Exploring the Difficulty of Chemistry Majors - Is Chemistry Right for Me?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's consideration of majoring in chemistry and their preference to avoid physics by choosing a Bachelor of Arts instead of a Bachelor of Science. They mention potential plans for pharmacy school and ask about the difficulty of different chemistry courses. The conversation also touches on the distinction between different areas of study in chemistry and the potential difficulty of physical chemistry compared to organic chemistry.
whatlifeforme
I was contemplating majoring in chemistry when I go back to university. I don't want to do this physics (not that i don't like physics nor is it that i can't - just not interested in taking the classes).

Thus, I would do a Bachelors of Arts instead of science to avoid the physics. I was thinking pharmacy school after this, or stopping with Bachelors.

How does the difficulty change as one progresses through the major?

General Chemistry (not a big fan; made good grade without studying much; easy at cc) Organic Chemistry (took, dropped; loved it)
Physical Chemistry (not taken)
Biochemistry (not taken)
Analytical Chemistry (not taken)
Inorganic Chemistry (not taken)
Other Upper Levels.

How does the difficulty change from each? Is physical more like general than organic?
If chemistry major is anything like organic chemistry, then chemistry is definitely for me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Chemistry has four largely distinct areas of study; analytical, inorganic, physical and organic chemistry. Physical chemistry is similar to physics in comparison to organic chemistry.

Most schools will give you the freedom to take electives in organic chemistry though, and you can join an organic chemistry lab at your university most likely and get a real flavor of what organic chemistry is like.

In terms of difficulty, some people find organic impossibly difficult, some find physical chemistry very hard. P. Chem is more mathematical than organic, if you enjoy calculus then you'll probably like it.

1. What makes chemistry majors difficult?

The difficulty of chemistry majors can vary depending on individual strengths and weaknesses, but in general, chemistry requires a strong foundation in math, critical thinking skills, and the ability to memorize and apply complex concepts. Additionally, lab work can be challenging for some students.

2. How do I know if chemistry is right for me?

Choosing a major is a personal decision and it's important to consider your interests, strengths, and career goals. If you enjoy problem-solving, have a strong interest in science, and are willing to put in the time and effort, then chemistry may be a good fit for you.

3. What kind of jobs can I get with a chemistry degree?

A chemistry degree can lead to a variety of career paths, including research and development, pharmaceuticals, environmental science, and education. Many chemistry majors also go on to pursue graduate or professional degrees in fields such as medicine, dentistry, or law.

4. How can I succeed in a chemistry major?

Success in a chemistry major requires dedication, hard work, and effective study habits. It's important to attend lectures, participate in labs, and seek help from professors or tutors when needed. Additionally, practicing problems and reviewing material regularly can help improve understanding and retention.

5. Are there any resources available to help me with a chemistry major?

Most universities offer resources such as tutoring, study groups, and supplemental instruction for students in challenging majors like chemistry. It's also helpful to join student organizations, attend office hours, and utilize online resources such as textbooks and practice problems.