1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B.S. in physics, Masters in Aerospace Engineering?

  1. Dec 21, 2014 #1
    Hi, I'm a high school senior and I want to study Aerospace Engineering but my local university doesn't have it and going to another university is not an option, so what should my B.S. be? Physics? or an engineering that is somehow related to aerospace? Plus, does Masters in Aerospace Engineering have good jobs?
    Thank you
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 21, 2014 #2
    You should study another engineering field. Go for Mechanical or Electrical, maybe even software. Whatever interests you.

    Physics will make it harder for you to go into engineering (though not impossible), but if you like pure science then study physics. Just want to let you know that a BS in engineering leads to more job opportunities if you want to take time off before pursuing an MS. Also, if you look at hiring from places like Boeing they really prefer engineers with PE licenses. If your ultimate goal is to work as an engineer go to an

    ABET credited school: http://www.abet.org/why-accreditation-matters/ *Make sure your university is*

    Aim to pass this exam: http://www.nspe.org/resources/licensure/what-pe ...this widens your career options.

    Study hard, but have fun! Make sure that during your college you take the time to look for experience over the summer, such as internships. Most internships in STEM are paid. You'll get paid a decent amount. Some places even provide housing. Just giving you a heads up.
  4. Dec 21, 2014 #3


    User Avatar
    Gold Member

    I agree with bluechip92. If you want to be an engineer, study engineering. For an aero career, either ME or EE will be good background. As stated, ABET accreditation is a key element also.
  5. Dec 21, 2014 #4
    Some people consider aerospace engineering to be a subset of mechanical engineering, so that would be your best bet. From what I understand, a mechanical engineer can do a lot of jobs that an aerospace engineer can do, and more general mechanical engineering jobs.
  6. Dec 23, 2014 #5
    Thanks to all of you
    Bluechic92 what is a PE license? And also if you don't mind answering, what did you study?
  7. Dec 23, 2014 #6
    Never mind I know now thanks
  8. Dec 23, 2014 #7
    Sorry I didn't elaborate what a PE license is, I guess that's what you found out? The only reason I suggest that you aim for passing the Professional Enginee license exam is because I noticed some companies require it. It really depends on what you want to do with your engineering degree. You'll find that out once you start it.

    I studied physics, but there was a point in my life where I was going to transfer out of my undergrad ( which has no engineering program) to a school that did for chemical engineering. That's the only reason I know any amount of stuff regarding engineering, but I do not know much. I too plan to apply for a Master's in engineering, but for EE. ABET crediting is only for undergrad and I think one needs a bachelors or equivalent work experience to sit for the exam for a PE license. That's why make sure the school you go to is ABET credited!

    You are in high school. It's great that you are thinking so far ahead. I did that too when I started out undergrad, if only I continued to do that. Something I learned is to keep an open mind. Majoring in engineering will provide you with a variety of skills that you can use for all sorts of jobs . You will only know that if you seek out experiences (internships, research etc.) Good luck, I am sure you will do fine. Maybe after your first two years, you can check out places like Boeing and see if they take in people for summer internships.

    Sorry if I sounded a bit harsh on the other thread you created. If you have winter break starting or celebrate any holidays , Happy _______! (for anyone reading this). .
  9. Dec 26, 2014 #8


    User Avatar
    Gold Member

    In most US states, by law, a PE license is required for anyone to legally call themselves an engineer. This means in practical terms that to practice independently, as a consultant in any engineering area, you must have this state license. It has great significance in those areas that affect public safety directly (such a structural engineering), but less in areas more removed from direct public safety concerns. My engineers in industry work under what is called "the industrial exemption." The exemption usually says something like, provided that the company's chief engineer is registered, he can take responsibility for (cover for) all engineers working under him. This is common in manufacturing industries.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook