 in terms of L and v1 and v2?

t1 = v1 / L

t2 = v2 / L

Vavg = 2L2 / (v1 + v2)

= 2L2 / (135 + 90)

= L2 / 112.5

Where can I go from here?

NettioB said:
t1 = v1 / L

t2 = v2 / L
No. t1 = L / v1 and t2 = L / v2.

Step 3: Now add the two times together to get the sum. Be sure to add the fractions correctly on the right side. Replace the sum t1+t2 in the equation for vave and see what you get.

What is average speed?

Average speed is a measure of the overall rate at which an object or person travels over a certain distance. It is calculated by dividing the total distance traveled by the total time taken.

Why is it important to calculate average speed from lap 1 and 2?

Calculating average speed from multiple laps allows for a more accurate representation of the overall speed of an object or person. It helps to account for any fluctuations or changes in speed during the course of the laps.

How do you calculate average speed from lap 1 and 2?

To calculate average speed from two laps, divide the total distance traveled by the total time taken to complete both laps. The formula is: Average speed = Total distance / Total time.

Can average speed be negative?

No, average speed cannot be negative. It is always a positive value, representing the overall rate at which an object or person is traveling.

What are the units for average speed?

The units for average speed are typically distance per time, such as miles per hour or meters per second. The specific unit will depend on the units used for distance and time in the calculation.