BA or BS - Physics or Applied Physics

In summary: Some universities may offer a specific undergraduate degree in astrophysics, but it is not as common as a graduate program. In summary, the conversation discusses various physics majors offered at the speaker's school and the differences in course requirements between them. It is noted that a BA in physics may be less rigorous and geared towards those not pursuing it at a higher level. The question of whether astrophysics can be studied at the undergraduate level is also brought up, with the conclusion that it is mainly a graduate study.
spacejammin
I've been looking at various majors recently and noticed that my school offers a BA and a BS in physics, and a BS in applied physics. Looking at the course list I can see that there are more physics and math classes for the BS (6-8), while the BA only requires you to take 3 or 4 actual physics courses. Is the BA designed for those pursuing to be a high school teacher or something? Also the BS in 'applied physics' had almost the same class list as the BS in 'physics', why is this?

Also a side question, is it possible to get an undergraduate degree in astrophysics or is that mainly a graduate study?

Physics news on Phys.org
spacejammin said:
Also the BS in 'applied physics' had almost the same class list as the BS in 'physics', why is this?
In a nutshell, because the university looks cooler, if they list multiple specialized programs on their programs offered list.

I would say the BA is for double majors, the only person I ever knew to get a B.A. in physics was a double major in math and physics. If you plan to go to grad school for physics, the B.A. will leave you quite unprepared.

I'd suggest looking at the course catalog of your school. Generally the complete catalog (now usually available via an online pdf document) will give descriptions of the majors offered by the department, followed by the list of courses required for the major, followed by descriptions of the courses themselves.

Some universities offer undergraduate degrees in astrophysics, others do not.

spacejammin said:
Is the BA designed for those pursuing to be a high school teacher or something?

Not necessarily, but BA degrees in physics are generally accepted to be less rigorous and for students who aren't as "serious" about pursuing it at a higher level.

Also the BS in 'applied physics' had almost the same class list as the BS in 'physics', why is this?

As I implied above, the core courses will probably be more or less the same depending on the institution. The BS will have requirements above and beyond that of a BA.

Also a side question, is it possible to get an undergraduate degree in astrophysics or is that mainly a graduate study?

Mainly a graduate study.

1. What is the difference between a BA and a BS in Physics or Applied Physics?

A BA (Bachelor of Arts) degree in Physics or Applied Physics is generally more focused on the theoretical and conceptual aspects of the subject, while a BS (Bachelor of Science) degree has a stronger emphasis on practical applications and laboratory work. A BA may also have more flexibility in course selection, allowing students to take more electives in other areas, while a BS may have a more structured curriculum with fewer elective options.

2. Which degree is better for pursuing a career in research or academia?

Both a BA and BS in Physics or Applied Physics can lead to a career in research or academia, but a BS may be more beneficial for those specifically interested in working in a laboratory or conducting experiments. A BA may be a better option for those interested in pursuing a career in theoretical physics or teaching at the high school level.

3. Can I switch between a BA and BS in Physics or Applied Physics during my undergraduate studies?

In most cases, it is possible to switch between a BA and BS degree during your undergraduate studies. However, this may depend on the specific requirements and policies of your university. It is important to consult with your academic advisor to determine the best path for your individual goals and interests.

4. Are there any specific career paths that a BA or BS in Physics or Applied Physics is best suited for?

A BA or BS in Physics or Applied Physics can lead to a wide range of career opportunities, such as research, teaching, engineering, data analysis, and more. The specific career path will depend on your individual interests, skills, and experiences. However, a BS may be more beneficial for those interested in pursuing careers in industries such as aerospace, energy, or telecommunications.

5. How can I decide which degree and specialization is right for me?

It is important to carefully consider your interests, skills, and career goals when deciding between a BA or BS in Physics or Applied Physics. Researching the curriculum and course offerings of each degree, as well as speaking with academic advisors and current students, can also help you make a well-informed decision. Additionally, gaining hands-on experience through internships or research opportunities can give you a better understanding of which specialization and degree may be the best fit for you.