Who is Right: Backward Difference Table or Forward Difference Table?

In summary, there was a conversation about a backward difference table and whether it was correct or not. The person who asked the question marked a comment on the screen. The other person confirmed that the table was indeed wrong. They also discussed whether the table was a forward or backward difference table, and it was concluded that it depended on how the entries were aligned and labeled. The conversation also mentioned the use of discrete calculus and the FTC. It was noted that the columns of the table were labeled differently, which can lead to confusion. However, the person failed to notice the labels and thought they were the same as the ones used for forward differences. Overall, the table was deemed to be incorrect and unusual in its reading direction.
momentum
<Moderator's note: Please upload images for otherwise the links might get broken.>

Here is the backward difference table given in my book

https://prnt.sc/n2965l

But it seems this table is wrong. I have marked my comment in the screen.

Can you please tell who is right ?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Yes you are correct they made an error.

momentum said:
<Moderator's note: Please upload images for otherwise the links might get broken.>

Here is the backward difference table given in my book

https://prnt.sc/n2965lView attachment 240773
But it seems this table is wrong. I have marked my comment in the screen.

Can you please tell who is right ?

(1) Yes, you are right.
(2) Isn't that a forward-difference table?

Whether it is a forward or backward difference table depends on how you allign entries. Since the table has the differences half way between the terms they subtract you can view them as forward differences (next row's entry minus this row's) by assuming the rows slant downward to the left. Letting the rows slant upward allows you to call them backward differences (this row's entry minus the previous row's).

jambaugh said:
Whether it is a forward or backward difference table depends on how you align entries.
And on how you label them - the columns here are labelled ## \nabla, \nabla^2 ... ## which by convention refers to backward differences i.e ## x_n - x_{n-1} ## (forward differences ## \Delta ## being ## x_{n+1} - x_n ##).

I ran into this with my Survey of Calc students this semester. I taught them a bit of discrete calculus because it makes things like the FTC rather obvious. But many are Econ students used to taking backward differences when I insist (so certain facts line up) that we work primarily with forward differences. So I don't mark their completed tables wrong but bless them out a bit on the comments when I return work. (Mainly about knowing which is which and being sure to follow the given instructions.)

Easy FTC proof: A sum of successive forward differences cancel all but the last minus first term. Multipy by h/h and the sum becomes a Riemann sum and the differences become difference quotients. Take the simultaneous limit and you have a definite integral of a derivative equals difference in end values.

pbuk said:
And on how you label them - the columns here are labelled ## \nabla, \nabla^2 ... ## which by convention refers to backward differences i.e ## x_n - x_{n-1} ## (forward differences ## \Delta ## being ## x_{n+1} - x_n ##).

Ok, I failed to look at the column labels---that is, I thought they were ##\Delta##, etc.

However, to me the table looks weird; over many decades of viewing tables, I have never seen tables that you read from bottom to top; reading from top to bottom seems to be almost a universal convention (albeit undocumented), rather like that of reading from left to right in Western languages.

What is a backward difference table?

A backward difference table is a method used to calculate the differences between consecutive values in a sequence. It is commonly used in numerical analysis and can be used to approximate derivatives of a function.

How is a backward difference table constructed?

To construct a backward difference table, the values in a sequence are listed in a column. The first row of the table contains the original values. The second row contains the differences between the first and second values, the third row contains the differences between the second and third values, and so on.

What is the purpose of a backward difference table?

The purpose of a backward difference table is to simplify the calculation of derivatives of a function. By using the differences between consecutive values in a sequence, the table can provide an approximation of the derivative at any point in the sequence.

How is a backward difference table different from a forward difference table?

A backward difference table calculates the differences between consecutive values in a sequence starting from the last value, while a forward difference table starts from the first value. This means that a backward difference table is useful for approximating derivatives at the end of a sequence, while a forward difference table is useful for approximating derivatives at the beginning of a sequence.

What are the limitations of a backward difference table?

A backward difference table can only provide an approximation of the derivative at a specific point in a sequence. It is also limited by the accuracy of the original values in the sequence. Additionally, the accuracy of the approximation decreases as the order of the differences increases.