Backup Generator for 90 Apartments: Is My Understanding Right?

• Thread starter ariseawake
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Generator
In summary, the speaker is from India and has a backup generator in their community. They want to connect the generator directly to each apartment with a current limiter and a changeover switch, but the builder says it may not be possible due to potential issues with the generator and normal supply neutrals. The speaker also asks for suggestions on auto changeover switches and current limiter ratings. The expert suggests adjusting the droop setting on the engine governor for current limiting and warns about potential overloading of the generator. They also clarify that a current limiter is not a valve to control the flow of current into individual households.
ariseawake
Hi friends,
Iam from india(230v).Iam no good in Electrical distribution.We have a back up generator in our community of 160kva.We have 90 apartments. From the generator wiring is directly done to few lights points and fan points in the household which would make them function when the normal powersupply fails.But I wanted the supply to be given directly parallel to the normal supply with a current limiter so that we can choose the load as per requirement.
But the builder says it may not be possible now and he quotes reasons which i don't follow fully and agree...He says there would be problem with gene neutral and normal supply neutral which I cannot agree.I feel all that is required is a automatic changeover switch with a current limiter.
note :Generator is a 3 phase generator. But only single phase is given to individual apartment.(may be distributed)

My questions are,
1.Is my understanding right that it should be easily possible to connect the generator o/p to each apartments main parallelly with a changeover switch and current limiter.

2.What should be the current limiter rating for above specs.
3.Would you refer to any particular type auto change over switch.Any brand or make or part no.Because builder is washing off hands that he does not know any.

Please help me with your suggestion.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Forgot to mention input from normal power supply is 3 phase 230 v.

What you need is a droop setting on the governor of your engine. When you parallel to the grid, you'll need a synchroscope to make sure you're in phase with the grid before closing the breaker connecting the generator output to the grid. Most utilities will adjust the governor of the engine to make sure the engine is running a little higher than the grid (60.1 Hz for a 60 Hz grid in the US). This is done to ensure that the generator picks up load when it is paralleled. If the generator speed is below the grid frequency, you run the risk of motoring the generator.

I'm not sure what you're thinking with the change over switch and the current limiter. A droop setting on the engine governor will accomplish the current limiting behavior that you're after, as the governor will adjust engine speed to provide the power that you set on the droop control.

Google droop and diesel generators.

I think that the main problem that you will have is overloading the generator 160 KVA gives a little less then 2 KW per household if all the house holds have for instance electric water heaters, freezers etc they could well overload your generator, this is probably the reason that houses were originally supplied with only a few lights and sockets, in the first place.
I'm not sure what you mean by a current limiter in an industrial setting a current limiter is a device that reduces the spike of current in a fault condition it's not a "valve" that can limit the flow of current into an individual house or flat.

What is a backup generator for 90 apartments?

A backup generator for 90 apartments is a power source that is able to provide electricity to 90 apartments in the event of a power outage or emergency. It is typically installed in a central location and connected to the apartments' electrical systems.

How does a backup generator for 90 apartments work?

A backup generator for 90 apartments works by using an internal combustion engine to generate electricity. When there is a disruption in the main power supply, the generator automatically turns on and supplies electricity to the apartments. Once the main power is restored, the generator will turn off.

What are the benefits of having a backup generator for 90 apartments?

Having a backup generator for 90 apartments provides several benefits, including ensuring that residents have access to electricity during power outages, maintaining essential services such as elevators and emergency lighting, and preventing potential damages to sensitive equipment and appliances.

What factors should be considered when choosing a backup generator for 90 apartments?

When choosing a backup generator for 90 apartments, it is important to consider the power requirements of the building, the type of fuel it uses, its size and capacity, and the reliability and maintenance requirements of the generator. It is also important to consider any local building codes and regulations.

How often should a backup generator for 90 apartments be tested and maintained?

A backup generator for 90 apartments should be tested and maintained regularly to ensure it is functioning properly. It is recommended to have a professional inspect and service the generator at least once a year, and to perform monthly tests to ensure it is in good working condition.