BA of Physics&Math wants to get into Mechanical or Electrical or Optical Eng Phd

In summary, the speaker is attending a 50+ Liberal Arts college as a double major in physics and math and is going to be a senior. They have a high GPA and have conducted research at ORNL. They are asking for advice on going into graduate school in the engineering field, specifically if it is harder than a BS or engineering Bachelor's degree. They mention that several people from their college have successfully pursued engineering PhDs with a physics and math background. They are seeking more information on the rigor and benefits of this route from those who have already done it.
zagwi
Hi,
I'm attending a 50+ Liberal Art college in physics and math, double major, I'm going to be a senior this fall and want to go to graduate school. I have major GPAs 3.81, 3,73 for physics and math respectively and 3.57 overall, GRE 670+800. I also conducted research at ORNL at material processing group on additive manufacturing, this is the only research I formally did.
Does anyone here know of anything about physics&math major going into graduate school in Engineering field I mentioned in the title? Is it generally harder than BS, or engineering Bachelors? What is your suggestions if I just want to go to Engineering phd?

Appreciate any comments :)

Physics news on Phys.org
anyone?

Quite a few people at my small liberal arts college have finished double majors in physics and math and gone on to do mechanical or chemical engineering phDs (one such major is currently doing a MechE phD at Johns Hopkins), so I know it is possible.

As for the rigor, benefits and costs of taking such a route, I wish more people who have actually done this would provide further insight. I am still an undergraduate, and am planning to pursue graduate studies in engineering with a physics major/math minor as well.

1. What is the difference between Mechanical, Electrical, and Optical Engineering?

Mechanical engineering focuses on the design, development, and maintenance of mechanical systems and devices. Electrical engineering deals with the study and application of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism. Optical engineering involves the design and manipulation of light and its applications in technology.

2. Can a person with a BA in Physics and Math pursue a PhD in any of these engineering fields?

Yes, a person with a BA in Physics and Math can pursue a PhD in Mechanical, Electrical, or Optical Engineering. While a background in engineering may be helpful, many graduate programs also accept students with degrees in related fields such as physics or mathematics.

3. What skills are necessary for a successful transition from a BA in Physics and Math to a PhD in engineering?

Some important skills for a successful transition include a strong foundation in mathematics, problem-solving abilities, critical thinking skills, and a curiosity for how things work. Additionally, knowledge of programming languages and proficiency in scientific research methods can be beneficial.

4. Are there any specific courses or prerequisites required for a PhD in these engineering fields?

It depends on the specific program, but many graduate programs in Mechanical, Electrical, and Optical Engineering have specific course requirements, such as mathematics, physics, and engineering courses. Some programs may also require certain prerequisites or foundational knowledge in the chosen engineering field.

5. What career opportunities are available for someone with a PhD in Mechanical, Electrical, or Optical Engineering?

A PhD in any of these engineering fields can open up a wide range of career opportunities, including research and development positions in academia, government, or industry. Graduates may also find opportunities in consulting, management, or entrepreneurship in various engineering-related industries.